Thread: Kawasaki Z1000SX 2017 - nice minor tweaks. Where's the extra HP?

Bike
    Indian Scout

Kawasaki Z1000SX 2017 - nice minor tweaks. Where's the extra HP?

Earthquakes and flooding have forced me home from work (so upsetting) and I'm bored so about time I started a thread on something.

Anyways Kwaka seem to have launched a raft of updated models for 2017. The new Z900 naked and 650 what's it called look mildly smart.

2014 Z1000SX
    Firstly I'm coming up 2 years with my Z1000SX and must say it has been an enjoyable relationship. Lots of fun bonding moments. Plenty of miles under it's belt - Ok chain. It's circumnavigated the North and South islands a couple of times without fault. Commuted heaps.

143hp is not mega but it's not a pussy either. I've clocked 265kph and with panniers fully loaded it still touches 248kph - proven on closed test approved roads of course. Wheelies are always fun but at times challenging on a large bike. 2nd gear will lift without any clutch action easy enough. Just hard work keeping such a big beast floating on one wheel for a long period. Popping short 200m - 400m wheelies is always on the menu but capturing those magic moments, where the moon aligns and it's becomes a rider & bike sex act, when the bike just hangs high in the air for ages, are not always on the menu. Don't get me wrong there have been some awesome times it's lofted it front up high and proud and let me savour balance point for a decent length. Something my years on 600s had me consider were standard riding procedure.

I wish the ABS could be switched off for stoppies but again with 220 + kg that may wreck havoc so best it doesn't. The riding position is nigh on perfect for sports action and long range comfort. Big tick there Mr K.

It is a fast bike on the hills, I can get my knees to touch down but it never lets you forget it's not a 600 micro light. Be wary in a series of switch backs where the weight eventually starts to come into play and creates a tendency to run wide.

2017 model
    I'm happy and not looking to change bikes but was secretly wishing for 2017 Zed to gain 20hp and lose 15 kg. The MT10 gives this but the looks haven't won me over and my Z betters the pack when it comes to HP and torque all the way up to 8,000rpm - which is the zone I love.

I do like the tweaks to the face though and YES the gear indicator was overdue. The current traction control is great and so is the ABS, just the right levels for my liking. These continue for 2017 with some fancy add-ons for cornering.

My panniers are fantastic to fit and remove in seconds, so I've no ideal why they claim they have improved this action?

Ultimately they missed the 'must -do' by failing to increase power to keep pace with the sport tourer pack and even gained a few kgs ( a crime right there). So I can't see many current owners rushing to upgrade.

I'm off soon to ride around the North island and can't wait to enjoy the Zed in it's element.
    1st pic is the 2017. headlight area sharpened and side panels sleeker but fatter. Still a good looking lass to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z1000 2017.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	326187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141208_151829.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	810.0 KB 
ID:	326188  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Great review thanks.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I forgot the best part - the torque. 111nm is right up there with the best and makes for such an enjoyable roll on rush. From idle onwards there is no need to use the gear box much, just twist and smile.
    Top gear is a bit to close to 5th and therefore seems redundant at times. In fact that is why it definitely needed a gear indicator added this year. Stupid oversight on mine.

Riding your favourite twisties in 3rd and 4th is so rewarding. Heaps of power instantly on tap. Laying long darkies out of fast sweepers is a piece of cake. In fact I can't figure out why I am getting such good mileage from my tyres? Pilot Power 3s. The way the Zed lays down power is very impressive and it SHOULD be ripping the shit out of your rubber. Pleasantly surprising then that despite what I would call hard riding most of the time this bike is gentle on tyres. An unexpected bonus.

Commuting I can do 340-350km before filling. Hard days ride still gives an easy 300km per tank. 19 L tank.

Another nice touch is the so simple to use 3 position screen. A case of the simple approach being best- compared to silly high tech elaborate electronic screens OTT.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Maybe time to give the credit card a hammering.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/2010z1000.htm

Bike
    A
    Nice and practical review from an owner

Just read a write up on the 2017 model and wondered about weight & power as well.

Bike
    S1000RR
    That Euro 4 compliant exhaust themselves look 15kgs. Fix that and you instantly get more hp and weight reduction. Win!

Nice write up

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    That Euro 4 compliant exhaust themselves look 15kgs. Fix that and you instantly get more hp and weight reduction. Win!

Nice write up
    Thanks.
    I have thought about changing the exhaust a couple of times and looked at options. But funny thing - I like the rocket launcher looks of the standard pipes and I like the noise. Ok the noise is probably more induction but it's a cool sound anyway. I can't bring myself to spend money where I don't see a pressing need.

It's really pleasing for a change to buy a new bike and not have to spend a cent on improvements or must have accessories. Thank you Mr K for that as well. I think of all the brand new exhaust systems I have ditched over many years on day one of ownership. Could melt them all down and build a small car.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Thanks.
    I have thought about changing the exhaust a couple of times and looked at options. But funny thing - I like the rocket launcher looks of the standard pipes and I like the noise. Ok the noise is probably more induction but it's a cool sound anyway. I can't bring myself to spend money where I don't see a pressing need.
    Nice to have stealth bike huh MD, every since getting the K6 I've enjoyed the induction and quiet exhaust.(must be old age or somethin?).
    Had a sit on the demo SX in AFC palmy a few weeks ago,gave you a thought.
    That 143 hp you quoted ,is that at crank or wheel? I plan to test a few nakeds when the summer comes or rain stops .

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Nice to have stealth bike huh MD, every since getting the K6 I've enjoyed the induction and quiet exhaust.(must be old age or somethin?).
    Had a sit on the demo SX in AFC palmy a few weeks ago,gave you a thought.
    That 143 hp you quoted ,is that at crank or wheel? I plan to test a few nakeds when the summer comes or rain stops .
    Well I'm 99% sure it must be 143hp at the crank, but this German bike mag chart has me puzzled -this was posted on our MT10 thread. You speakee da Deutsche? Interesting thing about this chart is the Zed nails the others in HP all the way to 8,000rpm and bests the torque race all the way to 7,500rpm. Plenty of MT10 reviewers have said it must be thrashed at the upper revs to get the fun power. Something I'm not interested in having to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z1000sx hp.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	326218  

Thread Information