Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Leather vs Fabric in a slide

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    After watching the vid below and checking motocap site don’t think I’ll ever buy textiles again... already moving back to leathers.
    One interesting thing of note “Burst strength” is behaviour of product typically in a lower speed crash where you drive a limb harder and more directly into the ground than say a higher speed long slide impact. Chip seal abrasion is 4 times more than ashphalt.
    The motocap Webb site show some even the expensive Klim gear is only 3/10 compared to my cheaper 1/10 gear, leather product size typically acting close to if not an actual 10/10....
    Great video, but it didn't review textile gear (i.e. not jeans). The video showed the difference between single layer and lined jeans and the importance of armour.
    I wear DriRider textile/leather clothing, rather than leather, to look forward to the textile review that is coming soon..
    My main concern on the roads I ride is not so much the slide but hitting objects on the side of the road, including armco barriers.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Great video, but it didn't review textile gear (i.e. not jeans). The video showed the difference between single layer and lined jeans and the importance of armour.
    I wear DriRider textile/leather clothing, rather than leather, to look forward to the textile review that is coming soon..
    My main concern on the roads I ride is not so much the slide but hitting objects on the side of the road, including armco barriers.
    Yup, it's the objects I really try to avoid. Gravel rash is one thing, smacking a lamp post is a different ball game.

I recently bought a new textile jacket and for the first time ever the armour sits where it should and tightens into place. No wobbling or deflection.

Having had knee pads and elbow pads pushed out of place in the past, this is a biggie for me.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Yup, it's the objects I really try to avoid. Gravel rash is one thing, smacking a lamp post is a different ball game.

I recently bought a new textile jacket and for the first time ever the armour sits where it should and tightens into place. No wobbling or deflection.

Having had knee pads and elbow pads pushed out of place in the past, this is a biggie for me.
    Some pads in some gear is there more to hold the shape of the garment when it is being sold.

Like, many flimsy back protectors are there to keep the jacket in shape when hanging on a sales rack. They aren't actually very protective.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Some pads in some gear is there more to hold the shape of the garment when it is being sold.

Like, many flimsy back protectors are there to keep the jacket in shape when hanging on a sales rack. They aren't actually very protective.
    Yup, I made sure of the rating for the pads in my new jacket.

The armour in my old leather jacket disintegrated. Glad I didn't test it.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    If your hitting solid objects at roadside it will be of concern for mere nano second shift before you depart to a place where you never have concerns again....
    Although a flatmate of mine was very fortunate that a proper track spec back protector saved his spine in a glancing blow to a power pole after a crash that started at 130k. His internal organs weren’t as happy as his spine though and he was very lucky to enjoy a long painful recovery.
    Armour is for spreading the load and reducing point loads but a severe impact is still going to be severe injury.
    I think marketing hype is overstating levels of protection
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Well I put my money where my mouth is and blew a full weeks wages on a mid to high end rated brand name two piece leathers.
    Its tested and rated AAA (best) for protection and CE2 (best) tested and rated for its included hip knee shoulder and back amour.
    I’m very happy and my textiles will only see light of day on known super cold wet adventures.
    Interestingly many manufacturers now offer leather jackets with integrated airbags for what looks like not too much extra cash, probably be mainstream offering very soon.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Well I put my money where my mouth is and blew a full weeks wages on a mid to high end rated brand name two .
    shit you got a new suit for your weekly wage of $500, great deal
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Don't be so cruel. You can get some great Lookalike deals on AliExpress
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information