Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroker commuter?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Delicious. 2t's have a special character and it looks like you are going to become a member of quite an exclusive club. A road riding 2t motorcycle owner. Don't be lazy with the gear box, keep it singing and hang on. Keep the inside of your visor clean so that when your eyeballs make contact they don't get dirty.
    Maxima 927. all the castor Bean smell with none of the varnish. Suitable for oil injectors
    There used to be one that smelled like strawberries as well. I think it was a Rockoil one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    There is something special about thrashing a 2 stroke for commuting, adds a lot of fun to the otherwise tedious task of getting to work in the morning.

I remember doing this years ago, albeit on nothing anywhere near as exciting as the RS125, but it's still such a fond memory that I've got myself an old 2 stroke to resurrect for exactly that purpose.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    A mate uses one to run around on to save his big bikes (an Rgv250 and an NSR250). I've ridden it and its quite cool.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Have Fun Stephasaur.

Quote Originally Posted by STEPHASAUR View Post
    Thanks for the advice all!

Happy to report I've fallen in love.
    power kicks in at about 6.5k and became an absolute missile from about 7.5 upward. was genuinely terrified LOL

Bike has a full service history (he is the original owner and kept all the receipts etc) and seems to have kept it up to date with servicing etc so far. and including a few spare bits too which is a bonus hah

Going to take another look/ride on tues morning and if i'm still happy will be buying it
    EXCITEDDDDD
    Sounds like a goer.. enjoy.

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    Well! deed is done!

cbr250 is gone and a sweet little RS125 has taken it's place
    now time to learn!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    wot. always wot.

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    wot. always wot.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Well! deed is done!

cbr250 is gone and a sweet little RS125 has taken it's place
    now time to learn!
    I'm looking forward to reading your observations. A great little bike going out and a great, but different, little bike coming in. I'd wager that you find the RS a more involving bike to ride and to live with. You have to keep putting oil in it for a start, which is not cheap. I bet it's like a demented wasp hitching a ride on a dart through traffic.

Bet it pulls wheelies, too.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Oil, not cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I'm looking forward to reading your observations... I'd wager that you find the RS a more involving bike to ride and to live with. You have to keep putting oil in it for a start, which is not cheap.
    I got some hi-spec fully synthetic 2T at the supermarket the other day for $12- a litre, on special..

Ok, it was intended for chainsaw/weedwhipper use, but the relevant 2T JASO specs are listed on it...
    I've used Husqvarna chainsaw oil previously & it works fine, & is not expensive either..

& George, how many internal combustion engines do not 'use' oil?
    At least with a 2T - its going to be getting fresh engine oil every time it runs, & won't need a filter/change/disposal..

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    Certainly a more involving bike.
    Just took it to work the first time today. My previous rule of "don't lane split unless you're dying" no longer applies because as I've now learnt, hills are not your friend (and i gotta ride over a lot of them)

Not sure about dank as whoolies. Perhaps I shall test this sometime
    not too phased about the additional costs with the oils. certainly curious as to how many k's I can get before refilling.
    I guess there would't be much diff to running it on 98 vs 91?

a little concerned I cant see her parked up from the office.
    It's quite windy
    and the RS weighs about as much as a feather
    and the kickstand is rather high

GOOD GOD THE PARANOIA

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    I got some hi-spec fully synthetic 2T at the supermarket the other day for $12- a litre, on special..

Ok, it was intended for chainsaw/weedwhipper use, but the relevant 2T JASO specs are listed on it...
    I've used Husqvarna chainsaw oil previously & it works fine, & is not expensive either..

& George, how many internal combustion engines do not 'use' oil?
    At least with a 2T - its going to be getting fresh engine oil every time it runs, & won't need a filter/change/disposal..
    Interesting tactic, using chainsaw oil. My chainsaw recommends Castrol TT.
    I'm using Motul 710, 4 ltrs lasts about 6 months just play riding. Nice, sporty smell, too.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Bungee?

Certainly a more involving bike.
    Just took it to work the first time today. My previous rule of "don't lane split unless you're dying" no longer applies because as I've now learnt, hills are not your friend (and i gotta ride over a lot of them)

Not sure about dank as whoolies. Perhaps I shall test this sometime
    not too phased about the additional costs with the oils. certainly curious as to how many k's I can get before refilling.
    I guess there would't be much diff to running it on 98 vs 91?

a little concerned I cant see her parked up from the office.
    It's quite windy
    and the RS weighs about as much as a feather
    and the kickstand is rather high

GOOD GOD THE PARANOIA

Stephasaur, park it left in gear, & if you can find an anchor point, a bungee cord might help.

If you are going to test the oil level light, by running it low, make sure you carry a bottle of it with you..
    Best check the advisory about fuel, some Euro-machines with higher comp - do like to use the hi-test..

Hiills can be fun, just learn to keep it in the 'sweet spot', gearing/rpm-wise..
    .. neither lugging it, on a high, nor revving it, on a low, - throttle opening..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    It might be possible to grind the stand stop a little bit so it swings further. Probably not expecting the wind we get in Italy. Or they like selling fairing parts.. I used to tie my RG50 which was sub 80kg to a lamppost. But parking wardens were more relaxed back then about being on the footpath.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

& if no anchor point.

You could use a bungee cord on the side-stand to the front of the bike to stop it folding up,when parked,
    & maybe a suitable length of PVC (~50 mm diameter) pipe cut/shaped to brace the other side from the ground
    when parked - to a foot peg base, or such..

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    Thankfully I managed to find a spot that works as an amazing wind breaker.
    Suppose I'll start looking into tie downs of some form... Though could also just be initial paranoia cause new bike + italian = even looking at it wrong will probably cause something to break

The spanner icon is now solidly lit. Freaked out thinking I had broken something to only find that it's a service interval reminder. whew xD

Already had a run in with the electrics too! Indicator relay was on it's way out and std ones from repco etc didn't have the right readings.. Holeshot motorcycles quoted $80 for an OEM relay... Thankfully they recommended an auto electrician just down the road who just so happened to have a relay that would work! However the + and - terminals were the wrong way around. just re pinned the plug to suit LOL
    $20 later and i'm no longer "that asshole" who doesn't indicate before making a turn :P

gawd this bike is fun
    no regrets so far :P

Thread Information