Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroker commuter?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by STEPHASAUR View Post
    I guess there would't be much diff to running it on 98 vs 91?
    Better not to guess. It'd pay to check the manual - or ask the dealer. I can't think of any modern bike I'd put 91 in.

Here's a starting point if you haven't got a manual, although you'd need to be more technically literate than me to understand the recommendation regarding fuel.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36...-125-2006.html
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Manual Check..

According to the manual, & NZ standards, it runs on 95.

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    According to the manual, & NZ standards, it runs on 95.
    only reason I ask is the previous owner apparently runs it on 91.
    I've thrown 98 in it to just see how it goes. will try 95 after

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Better too much octane, than not enough.

98 will work fine, even a majority 98 blend with 91 will..
    - but Stephasaur, if you ever hear 'tinkling' sounds - at certain throttle openings on 91, that is - bad..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Your RS125 is something of a thoroughbred, it should sip only the most expensive oil and be fed good fuel. Any chance to score on economy disappeared when you decided to buy this bike. Taking shortcuts to save money now will likely prove expensive. Treat it how it should be treated and enjoy the challenges and rewards it can provide.

If you dig around you should be able to find ride impressions or road tests on the web. F'rinstance: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-r...ia/rs125/1995/

There used to be a malady called "strokers twitch". The habit of riding with two fingers permanently on the clutch lever. It seems to have faded from the collective consciousness as two strokes have vanished from the roads, It is still relevant to riders of two strokes though.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

"Stroker's twitch"?

It might've applied to 1960s GP riders.. or super-hard tuned bucket racers more recently,
    - but not to road bikes of the past 40 years..

Might be worth seeing if this oil is available locally, it appears to be good value www.recpower.com/bluemax.htm

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It might've applied to 1960s GP riders.. or super-hard tuned bucket racers more recently,
    - but not to road bikes of the past 40 years..

Might be worth seeing if this oil is available locally, it appears to be good value www.recpower.com/bluemax.htm
    Nah to both of those. The various comments I have seen regarding both the RS250 and the RS125 emphasise the requirement to warm the bike up properly to avoid seizing. From that MCN link I posted about the 125, "It’s essential to let the motorcycle warm up properly or it’ll seize."

Having spent hours and hours reading about it I'm a convert to fully synthetic oils. Mobil 1 in the car Motul in the bike.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    The one thing I avoid doing to limit the risk of seizure is holding my 2t's tapped oot for long periods. Like high speed tests on 90 mile beach or late at night on the motorway

Over the years this been the cause of most of the seizures my mates have had. Once that throttle closes and the cooling, soothing, fluids are shut off it's nip time. 2ts love revs but with a variable throttle.

The 90 mile beach nip ended up with an 11km walk, pushing the bike.... Not me, though.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Once that throttle closes and the cooling, soothing, fluids are shut off it's nip time. 2ts love revs but with a variable throttle.
    Ah yes. Even on my moped I didn't like long descents and would give it gas whenever possible.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Cold seizures are a different kettle of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Nah to both of those. The various comments I have seen regarding both the RS250 and the RS125 emphasise the requirement to warm the bike up properly to avoid seizing. From that MCN link I posted about the 125, "It’s essential to let the motorcycle warm up properly or it’ll seize."

Having spent hours and hours reading about it I'm a convert to fully synthetic oils. Mobil 1 in the car Motul in the bike.
    Cold seizure likelihood - in our part of the world - would rarely be a reason to have clutch hand anxieties.

Some fully synthetic 2T oils have shown to be hygroscopic, with oxidisation damage to Fe engine internals,
    - being a particular problem - if the machine is not used regularly enough.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Not usually a problem on liquid cooled engines.

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    The one thing I avoid doing to limit the risk of seizure is holding my 2t's tapped oot for long periods. Like high speed tests on 90 mile beach or late at night on the motorway

Over the years this been the cause of most of the seizures my mates have had. Once that throttle closes and the cooling, soothing, fluids are shut off it's nip time. 2ts love revs but with a variable throttle.

The 90 mile beach nip ended up with an 11km walk, pushing the bike.... Not me, though.

For highly-strung, hard-tuned air-cooled 2T's here's a tip...

Flick the kill switch - but hold the throttle open, the unburned fuel mix will cool it internally,
    & the degree of engine braking might be a surprise too.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Ah yes. Even on my moped I didn't like long descents and would give it gas whenever possible.

Old school race tuned 2Ts often ran large carb-slide ( lean) cutaways & compensated by big-as pilot jets..
    This meant that even on closed throttle, a fair bit of fuel/oil mixture was still flowed.. thirsty, but safer..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    For highly-strung, hard-tuned air-cooled 2T's here's a tip...

Flick the kill switch - but hold the throttle open, the unburned fuel mix will cool it internally,
    & the degree of engine braking might be a surprise too.
    From memory Hugh Anderson mentions doing that in his book. I can't check because I loaned the book to someone who isn't in a position to give it back.

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    Been moving my fingers to cover the clutch every so often to get used to the feeling/ prepare. but the clutch lever is so far from the handle that my little hands can barely reach LOL
    Don't want to get aftermarket levers but honestly might have to :/

RE oil - I'm just going to stick with what it'd been previously run on which was Castrol TTS. Not the cheapest thing but at least I know the bike will run happy with it
    Took the little RS for a blat sat morning. Its petrol consumption is completely out of this world. in about 3 hrs of riding (albeit it was being fanged) we had to make at least 2 petrol stops to top up (2 for me, 3 for an MV F3 that was riding along)
    Not upset about it or anything, definitely to be expected, still threw me off guard a little HAH

While I still remember. One thing I've noticed that's really cut into the "fun" aspect of riding the bike is hearing protection. I have just some std reusable plugs that on the 4 stroke cancels out noise very well. I'm not sure if it's cause the pitch of the 2 stroke just bypasses the plugs or what but it's definitely significantly louder to the extent I can feel my hearing diminish by the minute.
    Are there particular brands of motorcycle earplugs that you lot would recommend over others?
    Yet to actually do some research myself but it would be good to hear what others suggestions were etc

Can't say I've noticed any issues with the engine cycle JUUUUST yet. so fer she's been an absolute hoot!

Bike
    Gilera 180 , ,GB400/650 ,SV650
    I have been using a Runner for the past 8 years commuting its fine
    the engine has had 2 top end rebuilds as I am now at 68000km
    best part is people think it a chain saw when you go past them on the motorway

Thread Information