Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New as NOOB (mojo1444)

Bike

Cool New as NOOB (mojo1444)

Hi and greetings to the members.

I was just browsing youtube when my eyes saw a clip for a Victory ! the rest is history.

before that motorcycle didn't exist to me. I didn't even notice them on the roads. now I see them everywhere. seems I've got the bug. I've done some quick research and went as far of buying a motor boot and first two hour training with dan from motorcycletraining.co.nz nice fella.

found this site and it looks I can gain more by joining. so please be easy on me . I was wondering should I go LAM new from the dealer or pre-owned. I do know helmets need to be new and to stay away from 5 year old models.

I'll keep the mojo going and increase my skills with more classes. appreciate any advice out there?!

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Welcome to the site.

Great idea seeing someone like Dan, he'll steer you in the right direction. As to whether you should buy new or used depends on your goals with motorcycling. There are a lot of LAMS approved bikes that will satisfy many peoples needs for a long time, however if you're after more power etc then they simply are a stepping stone. If you intend to eventually own a bike above the LAMS limits then buying a late model second hand bike is probably the best bet, the big hit of initial depreciation has been taken by the first owner so it will hurt you less in the pocket when you move on. A lot of people will say to avoid bikes as a new rider that are full faired, makes sense as they are expensive to replace if you drop the bike, even at a stand still.

What's your budget? Where do you ultimately see yourself heading with motorcycling? Don't skimp on gear, good quality gloves, boots, helmet, jacket and pants are worth their weight in gold.

Most of all, enjoy yourself. Take your time, don't rush anything. Learn road craft, how to read other road users, road conditions etc.

Bike
    Thanks onearmedbandit great questions. Honestly I'm taking it step by step so no long plan's at the moment but it will be nice to have a Victory in 10 years later if I'm still in one peace. Budget not so much as I'm a family man and during this silly season it will get tight. 😬 I prefer not to crash as I'm not a risk taker but I know it's a learning process and it will happen eventually. So by the time I get my hands on a nice bike I hope my skills will be honed enough to be worthy of such a beauty. ✌️

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Welcome.

Buy great gear and a cheap bike. After riding for a bit you may want to change styles etc. See what you like before a big bike investment.

The more training the better but take time to get used to what you have been taught.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Welcome.

Buy great gear and a cheap bike. After riding for a bit you may want to change styles etc. See what you like before a big bike investment.

The more training the better but take time to get used to what you have been taught.

Thanks I was thinking to start with a dual bike to have both on road and off road experience but they are not cheap. any good brands to consider?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Welcome to KB fellow chch-er. High five!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Welcome to KB fellow chch-er. High five!
    thanks EJK I think the dilemma here is going to be new or old ? With new you get the latest safety plus dealer service. With old you get a better bike but if your not mechanically minded you might end up wasting time instead of enjoying rides. Not sure how insurance works here. Should I be aware of anything insurance wise?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1444 View Post
    thanks EJK I think the dilemma here is going to be new or old ? With new you get the latest safety plus dealer service. With old you get a better bike but if your not mechanically minded you might end up wasting time instead of enjoying rides. Not sure how insurance works here. Should I be aware of anything insurance wise?

Late model Japanese brands are very reliable so you should not face any issues there. Consumables like chains, sprockets, brakes etc are easy to check, same with fork oil leaks. If you're not sure then there are plenty of local riders who can give a second opinion. What is your budget? Suzuki DR's are an excellent dual purpose bike and while they hold their value well they are very reliable and sought after, meaning you won't lose much when selling. Tell us your budget.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Regarding insurance, although it's a very personal thing (ie some swear by such and such company, others swear off them) KiwiBiker insurance rates generally well, and a great local option is David Golightly, a broker who is a motorcyclist and very active in the motorcycling culture.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The Suzuki DR650 and Kawasaki KL650 are popular cheaper adventure bikes with the Suzuki Vstrom being popular also but more expensive. The older Honda XL650 Transalp is popular too. The only negative with adventure bikes is they have very tall seats so you would have to rule out most if you are short. Considering your ultimate bike is a cruiser there are plenty of small cruisers on the market too but keep in mind due to their low ground clearance they would not be as safe as other bikes on tight twisty roads.
    Thanks cassina I'll take a note of those models. I'm quite tall and heavy average build so seat height might be an issue. Guess I won't know until I test ride some.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Regarding insurance, although it's a very personal thing (ie some swear by such and such company, others swear off them) KiwiBiker insurance rates generally well, and a great local option is David Golightly, a broker who is a motorcyclist and very active in the motorcycling culture.
    This info will be handy when the time comes. onearmedbandit

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Some appealing new lams bikes

like the new 2016 SV650 (linked review) or the 2016 Honda CB500Fif you're going new. Pre-owned is a different story. You're less likely to find ABS on older bikes or some of the new learner friendly features.

One thing doesn't seem to line up - You want a dual sport for dirt biking and road biking. However your aspirational bike is a Victory?

Those are very different bikes with different handling characteristics.........
    and maintenance requirements.....
    and gear (well you could go dirt biking in leathers I suppose.....).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    like the new 2016 SV650 (linked review) or the 2016 Honda CB500Fif you're going new. Pre-owned is a different story. You're less likely to find ABS on older bikes or some of the new learner friendly features.

One thing doesn't seem to line up - You want a dual sport for dirt biking and road biking. However your aspirational bike is a Victory?

Those are very different bikes with different handling characteristics.........
    and maintenance requirements.....
    and gear (well you could go dirt biking in leathers I suppose.....).
    LOL that will be hilarious... The reason I ask and I might be wrong is during my research I got the impression it's better to start with small bike's as you can hone your skills by pushing the bike to the limit. The off road was not in mind until suggest recently by a mate for added fun as he has KTM something imported from South Africa one of a kind. I'm just learning the types and names. I notice some Chinese manufacturers in treadme are they any good?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1444 View Post
    LOL that will be hilarious... The reason I ask and I might be wrong is during my research I got the impression it's better to start with small bike's as you can hone your skills by pushing the bike to the limit. The off road was not in mind until suggest recently by a mate for added fun as he has KTM something imported from South Africa one of a kind. I'm just learning the types and names. I notice some Chinese manufacturers in treadme are they any good?

The best reason to learn on a dirt bike, in the dirt, is that you tend to crash at lower speeds, into a slightly less immovable landscape. It also teaches you much faster because the gap between "control input required" and "crash" is wider, giving you more learning opportunities.

Dirt bikes also crash better, and what repairs are required tend to represent technical training opportunities rather than the wallet and health threatening results you'd normally expect from a road bike.

And no, Chinese made machinery not branded as BMW or Benelli or some other such recognisable marque providing historically acceptable back-up service should be avoided.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    The best reason to learn on a dirt bike, in the dirt, is that you tend to crash at lower speeds, into a slightly less immovable landscape. It also teaches you much faster because the gap between "control input required" and "crash" is wider, giving you more learning opportunities.

Dirt bikes also crash better, and what repairs are required tend to represent technical training opportunities rather than the wallet and health threatening results you'd normally expect from a road bike.

And no, Chinese made machinery not branded as BMW or Benelli or some other such recognisable marque providing historically acceptable back-up service should be avoided.
    Thanks Ocean1 I'll keep that in mind.

Thread Information