Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric impact wrench

Bike
    BSA A10
    When we use a torque stick we use one of a slightly lesser value to what we're doing it up to then finish it using a torque wrench

There is a calibration procedure so you can check the accuracy of the torque stick vs a torque wrench through

We used electric impact guns and trialled a few different types but none of them seem to stand up to heavy daily usage and we also found they could basically "overpower" the torque sticks

We tried Makita, Milwaukee, AEG and Ingersol Rand, the AEG pissed all over the Milwaukee and Makita but I haven't tried the Ingersol at the other branch and I know it's been in for repair a few times
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    I've got a Clarke CEW1000 not too expensive. It made short work of a 200nm crankshaft pulley bolt. Trick seems to be to lock everything in place - any creep or bounce robs the "impact" and you just end up beating up the nut or bolt head.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    $700 for the corded Makita! Thats probably not going to happen. Shame. Might have to look at a cheapie Battery one.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    $700 for the corded Makita! Thats probably not going to happen. Shame. Might have to look at a cheapie Battery one.
    Yeah - I got mine secondhand. I pointed out that online they are less than $US200 but then someone else pointed out the voltage difference.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Metabo cordless for the win.
    Good enough for excavators and loaders etc.
    Ya get what ya pay for.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    My air compressor + cheap air powered impact wrench (both bought from Supercheap Auto) cost less than half that. I've used when changing a drive belt, much easier than making up a rig to hold the pulley still.
    Having the air compressor has been useful for other stuff like inflating tyres.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    My air compressor + cheap air powered impact wrench (both bought from Supercheap Auto) cost less than half that. I've used when changing a drive belt, much easier than making up a rig to hold the pulley still.
    Having the air compressor has been useful for other stuff like inflating tyres.
    I bought a 2.5hp Repco compressor and cheap impact gun. Compressor won't run it sadly. Impacts with the force of a feather!

Bike
    TF125
    I hit the handle of my strong arm bar with a hammer once. Cost me nothing.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I bought a 2.5hp Repco compressor and cheap impact gun. Compressor won't run it sadly. Impacts with the force of a feather!
    Get better air lines and fittings, any compressor should run an impact wrench, albeit only breifly (which is generally enough).
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    I hit the handle of my strong arm bar with a hammer once. Cost me nothing.
    Yeah they seem like a gimmick for a DIY'er but if you got an engine on a stand or resting on the floor it's a piece of piss to undo stubborn bolts and not worry about bending the stand or holding the engine while you loosen a bolt. A quick hit and it's broken free.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Get better air lines and fittings, any compressor should run an impact wrench, albeit only breifly (which is generally enough).
    I shall try-this is my best value advice!

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    We use rattle guns all day long . Hitachi have been good as have Dewalt, Currently using an AEG as well , they are not as robust, 2 have
    died so far . Then again not much survives being dropped down an 8 floor lift shaft except my Samsung Mobile, bent like a bananna but they fixed it , still going. One of the Hitachis had a wee trip down a shaft as well, had to tape the battery in place after that but it still went.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    I tested my torque sticks today on my car wheel nuts. My 90, 100 and 110Nm torque sticks matched that of my torque wrench. I have had the torque wrench maybe 20 years and hardly use it so it is in good condition. I was surprised by the accuracy. I didn't bother with my other torque sticks as my impact wrench only goes up to 110Nm. So, I used it with confidence to tighten my scooter crank nut. Shoulda been 105 but I did it to 110 with the torque stick.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Thread Information