Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 stroker commuter?

Bike
    Aprilia RS125

2 stroker commuter?

Hope this is the right place for this thread!!

Hey all,
    First off, sorry if this has already been covered. I have had a little look at other threads on alternate forums to get some relatively mixed responses so thought i'd just try my luck here and see what kiwis think :P

so i'm thiiiiiinking of picking up a newish aprilia rs125 to possibly replace my cbr as a daily commuter.

my daily work commute is anywhere from 15-30 (about 12km), and there is a section of "highway" that would allow me to tack it up if necessary (a few individuals made comments that 2 strokers do need to be wound out every so often??)

They are oil injected, which is a bit of a bonus.
    Obviously being a non jap bike I expect it's going to be a lot less reliable and sting a lot more too, but given its age would it really be a pressing concern?

To those who do/ have commuted a 2 stroke bike, what were your thoughts on the scenario? would you say they were relatively happy living the commuter life or are they an absolute no-no for daily street use? what issues had you experienced that was most likely caused by commuting? if you've dailied an rs125 what did you think?

sorry for the essay and thank you in advance!!!

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

125 might be a bit temperamental.

Is the Aprilia a full-power unit, or a 'restricted' machine?

If it is the hard tune job, then it will need to be fanged, & fettled accordingly.

I have commuted on 2Ts for many years, no problem, but usually on a stock-ish 350 - as a minimum.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    been there, done that.

If youre a really enthusiastic motorcycle enthusiast, then you just sort of live with it, but 2 strokes aren't really designed to be pootled about on like that (unless youre on a scooter)

You can always sell it if you dont like it

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    rs125 are fokken crotch rockets. you wont be disapointed by. no real issues if you look after it. and easy for you to learn to rebore/build.

two stroke engines typically like to be pinned wot - optoimum burn, afr, flow etc. being liquid cooled, keeping airflow not so important, they will tolerate traffic.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...an A100 motor in an AC50 getup is the bee's knees...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by STEPHASAUR View Post
    \

To those who do/ have commuted a 2 stroke bike, what were your thoughts on the scenario? would you say they were relatively happy living the commuter life or are they an absolute no-no for daily street use? what issues had you experienced that was most likely caused by commuting?
    A workmate commutes on his RG500 and used my RG400 as a daily runner. It's a bike. Ride it.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    husaberg
    Forget reboring an Rotax 122 engine as used in a RS125 they like most sporting two strokes made in the last 30 years have a plated bore.
    They have a few issues like a blade power valve that can fail and a plastic counterbalancer gear.
    fed decent oil and the occasional rebuild (parts are cheap) and as they contain not many more moving carbs than a set of 4 Cylinder carbs, pretty easy.
    Like the Cagiva Mito 125 (which would be my pick), they are dead sexy.
    That said For the same money as buying a Aprilia RS125 you could likely buy an NSR250 or RGV250

Complete top end kit. 330NZD
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aprilia-RS12...9U1N1d&vxp=mtr
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Yo momma
    Hope this is the right place for this thread!!

Hey all,
    First off, sorry if this has already been covered. I have had a little look at other threads on alternate forums to get some relatively mixed responses so thought i'd just try my luck here and see what kiwis think :P

so i'm thiiiiiinking of picking up a newish aprilia rs125 to possibly replace my cbr as a daily commuter.

my daily work commute is anywhere from 15-30 (about 12km), and there is a section of "highway" that would allow me to tack it up if necessary (a few individuals made comments that 2 strokers do need to be wound out every so often??)

They are oil injected, which is a bit of a bonus.
    Obviously being a non jap bike I expect it's going to be a lot less reliable and sting a lot more too, but given its age would it really be a pressing concern?

To those who do/ have commuted a 2 stroke bike, what were your thoughts on the scenario? would you say they were relatively happy living the commuter life or are they an absolute no-no for daily street use? what issues had you experienced that was most likely caused by commuting? if you've dailied an rs125 what did you think?

sorry for the essay and thank you in advance!!!
    I commuted around Auckland for several years on a YB100. Loved it, never had a problem.

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    @Hemi Makutu admittedly i'm not sure whether its restricted or not. is there any way other than riding it to tell?

