Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All I'm saying is...

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F

All I'm saying is...

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

Almost the same spot where I had my tank slapper experience earlier this year. I'm riding home from work behind a black car, as per usual nothing special about this, on my way home very near my house (I can almost f*&n see it) on a very straight piece of road are some railway lines, car brakes I brake, next thing I know from the corner of my eye he's waiving over the top of his roof for me to pass him on the inside, as this I find quite unusual I am distracted enough to not realise he has essentially stopped at the railway crossing due to the fact that his very low Nissan Silvia may not make it in one piece were he to drive normally over said railway line. I brake harder but do not have a hope in stopping in time. Now the unexplainable happens.

Instead of the swerve and avoid manoeuvre I know I should have employed (explainable I know), under brakes I run straight into the back left of the Siliva going I don't know how fast, I distinctly remember my face/visor being centimetres from the bottom edge of his rear windscreen and me sliding up the boot, I remember the sound of hitting the car... unsure if the sound was bike hitting car or me hitting car, I am uncertain, but pretty sure I wasn't holding the bars by this time and vaguely remember sliding back down the boot of the car.. straight onto my waiting bike which by this time it would seem was in the process of causing a fuckin whopping great big long dent on the rear left quarter panel (on a Siliva this begins at the rear facing part of the car above the stop lights and continues around to the door frame) said dent stretches from the top of this panel above the brake light to almost knee level ending half a meter from the passengers door! I can only assume this was caused by the right bar end because nothing apart from that and me hit the car... I'm thinking "Jesus I'm still upright" I expected to be sliding by this point but I'm upright on two wheels and braking again to pull over and stop on the left, I get off the bike and give the Silivia driver two thumbs up as they walk over, helmet off expect bike is at least forks bent due to impact and front guard gone.. no damage, check road for white GPX fairings, no fairings, they are still on bike.. unscratched... pat myself down, move all muscle groups that spring to mind, decide I have bump on right shin from plastic bumper, no injuries. Car driver seems pretty happy I am unhurt, swap details, he seems pretty nervous, I try crackin jokes but he's not having it.. to ease the tension I admit fault as I hit him from behind, he seems happier after I do this, say our goodbyes, bike wont start... somehow I have managed to hit the "engine off" switch as well. I ride home and decide I'm still going to the gym anyway. Gym was great btw.

Lessons learnt today:

1. Following distances are really fuckin important even when its bone dry.
    2. I will be practising brake & swerve till I run out of petrol money asafp.
    3. I am lucky to be typing and every day's a gift.

I didn't post this looking for sympathy, I certainly expect the "slow down Rossi" etc comments I got when I posted about my tankslapper. I posted this because I was so happy with my riding, thought I was doing really well, got restricted recently and had not had any kind of incident for months, I was sure I was checking and processing everything that needed to be checked and processed and was undone because somebody did something I didn't expect them to do.... they waved.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Slow down Rossi.

Good to hear your ok mate!

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F
    HAHA, thanks mate, I'll have an excess to pay but I'm happy to do so when I think about the other options that could have applied.

Bike
    Sonic the Second (II)
    Wow you admitted fault quick In saying that, you were there and know if the following distances where good or not.

It's funny. We seem to learn the "expect the unexpected" the hard way. haha. Sux really. I thought I learnt it from others until I found out I didn't

At least you learnt it with minimal cost. You buying a lotto ticket? Better still, grab a Big Wednesday and I'll have the Porsche

You're really getting some "experience" under your belt. I'm yet to experience the art of "slapping thy tank".

Glad your good

Bike
    SF
    Good to hear you're OK. I was admiring your paint job down at unirec this evening. If you were following the car in the right wheel track, why did u decide to undertake the car on the left instead of overtake on the right?
    You may or may not remember Peter Brock and his ad campaign "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule" though there's not a lot of that happening around Hamiltron

Bike
    It's a Ninja,that's why you can't see it
    Slow down Rossi! LOL.

Sounds like you learnt all you needed to, from the incident. I learnt my lesson in following distances earlier this year. Something you never forget.

Good on yer.

Bike
    It's a Ninja,that's why you can't see it
    Slow down Rossi! LOL.

Sounds like you learnt all you needed to, from the incident. I learnt my lesson in following distances earlier this year. Something you never forget afterwards.

Good on yer.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Following distances can be a funny thing - we know we're meant to observe them at all times (expect the unexpected being the primary reason) and yet when conditions are good or we're on a piece of familiar road it's so easily overlooked. The road is dry, traffic is "predictable", we know the stretch/bends like the back of our hand...

