Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought the SLOWEST bike in the world: SR400E

Bike
    Street Triple R

I bought the SLOWEST bike in the world: SR400E

So I've been going to buy another classic bike for a while. And I bought this instead. Brand new SR400E: leftover 2014 (they havent changed them since 1978 apart from the EFI). Every time went into the shop the deal was better. A combination of some money in the "holiday fund" (no holiday this year for other reasons) and an unexpected work bonus meant that suddenly it "had to be done".

I've done 160 km so far. So, first impressions. The ergos are a perfect fit for me and my fucked lower back. The kickstart is actually easy (so far....) but I think the EFI helps too. but if you follow the procedure it is one kick hot or maybe two cold.

Its light steering, and is accurate. the skinny tyres make direction changes easy. The brake is way better than the brake on any classic bike I have ever ridden. More than powerful enough for this bike. I like the analogue instruments (but then I grew up looking at them) but there is something about a speedo and revcounter that is round and has needles that move (and a speedo cable!) that I find satisfying.

It is still running in, so hence my "slowest bike in the world" comment. I took it out to Little River yesterday and it took like an hour to get there. Being passed by nanas and idiots towing trailers and pushbikes and kids on skateboards is a bit of a worry.

It is great round town and as a work commuter.

It is FAR TOO QUIET.

There are a myriad of customising options.

It has some features that all motorbikes should have but which few do now: it has a passenger seat my better half looked at and said "that looks OK". It has hooks for bungee straps. It has what looks like quality chrome and paint.

And with second hand shitters going for $5995 then why not buy a brand new one?

No buyers regret.

Hopefully once it is run in and uncorked a bit it will happily cruise at ~100kph for the flat boring bits on the way to Akaroa.

Plus I've kept my Street Triple for hooning
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Shit mate that might have been you I passed on my way back kind of mid morning (got out early enough to avoid all the bikes coming the other way!)

Tucked over to the left, all bright and shiny looking put-putting along (OK I could not hear it over my bike ....).

I'm sure I waved :-)

Have you ordered a quarter hide of brown leather and a roll of exhaust wrap yet

Agree re the price of 'original' ones - just mad!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    So I've been going to buy another classic bike for a while. And I bought this instead. Brand new SR400E: leftover 2014 (they havent changed them since 1978 apart from the EFI). Every time went into the shop the deal was better. A combination of some money in the "holiday fund" (no holiday this year for other reasons) and an unexpected work bonus meant that suddenly it "had to be done".

I've done 160 km so far. So, first impressions. The ergos are a perfect fit for me and my fucked lower back. The kickstart is actually easy (so far....) but I think the EFI helps too. but if you follow the procedure it is one kick hot or maybe two cold.

Its light steering, and is accurate. the skinny tyres make direction changes easy. The brake is way better than the brake on any classic bike I have ever ridden. More than powerful enough for this bike. I like the analogue instruments (but then I grew up looking at them) but there is something about a speedo and revcounter that is round and has needles that move (and a speedo cable!) that I find satisfying.

It is still running in, so hence my "slowest bike in the world" comment. I took it out to Little River yesterday and it took like an hour to get there. Being passed by nanas and idiots towing trailers and pushbikes and kids on skateboards is a bit of a worry.

It is great round town and as a work commuter.

It is FAR TOO QUIET.

There are a myriad of customising options.

It has some features that all motorbikes should have but which few do now: it has a passenger seat my better half looked at and said "that looks OK". It has hooks for bungee straps. It has what looks like quality chrome and paint.

And with second hand shitters going for $5995 then why not buy a brand new one?

No buyers regret.

Hopefully once it is run in and uncorked a bit it will happily cruise at ~100kph for the flat boring bits on the way to Akaroa.

get some tassles on your leathers, it stops the pigeons landing on you when you'r riding.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    So I've been going to buy another classic bike for a while. And I bought this instead. Brand new SR400E: leftover 2014 (they havent changed them since 1978 apart from the EFI). Every time went into the shop the deal was better.

So I am not the only one going cruiser and sports bike option then.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    get some tassles on your leathers, it stops the pigeons landing on you when you'r riding.
    I fucking knew the tassles were functional.

The problem would be the increased air resistance: the thing would probably top out at 65kph if I had too many fringes on....

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Shit mate that might have been you I passed on my way back kind of mid morning (got out early enough to avoid all the bikes coming the other way!)

Tucked over to the left, all bright and shiny looking put-putting along (OK I could not hear it over my bike ....).

I'm sure I waved :-)

Have you ordered a quarter hide of brown leather and a roll of exhaust wrap yet

Agree re the price of 'original' ones - just mad!
    Yep, most people on bikes did. There was a group of four that went past me on the way out going FAST.. RSVR, a KTM and a couple of Ducatis I think.

The Harley crew never wave...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Leave it stock - it'll have rarity value if nothing else....

If you turn it into a 500 you just get a bigger/louder thump and don't go a lot quicker.
    Plus as you'll find if you change the pipe, power commanders are not cheap.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Leave it stock - it'll have rarity value if nothing else....

If you turn it into a 500 you just get a bigger/louder thump and don't go a lot quicker.
    Plus as you'll find if you change the pipe, power commanders are not cheap.
    I have to do some research about the EFI but my hope was that I can change out the muffler, and then flash the ECU. or something. It has an O2 sensor and I presume the reason the exhaust is ginormous is it is Euro 3 (or 4) compliant and has a cat and stuff.

It is what it is, and at this stage I am really liking it.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

It is what it is, and at this stage I am really liking it.
    Ride a less capable bike at 100 and it feels like a sports bike at 200. Plus you get to see stuff between corners.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    I hear ya.When the SR500 came out i sold my Honda 500/4 and bought the Yammie.I think i traded it on an xs 750 within 6 months

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    I hear ya.When the SR500 came out i sold my Honda 500/4 and bought the Yammie.I think i traded it on an xs 750 within 6 months
    Man - I really liked the Honda 500/4.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Single bangers are great fun, and they are what they are, so sit back and enjoy the ride. A brand new unmolested by anyone else ride at that.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Man - I really liked the Honda 500/4.
    Yeah, me too. My CB400F is one of the few bikes I regret selling. WTF was I thinking?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Bah! There goes my quote on your signature line.

It will be quite easy to unplug it, let it breathe a bit better and release some horsepower.

It will be harder to reprogram the ecu to get it as good as std, or improve it if yer optimistic .

That's why iI'm finding fooling around with my pre 13 Street is easier than changing jets. Plug it in and tuneecu it.

But don'thope Yams will be so unlocked.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

The Harley crew never wave...
    Nah never do. They've all seen too many bad biker movies. "Life imitates artlessness." To quote Peter Egan.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information