Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb float question

Bike
    1998 HD XL1200

Carb float question

Keihin PD26 carb from a CB125T. Bike sat for many years, cleaned and rebuilt carbs, all new parts except floats. Bike ran great for the first couple of short rides.

Now, left side carb floods as soon as you turn on the fuel tap. Disassembled, check float height, all good (12mm). Float needle moving free. With carb off and float bowl off, gently blew into a hose connected to fuel port while moving the float up and down, and float needle appears to be sealing fine.

Removed float, immersed in water, no bubbles. Dropped in a bucket of gas, floats.

If the float needle seals (it does), and the float floats (it does), what am I missing?? This is a plastic type float, bear in mind it sat for many years. Could the float have "gained" some weight somehow over the years due to porosity or something? But the fact that it floats in petrol means there is no reason it shouldn't be closing the needle?

Tell me I'm missing something obvious, because I'm losing sleep over this. And of course new floats seem unobtainable.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    You can connect clear hose to bowl drain.
    Raise end of clear hose above carb.
    Now you can see till what level fuel goes before needle seals and shuts of fuel....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Rust in the tank getting in between needle's rubber taper and seat?

Tiny spring plunger in needle moving freely or jammed with old petrol varnish?

Float is jamming in bowl somehow?

Needle valve rubber tip gone hard over time, seals sometimes and not others?

All i can think of at the moment, sounds like a bit of a puzzle.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by jjc839 View Post
    Keihin PD26 carb from a CB125T. Bike sat for many years, cleaned and rebuilt carbs, all new parts except floats. Bike ran great for the first couple of short rides.

Now, left side carb floods as soon as you turn on the fuel tap. Disassembled, check float height, all good (12mm). Float needle moving free. With carb off and float bowl off, gently blew into a hose connected to fuel port while moving the float up and down, and float needle appears to be sealing fine.

Removed float, immersed in water, no bubbles. Dropped in a bucket of gas, floats.

If the float needle seals (it does), and the float floats (it does), what am I missing?? This is a plastic type float, bear in mind it sat for many years. Could the float have "gained" some weight somehow over the years due to porosity or something? But the fact that it floats in petrol means there is no reason it shouldn't be closing the needle?

Tell me I'm missing something obvious, because I'm losing sleep over this. And of course new floats seem unobtainable.
    Tap the side of the float bowl while its leaking with a soft rubber hammer.
    order a new carb kit anyway they are not that expensive.
    Cb125 single or xr200 floats likely fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1998 HD XL1200
    Thanks all.

Tried the clear rubber hose attached to the drain, turned on tap and fuel goes up to the level of the carb throat (where it obviously leaks out the jets).

New float needles, so rubber in good shape and spring is free and functioning. Carb kit was installed however it didn't come with floats.

Float needle seals when blowing in fuel inlet with air, and there is an inline filter so shouldn't be any rust. Float bowl is clean.

Tried tapping on float bowl, no change.

It really is as though the float isn't moving at all. I don't know how it could be jamming up, everything is aligned, nothing bent, etc.

The only thing I can think of is that they are heavier than original, but still just light enough to float in petrol. I'll have a look for some XR200 floats, cheers.

Bike
    wr450f
    Is the float binding on the new bowl gasket?

Are the bowl vents clogged?

Wack the carbs harder, might dislodge the floats

Worst case, buy new float valves and seats (if the seats are replaceable).
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    1998 HD XL1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Askor View Post
    Is the float binding on the new bowl gasket?

Are the bowl vents clogged?

Wack the carbs harder, might dislodge the floats

Worst case, buy new float valves and seats (if the seats are replaceable).
    Bowl gasket is o-ring style, so no chance of binding.

Fuel comes out the vent when the tap is turned on, and I can blow through it, so it's clear.

Float valves are new. Seats are non-removable.

Bike
    Does valve close when you hold carb upside down and blow through fuel line?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    back to the clear tube thing. if the float has changed bouancy, change the height. bend the tab so it's lifting sooner and closing before flooding.

Bike
    1998 HD XL1200
    back to the clear tube thing. if the float has changed bouancy, change the height. bend the tab so it's lifting sooner and closing before flooding.
    Valve closes and seals when carb is held upside down.

Good idea on the change of buoyancy. I'll try to increasing the float height to counter it and see if that helps.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Bike
    1998 HD XL1200
    Update:

Just because floats float, and don't appear to have any holes/cracks, doesn't mean they are any good.

With the carb on the bike, I removed the float bowl and put a clear plastic container in its place. Turned the fuel on, and sure enough the float was almost completely submerged before it pushed the needle up, which resulted in the fuel level being right up to the flange.

Adjusted the float height from 12 to 15 mm, and although still running rich, at least it isn't flooding. New floats on the way.

Thanks for all the help.

Bike
    Good to hear you got to the bottom of it...well done

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    your welcome.

as to running rich. where in the range?
    worn jets likely.

Bike
    1998 HD XL1200
    your welcome.

as to running rich. where in the range?
    worn jets likely.
    Runs good, hard to tell, bit of a stumble midrange. Stock size pilot and main, new.

Fuel level is still too high so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Will reassess with new floats. Plugs sooty.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Check for a blocked/dirty air filter. that will cause it to run rich .... and the path from the filter to the carb for leaks too.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information