Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pukekohe Classic Racing Festival Feb 4/5 2017

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Pukekohe Classic Racing Festival Feb 4/5 2017

The 38th Classic Racing Festival is on again Feb 4/5.

MNZ Permit- 16518
    This years theme is Marlboro Series Reunion so there should be a good turn out of riders and bikes from that era as well as displays. More bikes and riders to follow.
    Entry is $25 a day or $40 for the weekend.
    Family pass is $50 for weekend.
    Entry for riders is $225
    Non members $250
    South Islanders $ 125
    Track Parade $140
    T shirts $30 pre ordered, $35 on the day.
    Camping is available Saturday night as part of entry.

Classes are:

Vintage & Pre War - Pre '31, Pre '46 350, Pre '46 500
    0-250cc - Pre '63 250 Clubmans, Pre '63 250 Modified, Classic 70's 250
    251-350cc - Pre '63 350 Clubmans, Pre '63 350 Factory Racing, Pre '63 350 Modified, Classic 70's 350 and 0-250cc - Pre '63 250 Factory Racing
    351-500cc - Pre '63 500 Clubmans, Pre '63 500 Factory Racing, Pre '63 500 Modified, Classic 70's 500
    501cc-Open - Pre '63 Open Modified, Classic 70's Open
    Sidecars - Pre '63, Pre '76
    Post Classic - Pre '82 Senior, Pre '89 F1
    Post Classic - Pre '82 Junior, Pre '89 F2, Pre '89 F3
    Track Parade

Good opportunity to get those Classic 70's bikes out on the track.
    Also looking for any stories and photos from that time that I can post up the Facebook site

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106389289485667/

Cheers John
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Does anyone have any program information or details on the Series run from December 73 to Jan 78 they could PM me as I'm after some background for the Program. Cheers John
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    a red heap
    Will there be ear plugs available, and can you stop the racing so i can push a pram across to the infield?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Will there be ear plugs available, and can you stop the racing so i can push a pram across to the infield?
    I was under the impression you had sold the BMW?

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Do you mean the Marlboro Series?

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Does anyone have any program information or details on the Series run from December 73 to Jan 78 they could PM me as I'm after some background for the Program. Cheers John
    Try this Johnny: http://forums.autosport.com/topic/12...rlboro-series/

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I've received a copy of the 2017 poster.
    Event will feature Stu Avant, Graeme Crosby Kevin Magee

I'm after a bit more info on the Marlboro Series, any pics or stories of the time?

Anyone tell me about Dale Wylie, he won the first series and apparently pretty quick on a Norton Commando.

Also John Boote, tested out the then new TZ 700.

They set a cracking pace around Pukekohe 40 years ago.

Pat Hennen who won the Series three times was the first American to win a 500 GP race- Finnish GP 1976 and at Pukekohe set the lap record of 54.6 seconds in 1974, 54 in 1975 and 52.6 in 1976, which stood for the next 7 years until David Hiscock in 1983 set a 52.40, following year Robert Holden dropped it to 52.34.
    How many of the NZ riders are still here in NZ and are some of the bikes still around?

If you like the smell of 2 stroke there is going to be a lot of it at this event, no more sniffing the weedeater fumes

Bike
    suzuki

I'm after a bit more info on the Marlboro Series, any pics or stories of the time?

Anyone tell me about Dale Wylie, he won the first series and apparently pretty quick on a Norton Commando.

How many of the NZ riders are still here in NZ and are some of the bikes still around?

If you like the smell of 2 stroke there is going to be a lot of it at this event, no more sniffing the weedeater fumes
    how many words do you want?

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.

err, you will find that was 60 something second bracket, not 50 something second bracket. Note there were some changes to the circuit in 1991 which made it about 2 seconds a lap quicker than the original format used.

JB is around on Facebook and he'll confirm, but I understood he first tested the TZ750A at Manfeild before he raced and won at Gracefield, not Puke. Rivet counting, but there is no such thing as a TZ700, just TZ750A and some B models which were 700cc. . Even Yamaha called them 750's from day one.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Come down to the SCF in December and talk to most of them prior to your event....plus quite a few marlboro series survivors.

John Boote is still around and will be riding down here. Haven't seen Dale for years, don't even know if he's out of jail...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Rivet counting, but there is no such thing as a TZ700, just TZ750A and some B models which were 700cc. . Even Yamaha called them 750's from day one.
    just like these often being called the McIntosh BR1, they're a Mcintosh Bathurst Replica, the next model was called a BR2 so people counted back and got BR1...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bathurst1-730x548.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	326127  

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Anyone got the old programs? They listed lap records.

AFAIR, pre-chicane ( did the bikes even have to use them?) in the early `70s the F 5000s were in the mid-to-low 50s..
    & the new F 750 bikes were pretty close to them time-wise too, all screaming down the back straight at 170+ mph.

No mufflers back then of course, open megas & straight stingers for the 2Ts..

When Wayne Gardner came over to race V8 Stupidcars at Puke,
    - I asked him if he thought he could get around there quicker than the car,
    on his factory Honda NSR 500 G.P. bike, & he said "Yeah sure, with the proper set up, maybe low 50s"

Be interesting to see how quick Kevin Magee can get the YZR 500 going, certainly the BSL had the Britten whipped there on exhibition runs..

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    how many words do you want?
    I need about 800 for the program, and I gather you are coming up to do the commentary too ,

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    err, you will find that was 60 something second bracket, not 50 something second bracket. Note there were some changes to the circuit in 1991 which made it about 2 seconds a lap quicker than the original format used.

JB is around on Facebook and he'll confirm, but I understood he first tested the TZ750A at Manfeild before he raced and won at Gracefield, not Puke. Rivet counting, but there is no such thing as a TZ700, just TZ750A and some B models which were 700cc. . Even Yamaha called them 750's from day one.
    Yes I wondered about the TZ 700 but as it was in a bike magazine article I figured it must have been correct, glad I asked here.
    I'd prefer to get the details right prior to print. I only know about BMW rivets

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Come down to the SCF in December and talk to most of them prior to your event....plus quite a few marlboro series survivors.

John Boote is still around and will be riding down here. Haven't seen Dale for years, don't even know if he's out of jail...
    I would but I've got only just enough leave to ride to the Burt and back ,
    Kevin Grant is doing the organising of the event, I'm just doing that new fangled internet thingie.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post

When Wayne Gardner came over to race V8 Stupidcars at Puke,
    He planted it in the wall on the hill right in front of me.

Thread Information