Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bike.... Yay or Nay?? Advice needed!

Bike
    (Buying)

Cool First bike.... Yay or Nay?? Advice needed!

Hey guys Jayden here, i'm brand spanker to this forum so go gentle would ya! haha

But anyways onto the topic ... I'm looking at buying my first bike (250-400cc LAMS APPV)... I'm not a total noobie to bikes, as i have ridden dirt the odd time in the past before dad sold my xr200(rip)

To keep a story short, i've been eyeing up this 1989 CBR250R, with slight damage. (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1189682640)

I'm mainly a Honda fan. but i like Kawazaki's, Yammies and i've found the Hyosungs to be rather appealing too...

Is there anything to be concerned about these bikes? What should i be looking for ? i'm averagely mechanically inclined etc..

I'm the typical young guy, the bikes gotta sound and look good! (fell in love with this sound...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KsFLuqpib4&t=12s)

I'll stop rambling now, any advice will be greatly appreicated !! Just trying to avoid buying a lemon as a first bike. Cheers Jayden.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Loved the hot little 250's we had as kids in the 90's, damn they were fun. That's all I have to say, someone with first hand experience will be along soon enough. But if the bike stacks up, buy it and enjoy yourself.

Bike
    (Buying)
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Loved the hot little 250's we had as kids in the 90's, damn they were fun. That's all I have to say, someone with first hand experience will be along soon enough. But if the bike stacks up, buy it and enjoy yourself.
    Seems cheap enough! Would you expect to pay that amount for an older bike with decent km's on it?? Or do you reckon its a lemon?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1188470665.htm
    Good option offer 2k and spend 500 on transporting it to you.

Looks like a good older 4cylinder option also

Im not sure I like the way the cbr is missing the rt hand bar weight. Idd be having a good look at it before buying. How hard it went down on the rt side at some stage would be nice to know and you still have to find a left fairing etc aswell.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1419...48760223389%7D

Not sure if that link will work but its a facebook site MOTORBIKES FOR SALE NZ
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Honda View Post
    Seems cheap enough! Would you expect to pay that amount for an older bike with decent km's on it?? Or do you reckon its a lemon?
    IMO I think it's priced realistically if it checks out mechanically. Very low km's for its age though, kind of dubious. Hard to tell without laying eyes on it.

Bike
    (Buying)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Good option offer 2k and spend 500 on transporting it to you.

Looks like a good older 4cylinder option also

Im not sure I like the way the cbr is missing the rt hand bar weight. Idd be having a good look at it before buying. How hard it went down on the rt side at some stage would be nice to know and you still have to find a left fairing etc aswell.
    Its obviously been in a side over like you said and by the horizontal scuffs. But in all honesty it doesn't bother me a hell of lot seeing as it'll be just a learner bike anyways... In regards to that right side weight, would that affect the balance of the bike at all? If she checks out to be mechanically sound I'll definitely buy it. But i kinda don't like the statement "as is where is" they put on there :/

Edit: cheers for the reco bike link! Those ninjas are noooice, but that colour is a bit too ugly for my liking tbh 😂

Bike
    (Buying)
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    IMO I think it's priced realistically if it checks out mechanically. Very low km's for its age though, kind of dubious. Hard to tell without laying eyes on it.
    Will definitely give it a good eye over, problem is the auctions being run through an agency outfit. So you can't just ring up and go in whenever, you have to book an appointment ugh lol

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Cog Fairly decent video with buying tips

Bike
    (Buying)
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Bloody great video mate! Thank you very much! He seems like a hard case motovlogger! lol reminds me a bit like ol BakerXDerek 👍

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Bloody great video mate! Thank you very much! He seems like a hard case motovlogger! lol reminds me a bit like ol BakerXDerek 👍
    Yeah Dodge does some helpful motovlogs.

CHEAH!

Bike
    (Buying)
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Yeah Dodge does some helpful motovlogs.

CHEAH!
    Ayyyy that's it😉👌👌

Bike
    That's no show pony and you always take a risk with older bikes, but go the CBR. Fun as fark. You'll more than likely get back what you pay for it when you're finished too unlike a lot of other learner options.

I loved mine and learned many more good than bad habits from it.

Pros: Light enough to throw around, decent brakes, enough power and range to load up for some L plate touring, plenty of new and second hand parts about.

Cons: Aesthetic parts (like plastics) are spendy, no good fer yer missus to hoon on with you (even if she has a tiny ass), some complain the seating position aggravates their arthritis, but considering the range is only about 2-3 hours worth of gas it's not that bad.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    . In regards to that right side weight, would that affect the balance of the bike at all?
    Heck I've only got one bar on my bike and it doesn't affect balance. But then again I'm kind of speshal.

Bike
    (Buying)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    That's no show pony and you always take a risk with older bikes, but go the CBR. Fun as fark. You'll more than likely get back what you pay for it when you're finished too unlike a lot of other learner options.

I loved mine and learned many more good than bad habits from it.

Pros: Light enough to throw around, decent brakes, enough power and range to load up for some L plate touring, plenty of new and second hand parts about.

Cons: Aesthetic parts (like plastics) are spendy, no good fer yer missus to hoon on with you (even if she has a tiny ass), some complain the seating position aggravates their arthritis, but considering the range is only about 2-3 hours worth of gas it's not that bad.
    Well its a good thing i'm single atm then haha Cheers for the reply! Its good to hear from somebody who's ridden one first experience!

In regards to selling after i'm done with it, like you said, i'd rather buy a cheaper bike for now when i'm learning instead of forking out a butt tonne of money buying a newer bike to then get rid of it half of what i'd paid for it!

Thread Information