Thread: Help possible bearing issue and suppose to be doing bike training monday

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R

Help possible bearing issue and suppose to be doing bike training monday

Yesterday I thought I heard and felt some noise and clunks in the front of my 62,000 km's CBR1000RR on the way to work. On the way home it was worse. Not all the time but definite feedback through grips of a clunky feeling at times. Some noise like squeaks or just clunks. Seems to appear at times in changes or speed but can just go away at constant speed or come and go. I see nothing lose, wheel on ground has no movement, did not detect any heat in the area.

I suspect bearing (not sure never had one go) the tires is just off wear bars. I am suppose to be doing California superbike training in Taupo on Mon/Tues (which is a 3-4 hour ride on Sunday just to get there). Did the street sprint (only one run) in Featherston last Sunday (got a poxy 254 but it was only one run before I had to go). This bike does 750kms a week normally (the Featherston run was nearly four hours round trip to do one run).

I will see if I can get it looked at tomorrow but probably dreaming to get it done ready for Monday. Might have to take the untested 1992 GSXR-750 (on the trailer given no lights / registration etc).

Coming and going does this sound like the bearing? I've no idea!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Sounds exactly like front wheel bearings. Do it before it spits you off.

Change that front tyre at the same time. If its just off the wear bars no way it will last a trackday.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Front wheel bearings aren't a big deal for a bike workshop to sort out. Drop bike off in the morning, pick up that afternoon, that sort of thing. They'll need to go to a bearing shop to pick up replacements, but these are almost always standard sizes carried as normal stock. They shouldn't have to be ordered in.

If you want to do this yourself, you need a slide hammer bearing puller with a collet to lock into the bearing's inner race, and some means of driving the replacement bearing - usually a large diameter socket - that fits the outer bearing race. Pulling bearings - it's OK to wreck them. Fitting bearings - never put force across the rolling elements, always drive on the race that's being fitted to the shaft or the housing. If you indent the raceways by driving across the rolling elements then the bearing's shot on installation.

Tooling will not be cheap so you're not saving money doing it yourself unless you are in it for the long haul.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    If you do it yourself and it is easy, use a heat gun on the hub before you knock the old ones out.

Also get a sense of the relative fit ie distance from a flange etc to bearing so you know when they are seated rather than just relying on feel.

When refitting, fire the bearing in the freezer for an hour or two before fitting and using a heat gun to gently warm the hub again. This will contract the bearing and expand the hub slightly which helps them go back in. Also really make sure you have everything square.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

Change that front tyre at the same time. If its just off the wear bars no way it will last a trackday.
    Indeed wheel bearing it was. When the front wheel was raised it was not at all free spinning (quite stiff). It actually rode well that morning and was not hot on stopping. There was a little dried rust liquid run off on one side near the bearing before removing. It was (now I realise due to no longer there) making a swishing noise for some time.

Bruce Lewis from Motor Cycle Inspection Services sorted me out again in a day. Rode loner wee scooter / moped / bike across town which was great fun (crazy wide wheel auto clutch small motorcycle setup thing). He has sorted me out multiple times now on short notice and is working on my modernised Katana.

I was a day out also thinking it was Friday yesterday ( busy week ).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Front wheel bearings aren't a big deal for a bike workshop to sort out. Drop bike off in the morning, pick up that afternoon, that sort of thing. They'll need to go to a bearing shop to pick up replacements, but these are almost always standard sizes carried as normal stock. They shouldn't have to be ordered in.

If you want to do this yourself... If you indent the raceways by driving across the rolling elements then the bearing's shot on installation.

Tooling will not be cheap so you're not saving money doing it yourself unless you are in it for the long haul.
    Shop sorted it same day MCIS in Wellington. Running nice now, quite suddenly and a little easier to wheel backwards. Amazing how stiff the wheel was when he was testing it. I'd like to get more tooled up I'm working on getting time also.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

Shit also I should have changed the front tire that is so true. It is just training days so no racing but they are so lose. Happily I am not riding there or back now (friend with towbar, friend with Trailer - nice to have friends).

Thread Information