Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pukekohe Classic Racing Festival Feb 4/5 2017

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    AFAIR, pre-chicane ( did the bikes even have to use them?) in the early `70s the F 5000s were in the mid-to-low 50s..
    & the new F 750 bikes were pretty close to them time-wise too, all screaming down the back straight at 170+ mph.
    err, no. The times quoted earlier, if you add 10 seconds on are bang on. Someone has made a typo when keying them in. The quickest bike at Puke was about 2008 where Bugden set a lap record at 56.28. Some one may have beaten that, but is marginal as from about 2010 Hampton Downs was used for the nationals. But as you'd be fully aware, despite only being "road production" based, they are by far a better bike in terms of performance than a 1970's TZ750, KR750 or RG500 ever were or could be, on a point to point basis. Also noting my previous comment about the circuit being circa 2 seconds a lap quicker with changes made in 1991.

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/740735

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I would but I've got only just enough leave to ride to the Burt and back ,
    Kevin Grant is doing the organising of the event, I'm just doing that new fangled internet thingie.
    there's your failing, go to the burt, park up, fly home, fly back get your bike and pick up the SCF on the way....

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    there's your failing, go to the burt, park up, fly home, fly back get your bike and pick up the SCF on the way....
    Fly from ChCh, I can park the bike and deliver/collect you from the airport. Or someone at the Burt will hold it for you down there....

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Fly from ChCh, I can park the bike and deliver/collect you from the airport. Or someone at the Burt will hold it for you down there....
    queenstown a good option, plenty of flights direct and midway, invers will cost you an arm a leg and a sex organ to get to and from, dunners is another option or chch value wise, or of course timaru airport which is a few hundred meters from the track, means you can hammer the bar and turn up like a truck load o spastics cause you don't have to ride anywhere....

Bike
    Exercycle
    or of course timaru airport which is a few hundred meters from the track, means you can hammer the bar and turn up like a truck load o spastics cause you don't have to ride anywhere....
    That's the voice, bowels and bladder of experience talking.....

Bike
    suzuki
    means you can hammer the bar and turn up like a truck load o spastics cause you don't have to ride anywhere....
    That's the voice, bowels and bladder of experience talking.....
    except those little planes don't have a bar on them....

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Yeah, I think you are correct there M, facts do beat ancient memories..

Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    err, no. The times quoted earlier, if you add 10 seconds on are bang on. Someone has made a typo when keying them in. The quickest bike at Puke was about 2008 where Bugden set a lap record at 56.28. Some one may have beaten that, but is marginal as from about 2010 Hampton Downs was used for the nationals. But as you'd be fully aware, despite only being "road production" based, they are by far a better bike in terms of performance than a 1970's TZ750, KR750 or RG500 ever were or could be, on a point to point basis. Also noting my previous comment about the circuit being circa 2 seconds a lap quicker with changes made in 1991.

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/740735

Right Mal, I do recall watching Graham McRae doing the pole lap of 55.2 in the NZ F 5000 G.P. 1972..

But here is some Marlboro Series TVNZ footage showing laps at Puke reportedly ~10 secs slower.. sans chicanes..
    Although, to be fair, it did take the Superbikes a few decades to beat the 190+ mph trap speeds recorded by those F 750s..

( Note Mike Hailwood doing trackside interviews & do try to ignore Tony Palmer's execrable commentary)

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s

Tis a good thing

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    ( Note Mike Hailwood doing trackside interviews & do try to ignore Tony Palmer's execrable commentary)

Eh? go an have another listen,I swear he said "Avant Willing and Woodley are swapping places like swingers wives."
    Hear that these day's and some PC anal retentive would be up in arms crying on the 6 0'clock news.

Great vid tho.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    queenstown a good option, plenty of flights direct and midway, invers will cost you an arm a leg and a sex organ to get to and from, dunners is another option or chch value wise, or of course timaru airport which is a few hundred meters from the track, means you can hammer the bar and turn up like a truck load o spastics cause you don't have to ride anywhere....
    Thanks for all the good advice but alas plan are made an me and the ol' R90s are booked on Ferries and Airbnb's. I would like to run the race BMW around some SItracks at some point while I still can.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Right Mal, I do recall watching Graham McRae doing the pole lap of 55.2 in the NZ F 5000 G.P. 1972..

