Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leather vs Fabric in a slide

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    Fabric does better in the wet, as it slides across & does not tear/melt so readily.
    Wet leather is more likely to tear/dig in & tumble you.

Coarse chip is harsher on fabric than leather, but still more 'cheese grater' in effect than smooth hot-mix..

Of course, if you slam into a curb/pole/tree or other solid obstruction at speed, ATGATT just becomes a body bag..
    I know a guy that sells body bags, i think he quoted about $80 for one to a fisherman (for Marlin), maybe I can see about getting one for riding and skipping the middle step...

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.
    Does that price include the juice pads like meat trays have - to soak up the fluids spillage?

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    I had a small slide at 45 km/h on damp tarmac/light shipseal. Fabric pants, leather jacket. Barely any damage - scuffed up my boots, scratches on the reflective part on the pants thats it. Diesel on tyres + old bitch doing a u-turn in front of me not indicating = some stunt work that nearly saved the day. But the bumper knocked the back tyre and down I went. Sprained my ankle getting up with 200 kg of bike on top of me.
    Skulls N Flames. Bye bye FZR may you have many more miles with your new owner. 600cc time soon!

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Probably not the right place, but its pretty close.

Riding clothing with removable armour?

I see quite a few leather and fabric riding jackets with the extra layer of material on the shoulders, elbows etc that covers the removable armour that fits in these areas.

I find the armour quite bulky on my Triumph leather Jacket and have noticed a few riders have removed them from their leather jackets. I would not remove any padding for open road riding, but wondered what your thoughts are for keeping it in for town and about riding?

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Probably not the right place, but its pretty close.

Riding clothing with removable armour?

I see quite a few leather and fabric riding jackets with the extra layer of material on the shoulders, elbows etc that covers the removable armour that fits in these areas.

I find the armour quite bulky on my Triumph leather Jacket and have noticed a few riders have removed them from their leather jackets. I would not remove any padding for open road riding, but wondered what your thoughts are for keeping it in for town and about riding?
    what you talkin bout willis, since when has shorts singlet and jandals had armour in them. what more do ya need for a short ride round town or up to the naki

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    what you talkin bout willis, since when has shorts singlet and jandals had armour in them. what more do ya need for a short ride round town or up to the naki

Believe it or not I had a big fella ride past me doing about 70kms in a 50km zone wearing exactly that clothing, well apart from the tiny plastic helmet that flew off of his head, I couldn't believe my eyes when he did a u turn to go pick it up off the footpath where it had landed, he had the biggest grin I have seen in awhile, maybe he was pleased that he could finally lower his arms off the ridiculous Ape hangers that looked to be higher than his head.

Bike
    2010 Suzuki Bandit 1250 SA
    Too bad Gore-Tex laminated leather went out of style for some reason, because they're the shit. Used to be at least Alpinestars, Dainese, Aerostitch and Rukka making suits. Now there's only Rukka with their stupidly expensive Merlin jacket and pants.

I managed to pick up a pair of Alpinestars 365 goretex leather pants from a closeout sale a few years back and they're the best pants I ever had, after some minor armor upgrades. They had ran out of jackets in my size, but still it's a lot quicker to put on a just rain jacket compared to trying to pull rain pants over damp leathers and boots when is starts raining.
    On trips to Scotland and the Isle of Man the pants have proven their water resistance, too, people ain't lying when it comes to UK weather

Also yay, first post here!

Bike
    Suzuki RF600R
    Leather all the way for me... dainese and alpinestars survived well. Bit of a tidy up and good as gold to wear again.

Textile can be ok but best to get top quality.

Personal choice really.

Bike
    SV650
    Reading through this makes me realise I have to get some better fitting gear. The armour in trouser is half way up my thighs when I'm on the bike. Bloody difficult to find off the shelf stuff for tall lanky fellas though...

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Stop buying it for them and get yourself some gear then!

Leather or fabric makes little difference:

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post

Leather or fabric makes little difference:
    Oh there's a difference. I'll wear fabric stuff when it suits the situation, but I accept it's less than optimal. Check out the video below, fabric wouldn't do well in that situation...

https://youtu.be/KKLYrG7_oYk

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Oh there's a difference. I'll wear fabric stuff when it suits the situation, but I accept it's less than optimal. Check out the video below, fabric wouldn't do well in that situation...

https://youtu.be/KKLYrG7_oYk
    Brilliant. Sums it up really.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Entertaining vid ... but that's not a scientific test. The guy didn't even compare leather with fabric.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Every bike accident is totally subjective in respect to each individual incident. You can only do your best. Best is governed by perceived risk, available cash and practicality. The best accident avoidance tactic is being happy and comfortable. Then you layer gear and skill and observation and everything else on top. How you get comfortable and happy is up to you, but I really think that masturbation is a thing best left in private.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Got something that can back that statement up?
    Years ago FB or PB did a test with a linishing belt simple Kelar weave was the winner.
    they used simple $10 kelar gloves that looked like normal cotton gloves

That is not to say thats the only requirement for protective gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information