Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting advice: Will a MC22 CBR250RR be too small for me? I'm 6'3.

Bike
    NA

Wanting advice: Will a MC22 CBR250RR be too small for me? I'm 6'3.

Hey, new poster here.

I am looking to get some advice on a first bike. I am quite taken by the CBR250RR.

I have done a lot of reading up about them and dont think that it would be a bad first bike, however I have begun to worry about it being too small for me? I am around 6'3 and 80kg. I have used cycle-ergo.com/ to have a look and i dont think it looks too bad but i really have no idea.

Any help around the suitability of MC22 CBR250RR as a first bike and especially considering my size would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Considering your size, you will feel cramped and because of that, a little underwhelmed within a few rides of owning such a bike as a learner. For argument sake, the Kawasaki 250 ninja has a seat height 45mm higher than the Honda and for around the same price $4K it's good buying for an eight year old bike.

Bike
    S1000RR
    I'm 5'7 and felt cramped on my legs when I rode one. Those things are designed for tiny Japanese people.

6ft 3? Good luck..! But then, best way is to find out is to find one and actually sit on one.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    bandit
    I have a Bone Saw if you want a good fit ..

But seriously? Ride on and see .. I suspect it will feel cramped.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    The C**t.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but at 6 foot i was bashing my knees on the fairings and dwarfed them.

There are quite a few decent bikes in the lams list that will be far better suited to your size.

If you want something bigger and 250 i'd advise the honda hornet will be alot better suited to you and IMO is the best il4 250 ever made for street use.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    The C**t.
    This one is a bloodey good example being sold by a KB member...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1185707825.htm

I know being a naked its not as appealing, but hey less cost if ya drop it and it takes 600cc sprotsbike tyres so you have a really good range there to choose from... same motor as mc22 with a retune, lots of space later model and feels like a big bike.

It's my pick of the bunch but it's your call.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    NA
    Okay this is exactly what i wanted, you guys are great.

So would you say that the Ninja or a Hyosung would fit better than the Honda? I know the Hyosung has a higher seat height and is an overall bigger frame.

What I'm getting is that the more upright, street bike style is more suited seeing as I'm bigger? Looking at CB250F vs Bandit now also.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Go to this site, will show you how you look on each bike. http://cycle-ergo.com/

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Go to this site, will show you how you look on each bike. http://cycle-ergo.com/
    See his first post.

Bike
    TF125
    DR650, ftw!

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I'd suggest you get a friend to go with you to a local bike shop, you sit on a few LAMs bikes while your friend stands at the rear and holds it up so you can put your feet on the pegs and sit there holding the handbars for about 5 minutes - see how you feel after 5 minutes. You can then either add the bike to a list of possibles or delete it immediately...

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzfraser View Post
    Okay this is exactly what i wanted, you guys are great.

So would you say that the Ninja or a Hyosung would fit better than the Honda? I know the Hyosung has a higher seat height and is an overall bigger frame.

What I'm getting is that the more upright, street bike style is more suited seeing as I'm bigger? Looking at CB250F vs Bandit now also.
    The hyosung is made out of muck metal they are honestly just utter garbage...

The ninja 250 will be too small and is also just a rehash of the gpx250 they were building since the 80's, brought back to market around 05/06 when they wern't selling so they made it prettier and went look ninja 250! it's a dinosaur really.

Being a tall guy myself now creeping on 6 foot 2 the hornet is the only thing i can still fit on for a 250.

You may find the RF400 fits you well if you can find one.

Bike
    CB1300
    Why the 20+ yo bike? What sets out apart for you?

At 6'4" I can say you can ride anything if you try hard enough... but it shouldn't be a struggle... and any of that gen 250 will be.

Faired LAMS bikes will in generally be smaller.
    Try a few options on.

DR650 or any big traily, is a roomy platform to start looking at either motarding or taking trail riding. Easy enough to learn how to maintain one yourself.

Hornets are great but stock you will have clearance issues. Easily remedied with higher wider bars... sadly good luck finding one not thrashed.

Suzuki 600f nice roomy bike. Won't set the world on fire but reliable as and ready to get parts. Will be more bike than you need as the beginning but there is a reason they as popular.

Hyosung have some good examples around and are quite roomy and useable... but most are collections of issues in the shape of a bike. Be very careful what you buy of you go this route.

Why the 20+ yo bike? What sets out apart for you?

Get the LAMS list and look then up. Cross off the absolute no ones, and see what is in your budget.

If you think you will be doing 30 minute rides plan to bee comfortable for an hour.
    The less you have to work to fit, the more time you have for enjoying the ride and the mote you can dedicate to staying upright.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    CB1300
    Best of luck, knees in the breeze.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    While I have no experience with the CBR250, I have some with similar bikes to it, and yeah, I'd say at 6'3 you're too tall (same height as me). All those bikes are cramped, and even 600-1000cc sportsbikes are likely going to be cramped for you. Your bonus is weighing 80kg. At 100kg I sat on those little 250s and the suspension said I give up...

My 2nd bike was a ZX7R, larger than your average sportsbike and while better, it still looked tiny in pictures. Depends how comfortable you are folding up onto the bikes.

Realistically, it's taken until my current bikes, a CB919 with wide bars (smaller people find it semi-uncomfortable) and an R1200GSA (taller than some people I've met) before I've felt properly comfortable on bikes...

Consider the Hornet 250, it has the same size frame as the 600 from memory, or the likes of DR650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information