Page 72 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1585

Thread: MotoGP 2017

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Really enjoyed Hugh Anderson's one before that and Croz's too.
    Anyone here around when Hugh rode his factory (Yamaha????) 5 cylinder 125 at Wigram. Fantastic to watch him blast past the big bikes on the straight. There was another guy whose name escapes me that rode an Aerial Leader, everyone passed him on the straight but then he passed them all on the corners, and so it continued for the whole race. If the start/finish wasn't just around the corner from the long straight he would have won.

Oh yeah and Croz held a workshop at Ruapuna, learnt some great stuff from him.

Cheers

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Anyone here around when Hugh rode his factory (Yamaha????) 5 cylinder 125 at Wigram. Fantastic to watch him blast past the big bikes on the straight.
    Anderson was a factory Suzuki rider. I hadn't heard about a five cylinder Suzuki 125. Things were getting fairly "out there" before the FIM put the brakes on, I can see reference to square and V four 125s and a 50cc triple ffs, but no five cylinder 125.

Don't recall seeing Anderson ride one of his factory bikes here but he may well have. Through the fog of time I do seem to recall seeing Jim Redman parade a Honda 250cc four around Pukekohe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    There was another guy whose name escapes me that rode an Aerial Leader,
    May have been an Ariel Arrow? Some of those were raced, one on the IoM even. The Leader was like a big scooter.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Think Honda had a 5 cyl 125cc in about 1966 pritch ?
    Showing my age now,but I was a big fan of the 250cc V4 Yamahas and 250cc 6 cyl Hondas in 1966 at the tender age of 16 .
    Used to wait months for the MCN Newspaper mags to arrive from Pommy land. (by seagull )???

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I'd have to brush up on Anderson's book again but I do remember in that he did talk of bringing a works Suzuki home but I am sure it was one of the twins and I remember him talking of demo-ing it at Wanganui on the old track out of town but don't remember mention of Wigram. The year he really had the twin humming it was fast too before they built the V4 so it would easily have seen off a few other bikes on a straight anyway.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Okay went and had a look at Hugh's book for you. He says in 1965-66 season besides doing the demo at Wanganui he did race the Suzuki all over NZ. He says he would have loved to have raced at the Wanganui races but that year they used a part gravel circuit at Okoia and the Suzuki had its carburettors low (disk valve) and he didn't want it sucking dust so he only demo-ed it on the sealed part.

In the rest of the country here he was on his 125 racing against 350's and 500's. It sounds like he could easily win all the 350 races and did win races against the 500's at Tauranga. At Pukekohe he was chasing Neville Landrebe's G50 down the back straight and got caught out by Neville braking hard such that Hugh clipped his back wheel and fell off. He picked the bike up and after seeing 35 bikes go by got going again, passed them all but Neville to finish the race a close second.

Regarding Wigram he says he got two third places in the main races with close finishes behind Neville Landrebe on the G50 and Ginger Molloy on the 250 Bultaco.

At Teretonga it sounded like again he had close finishes but for second behind Neville. The Suzuki had 8 gears, revved to 14,000rpm and was good for 209km/hr (129.9mph) so up against British 350 and 500 singles it was pretty darn quick.

There is no mention in the book of any 5 cylinder (presumably Honda) being on the scene at Wigram that year.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Anderson was a factory Suzuki rider. I hadn't heard about a five cylinder Suzuki 125. Things were getting fairly "out there" before the FIM put the brakes on, I can see reference to square and V four 125s and a 50cc triple ffs, but no five cylinder 125.

Don't recall seeing Anderson ride one of his factory bikes here but he may well have. Through the fog of time I do seem to recall seeing Jim Redman parade a Honda 250cc four around Pukekohe.

May have been an Ariel Arrow? Some of those were raced, one on the IoM even. The Leader was like a big scooter.
    Hugh bought and did up then sold and EX works Suzuki and had it here in NZ in the late 80's not sure if he ever demo'd it here though.
    It was a 50cc twin
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130374843
    Okay went and had a look at Hugh's book for you. He says in 1965-66 season besides doing the demo at Wanganui he did race the Suzuki all over NZ. He says he would have loved to have raced at the Wanganui races but that year they used a part gravel circuit at Okoia and the Suzuki had its carburettors low (disk valve) and he didn't want it sucking dust so he only demo-ed it on the sealed part.

In the rest of the country here he was on his 125 racing against 350's and 500's. It sounds like he could easily win all the 350 races and did win races against the 500's at Tauranga. At Pukekohe he was chasing Neville Landrebe's G50 down the back straight and got caught out by Neville braking hard such that Hugh clipped his back wheel and fell off. He picked the bike up and after seeing 35 bikes go by got going again, passed them all but Neville to finish the race a close second.

Regarding Wigram he says he got two third places in the main races with close finishes behind Neville Landrebe on the G50 and Ginger Molloy on the 250 Bultaco.

At Teretonga it sounded like again he had close finishes but for second behind Neville. The Suzuki had 8 gears, revved to 14,000rpm and was good for 209km/hr (129.9mph) so up against British 350 and 500 singles it was pretty darn quick.

There is no mention in the book of any 5 cylinder (presumably Honda) being on the scene at Wigram that year.
    Barry Sheene had his ex Stuart Graham RT67 Suzuki twin up until his death he had used it as a private entry in 1971 and nearly one the 1971 125 world title on it as a privateer.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130618964
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle

I was at that Wigram meeting. I suspect Hugh might have got it wrong but I'd have to locate a copy of the Motor Racing Club history to sort it. I remember it as two wins for Hugh on the 125 with Ginger second both times. Tom McCleary blew up the Manx I later owned, leading the first race for about half distance.
    The Ariel Arrow was Owen Galbraith who later rode Kawasakis for Norjo Motors.

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Hugh bought and did up then sold and EX works Suzuki and had it here in NZ in the late 80's not sure if he ever demo'd it here though.
    It was a 50cc twin
    Love those pics of the Suzuki and Ralph Bryans Honda was no slouch either.
    50cc twin,21000 rpm...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170721_141855.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	331872  

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Yeah you're probably right, I was a young lad and my memory isn't that good these days. Right again arrow I think.

Cheers

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I was at that Wigram meeting. I suspect Hugh might have got it wrong but I'd have to locate a copy of the Motor Racing Club history to sort it. I remember it as two wins for Hugh on the 125 with Ginger second both times. Tom McCleary blew up the Manx I later owned, leading the first race for about half distance.
    The Ariel Arrow was Owen Galbraith who later rode Kawasakis for Norjo Motors.
    I didn't see you there, we used to go every year. Yes, Owen Galbraith, that's right. Wow, literally a lifetime ago.

Cheers

Bike
    Various things
    And whilst we're waiting...a 250GP engine on the mile? Oh yeah...

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/shrieking-terror-clay/

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    tsk tsk. naughty.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    And whilst we're waiting...a 250GP engine on the mile? Oh yeah...

https://www.superbikeplanet.com/shrieking-terror-clay/
    you had me at shreiking terror!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information