Thread: New sump and oil filter plug

Bike
    None

New sump and oil filter plug

I just got a new bike (CBR250R MC19) and the oil filter and sump plug appear to be fairly stripped/rounded.

Would something like this be suitable for a sump plug replacement?

Also, where would I get the oil filter bolt? I was looking at boltshop.co.nz but I'm not sure if they stock it.

Cheers

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    OK, so the sump plug should never strip. It`s steel going into ally. The ally will strip. If that part of the sump can come off {old GS GSX, heck even newish ones do) then youcan take it to local engine reconditioner who do this repair everyday, can helicoil or even better Timesert insert repair it.

Wrecker will carrybolt but supercheap do sell some sump bolts, maybe the right pitch. Oh didn't see that was a link till now.

Same might apply to filter. You might be trailering it to the reconditioned and seeing if they want to get involved.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    None
    Sorry, I meant the bolt heads have rounded/stripped, the actual threads are fine I think.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post
    Sorry, I meant the bolt heads have rounded/stripped, the actual threads are fine I think.
    out wit cher square file and take it down a hex size. harden it after if you feel the need. ring spanners and sockets only dawg.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Pro-bolt.com do a magnetic sump bolt, not too expensive - or you can just get one like in the link you posted.

When you replace it though, I would be worried about the head being rounded off - that means its been done up way too tight at some point, so I would make sure to take a really close look at the threads. If you replace it with a new one, but the threads are fucked, the sump bot could fall out during a ride.
    That will result in the rear tyre getting coated in oil, and the ass end sliding out underneath you - been there, done that, always careful to check threads etc nowadays.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    , I would be worried about the head being rounded off - that means its been done up way too tight at some point,
    *or* some cunt's used a nutfucker (adjustable "spanner") on it, instead of doing the right thing and fucking it up with a spanner/ socket.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Learn how the vice-grips should be used..

Or find the ISO-metric size, & replace it..

Thread Information