But here is some Marlboro Series TVNZ footage showing laps at Puke reportedly ~10 secs slower.. sans chicanes..
    Although, to be fair, it did take the Superbikes a few decades to beat the 190+ mph trap speeds recorded by those F 750s..

let's just say the 190+mph quoted would have had a certain sensationalist hype/bullshit factor built in to amuse the punters. Paul McLachlan held the NZ outright motorcycle land speed record on a big TZ at only 180mph in the late 70's and held it for many years. I think John Hepburn finally broke it on a Hyabusa superbike.

The F5000 lap sounds about right. Love those things - they are weapons that rearrange your internal organs, sonically! Saw some footage of a modern build F5000 type car (FT5000 aka Formula Thunder) and in testing first time out was doing 1.24's at Phillip Island, he only just needed to roll it off but hold the same gear for turn 1. The bikes are down 2.........best Motogp lap was 1.27.9 in qualifying a few years ago. A good wings and slicks open wheeler with suitable HP will always outrun a bike.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    let's just say the 190+mph quoted would have had a certain sensationalist hype/bullshit factor built in to amuse the punters. Paul McLachlan held the NZ outright motorcycle land speed record on a big TZ at only 180mph in the late 70's and held it for many years. I think John Hepburn finally broke it on a Hyabusa superbike.

The F5000 lap sounds about right. Love those things - they are weapons that rearrange your internal organs, sonically! Saw some footage of a modern build F5000 type car (FT5000 aka Formula Thunder) and in testing first time out was doing 1.24's at Phillip Island, he only just needed to roll it off but hold the same gear for turn 1. The bikes are down 2.........best Motogp lap was 1.27.9 in qualifying a few years ago. A good wings and slicks open wheeler with suitable HP will always outrun a bike.

Yeah, downforce makes the difference, not that a road vehicle can use it..

Here are the fastest trap speeds recorded in Q for the Daytona 200 in 1974 ( 1st of many TZ 750 wins on the trot there).

From 'Cycle Australia May 1974 P. 22';

1. H. Kanaya Yamaha TZ 750 307.01 Km/h;
    2. Y. Du Hamel Kawasaki H2R 298.11 Km/h;
    3. G. Romero Yamaha TZ 750 294.11 Km/h;

Mick Grant was also speed trapped at over 190 mph on his KR 750 Kawasaki @ the IoM TT,
    - a top speed it took decades for the big Superbikes to beat.

If you check the lap records for Eastern Creek/Sydney Motorsport Park, the current Superbike
    lap record there is still not quite as quick as Criville's 500 G.P. best lap from ~20 years ago..

Bike
    suzuki

Mick Grant was also speed trapped at over 190 mph on his KR 750 Kawasaki @ the IoM TT,
    - a top speed it took decades for the big Superbikes to beat.
    i read that before going to the isle of man myself, and was hitching over there and was picked up by this guy. i asked if it was a mick grant replica helmet in his back seat, to which he replied it was the real thing, and he was mick grant....
    it was 190.6 and down from creg ny baa, most quoted speeds from the iom are on a flat surface sulby? or similar, his bike wouldn't have done anywhere near that on sulby.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Interesting...

I'd have thought that while a downhill gradient might enable a top speed to be reached quicker,
    unless the bike had the aero, & gearing to extend out, then the top speed is still a finite thing.

His speed recorded on the trap was, none-the-less - better than all others through there..

Mick Grant is also on record as stating that he'd regularly achieved speeds over 180 mph on
    the KR 750 running around the banking at Daytona, which isn't flat either..

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post
    Eh? go an have another listen,I swear he said "Avant Willing and Woodley are swapping places like swingers wives."
    Hear that these day's and some PC anal retentive would be up in arms crying on the 6 0'clock news.

Great vid tho.
    Ummm, yeah, I'm not sure you have heard Jellywrestlers commentary at the cemetery circuit, or anywhere else for that matter.
    Is that bloke on the video between 15 & 20 seconds a bit too stoned to pass the drug test next morning or what?
    The dude is off his fuckin chops, but very happy nonetheless.

Thread Information