Like everyone else has said thank goodness you are ok, and thanks for reminding us all how easy it can be to get caught out when we least expect it.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike104 View Post
    EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

Almost the same spot where I had my tank slapper experience earlier this year. I'm riding home from work behind a black car, as per usual nothing special about this, on my way home very near my house (I can almost f*&n see it) on a very straight piece of road are some railway lines, car brakes I brake, next thing I know from the corner of my eye he's waiving over the top of his roof for me to pass him on the inside, as this I find quite unusual I am distracted enough to not realise he has essentially stopped at the railway crossing due to the fact that his very low Nissan Silvia may not make it in one piece were he to drive normally over said railway line. I brake harder but do not have a hope in stopping in time. Now the unexplainable happens.

Instead of the swerve and avoid manoeuvre I know I should have employed (explainable I know), under brakes I run straight into the back left of the Siliva going I don't know how fast, I distinctly remember my face/visor being centimetres from the bottom edge of his rear windscreen and me sliding up the boot, I remember the sound of hitting the car... unsure if the sound was bike hitting car or me hitting car, I am uncertain, but pretty sure I wasn't holding the bars by this time and vaguely remember sliding back down the boot of the car.. straight onto my waiting bike which by this time it would seem was in the process of causing a fuckin whopping great big long dent on the rear left quarter panel (on a Siliva this begins at the rear facing part of the car above the stop lights and continues around to the door frame) said dent stretches from the top of this panel above the brake light to almost knee level ending half a meter from the passengers door! I can only assume this was caused by the right bar end because nothing apart from that and me hit the car... I'm thinking "Jesus I'm still upright" I expected to be sliding by this point but I'm upright on two wheels and braking again to pull over and stop on the left, I get off the bike and give the Silivia driver two thumbs up as they walk over, helmet off expect bike is at least forks bent due to impact and front guard gone.. no damage, check road for white GPX fairings, no fairings, they are still on bike.. unscratched... pat myself down, move all muscle groups that spring to mind, decide I have bump on right shin from plastic bumper, no injuries. Car driver seems pretty happy I am unhurt, swap details, he seems pretty nervous, I try crackin jokes but he's not having it.. to ease the tension I admit fault as I hit him from behind, he seems happier after I do this, say our goodbyes, bike wont start... somehow I have managed to hit the "engine off" switch as well. I ride home and decide I'm still going to the gym anyway. Gym was great btw.

Lessons learnt today:

1. Following distances are really fuckin important even when its bone dry.
    2. I will be practising brake & swerve till I run out of petrol money asafp.
    3. I am lucky to be typing and every day's a gift.

I didn't post this looking for sympathy, I certainly expect the "slow down Rossi" etc comments I got when I posted about my tankslapper. I posted this because I was so happy with my riding, thought I was doing really well, got restricted recently and had not had any kind of incident for months, I was sure I was checking and processing everything that needed to be checked and processed and was undone because somebody did something I didn't expect them to do.... they waved.
    i think that this illustrates that motorcycles are NOT manouverable.We tend to think we are cos we are narrow but in actual fact a car can perform manouvres that a bike can not.At higher speeds this is also true,maybe even more so.To swerve you need to apply some fairly serious contersteering pressure.Unless you have practised i dont think this is normal behaviour for any motorcyclist

Bike
    A few
    Yr still an egg for running up his rear , but "very low" sorta tells me the sylvia wont be up to warrant standard and shouldn't be on the road to start with, no wonder he was nervous !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I thought this was just another a thread about waving...
    ... until I concentrated and discovered that it is really about following distances, observation skills and luck of both sorts...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    09 Duc Monster 1100
    lucky bastard!

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Yr still an egg for running up his rear , but "very low" sorta tells me the sylvia wont be up to warrant standard and shouldn't be on the road to start with, no wonder he was nervous !
    First thing I thought too

Glad your all OK and the bikes still going - May see you Sunday for a ride

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Hahahaha

Watch all the experts come along with hindsight advice even though it's obvious you learn't your lesson.......

Good attitude mate.
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    So dude seriously. What did you learn?
    In your opinion what should you do differently in future?
    Sometimes the best lessons are those learned the hard way.

Here's my take for what its worth.
    In traffic you should "cover" the front brake lever.-Fingers resting on top of it
    In traffic always be looking for an escape route -better still multiple escape routes.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information