I would like to think of myself as a more enthusiast based rider. certainly happy with dealing with the add on's that 2 strokes come with (though its easy enough to say it before actually experiencing it haha)

@Husaberg yea but the nsr/rgv's arent lams ITS ALL ABOUT THE LAMS :P

seems the general consensus is to just go for it. and as tigertim20 says, it can always be resold if all goes pear shaped.
    It is good to know that bits arent as expensive as initially thought!
    ehh well. suppose i better go take a looksies at it! :P

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Isnt the RS125 made in India under licence to Aprilia?

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Check a couple of things..

@Hemi Makutu admittedly i'm not sure whether its restricted or not. is there any way other than riding it to tell?

I would like to think of myself as a more enthusiast based rider. certainly happy with dealing with the add on's that 2 strokes come with (though its easy enough to say it before actually experiencing it haha)

@Husaberg yea but the nsr/rgv's arent lams ITS ALL ABOUT THE LAMS :P

seems the general consensus is to just go for it. and as tigertim20 says, it can always be resold if all goes pear shaped.
    It is good to know that bits arent as expensive as initially thought!
    ehh well. suppose i better go take a looksies at it! :P

Test ride it.

1, Powerband, it should zap past 6,000 rpm, & really rip from 8,000 rpm if its a full-go deal.

2, Restricted, it will feel dull at 6,000 rpm due to the ignition setting & have no power-valve either.
    ( if a PV is fitted, you will see the servo cable connecting, or if not, just a blanking plate instead)

3, Sparkplug, the hi-po job uses a real cold plug, a 10 rated NGK, or other maker equivalent.

This is AFAIR, so an Aprilia forum would likely have the details ( carb size checks, fixes & what not)

Anyhow S, have fun, it should teach you some riding skills/control-coordination/finessse.

Bike
    RS125
    commuted on a 2012 for 2 years with minimal issues, put about 15k kms on it iirc, including multiple trackdays at taupo and HD.

Keep to the maintenance schedule and don't go crazy when the motor is cold and it will treat you right. The only issue I had was the cat coming loose in the expansion chamber and blocking the exhaust - the only regret I had after having the cat removed was that I had not done it sooner, decat and a rejet turned it into a whole new bike.

If I was shopping for a LAMs bike again I would not hesitate to buy another

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by helbnd View Post
    commuted on a 2012 for 2 years with minimal issues, put about 15k kms on it iirc, including multiple trackdays at taupo and HD.

Keep to the maintenance schedule and don't go crazy when the motor is cold and it will treat you right. The only issue I had was the cat coming loose in the expansion chamber and blocking the exhaust - the only regret I had after having the cat removed was that I had not done it sooner, decat and a rejet turned it into a whole new bike.

If I was shopping for a LAMs bike again I would not hesitate to buy another
    I spent my formative years commuting on and generally thrashing 2t's. Only thing I had to pay attention to was the plug. Compared to a 4t I seemed to put a new plug in every few months. They do like a good thrashing! And high humidity, I reckon damp days were worth a couple of hp.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Aprilia RS125
    Thanks for the advice all!

Happy to report I've fallen in love.
    power kicks in at about 6.5k and became an absolute missile from about 7.5 upward. was genuinely terrified LOL

Bike has a full service history (he is the original owner and kept all the receipts etc) and seems to have kept it up to date with servicing etc so far. and including a few spare bits too which is a bonus hah

Going to take another look/ride on tues morning and if i'm still happy will be buying it
    EXCITEDDDDD

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Thanks for the advice all!

Happy to report I've fallen in love.
    power kicks in at about 6.5k and became an absolute missile from about 7.5 upward. was genuinely terrified LOL

Bike has a full service history (he is the original owner and kept all the receipts etc) and seems to have kept it up to date with servicing etc so far. and including a few spare bits too which is a bonus hah

Going to take another look/ride on tues morning and if i'm still happy will be buying it
    EXCITEDDDDD
    Delicious. 2t's have a special character and it looks like you are going to become a member of quite an exclusive club. A road riding 2t motorcycle owner. Don't be lazy with the gear box, keep it singing and hang on. Keep the inside of your visor clean so that when your eyeballs make contact they don't get dirty.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information