Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric impact wrench

Bike
    KTM530EXC

Electric impact wrench

I recently got me an electric impact wrench, mains plug in style. It is superb for undoing stuff, especially the hard stuff like crank and clutch nuts that you usually have to jam with some special tool to stop it rotating. Today, I had a bastard nut that I wanted to tighten - couldn't find a way to stop it rotating so used the impact gun gently. But alas, it came undone when I started the engine and rode about a bit. So, I did it up a bit more, carefully, watching it rotate etc. You kinda get the feel for it after a while. Anyway, I was rummaging around online and found something called 'torque sticks'. Usually used for putting on car wheels, but many criticise them for being inaccurate. Well, I have ordered me a set and shall test them by comparing my electric with my standard hand torque wrench. If I know the true torque values of the torque sticks, it could save a lot of hassle for stuff over 100Nm or 75ft lbs.

Anyone else tried this?
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Please review your impact wrench. I think these could be a great idea for myself.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What he said re electric impact wrench. Price - a quick google shows them as fairly expensive.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    OK I shall. I just ordered the torque sticks on ebay today.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...20275&_sacat=0

My wrench is: Makita TW0350 with a 1/2 inch drive.
    I wanted a mains one as they have more power. I was worried that a battery one costing several hundred dollars with battery and charger would not be up to the task. I looked online - some can't undo wheel nuts. I have no interest in car wheel nuts but if it can't undo one it ain't much use.

Amazon review - you have to scroll down a bit for it: https://www.amazon.com/Makita-TW0350.../dp/B000140B5O
    There are many other reviews.

This Makita tools is pretty heavy but it is not like I would be using it very often. I may get a smaller battery one for just undoing and nipping up bolts - then torqueing by hand etc. Some of the battery ones are quite light and comfortable to use. Dewalt / Makita seem the best. But I have been using a cheapo Ryobi $50 rechargeable electric screwdriver for several years - it is not very powerful but is really handy for screwing in or undoing loose bolts that I crack with my normal sockets. A slightly more powerful one would be good for loosening bastard bolds on outboards, when you have to tighten/untighten with WD40 umpteen times to get them out safely.

I initially got it to undo stuff but today I needed it to fasten a nut. Hence the torque stick quest. Many speak against them, but I shall give them a go and compare their measured torques to a real hand held torque wrench, or two. Can't see a problem if accurate.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    What he said re electric impact wrench. Price - a quick google shows them as fairly expensive.
    I got mine secondhand in NZ. Brand new in America not too expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Makita-TW0350.../dp/B000140B5O
    Of course, there would be postage. But heck, cheaper than a battery one maybe. And more power. I always wanted an air wrench but couldn't be bothered with all the associated pipes and compressor. Shoulda got me one of these a long time ago. It is superb.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I got mine secondhand in NZ. Brand new in America not too expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Makita-TW0350.../dp/B000140B5O
    Of course, there would be postage. But heck, cheaper than a battery one maybe. And more power. I always wanted an air wrench but couldn't be bothered with all the associated pipes and compressor. Shoulda got me one of these a long time ago. It is superb.
    if it's from america it's probably 110 volts, we're 230 so it'll gt the job done twice as fast.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I bought a battery Dewalt a couple of summers ago when working on the car... fantastic tool for undoing stuck bolts. Pricey but worth every cent.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    I wanted a mains one as they have more power. I was worried that a battery one costing several hundred dollars with battery and charger would not be up to the task. I looked online - some can't undo wheel nuts. I have no interest in car wheel nuts but if it can't undo one it ain't much use.
    The tyre shops these days all seem to have cordless. Mainly Dewalt or Milwaukee. The Makita one I tested recently is good for trucks! Not sure about other brands but talking to some fitters they all rate them highly? After they fitted the wheels on my ute they just went around with a torque wrench and it was just a tiny nip up if anything. They weren't using the torque sticks either that they always had on the pneumatic gear. Maybe cos they are less powerful, or the torque settings are now more reliable. However as you say, it is a big expense if you have no other use for the tool or the battery.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    The tyre shops these days all seem to have cordless. Mainly Dewalt or Milwaukee. The Makita one I tested recently is good for trucks! Not sure about other brands but talking to some fitters they all rate them highly? After they fitted the wheels on my ute they just went around with a torque wrench and it was just a tiny nip up if anything. They weren't using the torque sticks either that they always had on the pneumatic gear. Maybe cos they are less powerful, or the torque settings are now more reliable. However as you say, it is a big expense if you have no other use for the tool or the battery.
    Yeah, the boys at Carters Tyres are now using them on the trucks. When the trial on the Milwaukee 18v unit started, there were some giggles and comments about these things being "toys" and all, but they get a wheel nut rattled loose quite easily. And that's on a unit where they've been torqued to between 450-500 Nm. Must admit it took me by surprise. Just goes to show technology keeps moving along quite nicely.

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    I bought on of these a year ago for a job I was doing on my scoot....

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Prod...-Li-Ion/342595

It works fricken awesome... saved me major time & $$

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Supersize Me

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Torque sticks are great. The mistake people make is they think they can still over tighten and don't hold the trigger long enough.

Ya do the nut up and let it rattle till there's no more movement. Torque set, move on.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    The tyre shops these days all seem to have cordless. Mainly Dewalt or Milwaukee. ... However as you say, it is a big expense if you have no other use for the tool or the battery.
    Cordless is more convenient but battery wise, it's better if you're using regularly, otherwise I still have a personal preference for 220V. Sure, gotta run the lead, but batteries will need maintenance every 5-6 odd weeks if you're using around the home infrequently. Plus you're locked into one system unless you want a pile of batteries and charging systems. Things like multi-tools use more juice as well due to their operation.

Was just pondering similar as boss is completing his house build (managed by a builder) but he's gone out and bought Makita and Ryobi cordless gear. While it has heaps of use currently (drilling holes through concrete block etc) I suspect it's going to be a dust collector in a short time
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I suspect the same, and those batteries are not cheap!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    The question is not about the value of an impact gun, but that of torque sticks.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    I suspect the same, and those batteries are not cheap!
    It's where they've got you and they know it. You can buy more tools further locking you in, but you'll always need those batteries.

For basic home use, you might get away with 1 battery, but any more use, or trying to use 3+ tools at once and it's probably easier to have at least a second (then spares on charge if you're using for hour upon hour).

Leads on a building site for example are a safety risk when you're climbing on ladders etc, but for my average home use, I have a corded multi-tool (a cheapie), heat gun, drill etc. The beauty is, no locking into any system. I don't use the multi-tool much, so got the Bunnings brand (I forget) with one of the longest warranties available. Then I have a Bosch heat gun because it's good quality with heat settings etc.

I wouldn't buy the cheapest stuff unless it was disposable, but like to buy some decent quality without demanding a diet of beans. Often using the cheap things like drills, it won't go through that material, or struggles and so on.

I'm still annoying my boss. He buys almost contractor grade Makita, takes off the tool belt hook off every one... how the hell are you meant to hold/handle them? Sheesh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information