Page 8 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2017

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Howzat for a bombshell?

There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    77 XL250
    750 triple... I think that would fit the bill nicely.

Will it match the Honda reliability level though? That question should start a fight. Let the stories of the exploding Triumph begin.

My task is to throw petrol on the flames and sell tickets.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    Will it match the Honda reliability level though?
    That is the $64,000 dollar question. Dorna wanted more power from the Honda engines, but Honda wouldn't do it because it would compromise reliability. I hope Triumph are staunch enough to resist Dorna's demands too.

The Honda engines dont go to Moto2 direct, there is a facility in Europe where they are all stripped and rebuilt to be as near as possible identical in power output.
    Presumably the Triumph engines will also undergo this process. If they start going bang though we can assume perhaps not?

The Honda engines have been amazingly reliable.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Various things
    Great stuff. The triples sound much better too!

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15873603_1875906035962527_7423202217891998060_n.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	327763 Not long now !!!!!!

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Scorpio
    I've never really shared the contempt that many people have expressed for the Moto2 engines. OK, so they're not 250 2-strokes, but they're served the purpose well, I think, namely delivering reasonable power to everyone at a cheap price. However I think everyone agrees that they would be better if they were a bit narrower, a bit more powerful and sounded nicer. A 750 triple could address all 3 areas.

The Honda engines have been astonishingly reliable, but also astonishingly consistent. I understand there's a complicated process to follow if a team thinks they have a dud one. Has any team ever done that? Has any team ever been successful in proving the engine was a dud?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    I understand there's a complicated process to follow if a team thinks they have a dud one. Has any team ever done that? Has any team ever been successful in proving the engine was a dud?
    Dunno. I can see that a lot of riders would like to say they had a dud engine if their lap times were a bit down, but from the look of the following item the engine guys would know if they were bullshitting. The two hour dyno test run, the subsequent checks, and the data from each session or race would tell the story?
    http://www.mcnews.com.au/moto2-engin...behind-scenes/
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 9th January 2017 at 17:10.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    I've never really shared the contempt that many people have expressed for the Moto2 engines. OK, so they're not 250 2-strokes, but they're served the purpose well, I think, namely delivering reasonable power to everyone at a cheap price. However I think everyone agrees that they would be better if they were a bit narrower, a bit more powerful and sounded nicer. A 750 triple could address all 3 areas.
    The physical size, weight and layout of the CBR engine has meant they've ended up with bikes similar to SuperSports but with less power and a stiffer frame. They have a lot more in common with production bikes than they do with GP bikes.

There's nothing wrong with the amount of power the CBR engines were putting out, but that amount of power should be coming from a much more compact, lighter engine that's much easier to create a bike around.

However, I'll be very interested to see how the Triumph triples go. I do think it's a step forward.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    However, I'll be very interested to see how the Triumph triples go. I do think it's a step forward.
    It's what the class needs for a shake up, it went from being my fav class to watch to the one that I skip. I never really watched the 250GP bikes so I have no idea if the racing was as good, but to begin with there was some fantastic battles.

Triumph will have to work hard to compete with the reliability of the Honda donks though, they've been top notch I don't ever recall one failing in a race.

Not long to go now, when's the next testing?

Bike
    Various things
    I'll just leave this here for Old Oscar...

http://superbikeplanet.com/2017/Jan/...70108-1702.htm

G.O.A.T be fucked.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Wow, Surtees record is more incredible than I imagined.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Wow, Surtees record is more incredible than I imagined.
    That's where a list like that can be misleading. Surtees was an ace, but for years he and his team mate John Hartle had the only factory bikes in the top two classes: 350 & 500. Factory MV fours against privateer Brit singles.

I'm not sure if team orders were a thing in those days, but I don't recall ever reading about Hartle scrapping with Surtees during a race.

Like the guy who compiled the list intended though, it's OK to argue about over a beer, real or virtual.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That's where a list like that can be misleading. Surtees was an ace, but for years he and his team mate John Hartle had the only factory bikes in the top two classes: 350 & 500. Factory MV fours against privateer Brit singles.

:
    And like how Rossi only ever raced full factory bikes vs Stoners first season on a sat bike and tyres...be even worse for old mate then!

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    I'll just leave this here for Old Oscar...

http://superbikeplanet.com/2017/Jan/...70108-1702.htm

G.O.A.T be fucked.

Interesting stats. For me, Hailwood is the GOAT. Very closely followed by Ago. Third and again close is Rossi. Then is much more difficult, I could name my top 20 but after these 3 the order is not so clear

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by KawasakiKid View Post
    Interesting stats. For me, Hailwood is the GOAT.
    I'd have to agree with that. Then for me, Doohan. Stoner and MM for the most exciting to watch on the bike, along with KS.

Thread Information