Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No headlights

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    I had a similar problem on a honda blackbird, after much head scratching it turned out to be the start button sticking on as the start system disconnects power to headlights while depressed, I had the fairings off and everything when i accidentally knocked the switch and lights came on, hope this helps, good luck.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    It is probably a different power feed for the indicators than for the headlights, as the indicator flasher unit is normally between the power supply and the handlebar switch.

I'd be starting with finding the connector for the switch block and check for fried contacts, if not that would have to resort to following the volts from one end to the other to see where they stop, a test lamp will give more definite results than a multimeter if there is a dodgy connection somewhere.
    I've done some testing with a mutlimeter. I don't get any volatge at the light plug. I'll check the 'bar switch more thoroughly tonight.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Nougo View Post
    I had a similar problem on a honda blackbird, after much head scratching it turned out to be the start button sticking on as the start system disconnects power to headlights while depressed, I had the fairings off and everything when i accidentally knocked the switch and lights came on, hope this helps, good luck.
    Interesting thought. Another thing to ckeck tonight.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Mine

Update

Just pulled the light switch block apart. As soon as I pulled the switch out of the block the lights started working. Not sure what yet but something in there is flaky. Probably contact I'm thinking. I'll have a good look at the wire attachment points - might me a loose wire.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    they were dim on Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dim.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	739.0 KB 
ID:	325054  

Bike
    Mine

Further Update

Pulled the switch apart. The contacts were very dirty and one side was badly corroded. Managed to clean it all up with a bit of 0000 steel wool I had lying around.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    they were dim on Sunday.
    Doesn't surprise me. Haven't been out after dark for a few weeks. Only noticed it this time because I was late home from work.

They werer fine last week when I did my weekly check. Must've been right on the cusp.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO

Thumbs up

10 characters

Bike
    Mine

A further and (hopefully) final update

Went out on Thursday night. The headlights were fine. Went to start the bike on Friday morning and nothing.

Split the switch open again last night and found no current getting to it. Did some continuity testing and found both high and low beam fine from switch to fuse. Also, Harness plug to switch was fine. Obviously something loose or broken in the harness past the plug.

Had a think and decided to put a relay in to supply power to the switch. Then it dawned on me that I already have a relay in for a USB charger under the seat. This morning I ran a new wire from there to the switch power line and voila, I now have lights again. Don't know exactly were the break is. It'd be a nightmare to find and the relay works so I'm happy.

PS: Timing worked out brilliantly. Bike's due for a minor service next weekend so, while I have everything off (fairing, tank etc.) I did it today. Now I have labout weekend completely free with a bike that works.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Thanks for relaying that update to us.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    Thanks for relaying that update to us.
    No worries. Least I can do for the help I've had. If nothing else it got me thinking along the right lines.

More than 24 hours now and they're still working...

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    I'd still check the overall voltage drop at the light bulb connector plug. If its a couple volts lower than 12v it will be drawing higher Amperage/current through the handlebar switch, which will accelerate deterioration in those contacts. If the voltage drop is not attended to, the problem will return at some point.

Re-routing higher voltage to the switch, and then subsequently on to the bulb will provide the higher voltage and lower current supply required to operate as it did when new. It is however still the switch contacts routing all the current draw to the bulb that is the design problem on what is now a 10 year old bike. This is obviously working well for you, and may continue for a long time, but it sounds like the switch contacts are already a bit dicey.

Re-routing the main current draw via a relay to the bulb, and just activating the relay via the handlebar switch contacts is the final fix.

Mr Suzuki made a good cheap model in the GSX/F range. It is what it is though, and prone to ageing. Mine (600f) is 1992 and still going strong with thoughtful maintenance being required a bit more frequently now.

I recently bought a 1996 Bandit that seems it has never had maintenance done. Still a great bike for what it is. Working my way through that now.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    is it a lights on all the time model, whether it is or not you could install one double pole relay with the feed to it, a signal from the light switch to the common, either high or low to operate the relay, not both and use the two poles to go to high and low, half the cost half the hassle
    Yeah Nah the PDF I sent him covered that, and various other scenarios, and the relay types required/pin config required.

IIRC none of the GSX/F models in NZ new were lights on all the time. The PDF covers setting up for lights on full time.

If Ducati have been turning motorcyclists into mechanics since year dot, Mr Suzuki has been turning us into electricians......

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    I'd still check the overall voltage drop at the light bulb connector plug. If its a couple volts lower than 12v it will be drawing higher Amperage/current through the handlebar switch, which will accelerate deterioration in those contacts. If the voltage drop is not attended to, the problem will return at some point.
    In the short time it was working after cleaning the switch the voltage was 12.something.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    In the short time it was working after cleaning the switch the voltage was 12.something.
    You should be all good then. Bit of di-electric grease might be helpful on the switch contacts too.

Glad you are sorted.

Thread Information