Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bobber Trumpet

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Triumph Spitfires are actually a pretty good little car.... As is the Herald they are based on.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    That Bobber thing is another marketing department POS IMO. As my old man would say "wouldn't have one for a wart on me cock"
    As far as the Cherman bubble car goes...now that's cool if nothing else and beats a Triumph Spatfur any day

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Can't say that the bobber causes a stirring in the loins but I'm seriously thinking of replacing the GSX-S 1000 with a 1200 Bonnie next year.
    The pictures are very appealing. Then there's this unsolicited recommendation from a happy customer?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152292047308#viTabs_0

Somebody should tell Triumph that "factory custom" is an oxymoron. Excusable for the likes of Kawasaki, but for Triumph who are supposed to be familiar with the language?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The pictures are very appealing. Then there's this unsolicited recommendation from a happy customer?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152292047308#viTabs_0

Somebody should tell Triumph that "factory custom" is an oxymoron. Excusable for the likes of Kawasaki, but for Triumph who are supposed to be familiar with the language?

Just an ordinary 1200 would be fine. Thruxton too hard on the wrists for what I'd use it for

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Triumph Spitfires are actually a pretty good little car.... As is the Herald they are based on.
    My neighbour had a Vitesse that rusted to buggery. I found the Spitfire a little too small for comfort

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    My neighbour had a Vitesse that rusted to buggery. I found the Spitfire a little too small for comfort
    Was there a car of that era that didn't rust?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Was there a car of that era that didn't rust?
    Daimler SP250, Corvette and beach buggies oh and Reliant Robins

I had a VW....there was a knack to keeping swing axles on the ground, similar to riding a shaft

drive bike.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Daimler SP250, Corvette and beach buggies oh and Reliant Robins

I had a VW....there was a knack to keeping swing axles on the ground, similar to riding a shaft

drive bike.
    Yeah - those early fibreglass bodies were 100% maintenance free... cough.... Delamination anyone?? The chassis had a few rot issues though...

As for the Daimler, it has a great motorcycle connection in that Edward Turner designed the engine which is effectively 4 Triumph 650's in a V.... Brings us back in a neat circle to where we started eh??

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    A mate of mine had a Daimler Double-Six. You could sit on 100mph, with the air con on and watch the speedo go from full to empty in a matter of minutes.

We dumped the engine for a Chev 350. Took about 8 weekends to fit. Would have been half the time, without the learning experiences.

BUT wow - what a difference in all respects.

UK engineering, of the seventies, is best avoided, like the plague

BUT I suspect this new Bobber from Triumph is going to do very well indeed

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

"...watch the speedo go from full to empty..."

Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    A mate of mine had a Daimler Double-Six. You could sit on 100mph, with the air con on and watch the speedo go from full to empty in a matter of minutes.

We dumped the engine for a Chev 350. Took about 8 weekends to fit. Would have been half the time, without the learning experiences.

BUT wow - what a difference in all respects.

UK engineering, of the seventies, is best avoided, like the plague

BUT I suspect this new Bobber from Triumph is going to do very well indeed

Triumph did 'custom' back in the `70s with the Vetter Hurricane triple, & later the 'chopper look' T 140D..

As for phillistines not knowing how to tune a V12, this one appears to have its rev meter go from empty to full, pretty quick..

Thread Information