Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radar detectors

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Thanks for all the feedback, I'm gonna get the tpx and see how it goes. Wasted my cash on worse things to be fair

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    If it can see your plate, then yes they will.

Camera cars don't do demerit points so you'd get fined but you wouldn't lose your license.

Cops, though... Sportsbike sales aren't what they used to be. Cruiser and adventure bike sales are up. Make of that what you will.

The Demerit system is summed up here, it's worth a look:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...emerit-points/
    I had to get off the sports a couple of years ago mainly cos of injury, that was the last time I rode til I got a more comfortable bike on Saturday....best thing I ever did.
    Hey,do the cameras in the parked wagons only look out the back then?

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by v twin View Post
    I had to get off the sports a couple of years ago mainly cos of injury, that was the last time I rode til I got a more comfortable bike on Saturday....best thing I ever did.
    Hey,do the cameras in the parked wagons only look out the back then?
    Yes they only shoot the back, but if the operator is not having a nap he will try and get your plate.
    Source: circa 2002 ~ ticket for 61 in a 50 arrived in the post 6 weeks after I thought I got away with having the flash go off while riding toward mobile speed camera.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Yes they only shoot the back, but if the operator is not having a nap he will try and get your plate.
    Source: circa 2002 ~ ticket for 61 in a 50 arrived in the post 6 weeks after I thought I got away with having the flash go off while riding toward mobile speed camera.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Bugger, so they don't need the pic to prove it then

Bike
    CB1300
    That said, I don't have a detector because if I doubled all the tickets I have had in 27 years across many licences it would still be less than one radar detector, mounts and gubbins for 2 bikes etc.
    Total demerits for same period would have me worried to have all at once but I would still be riding.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by \m/ View Post
    +1 for the TPX V2. Thing has save my arse a few times on the Gixxer, beeping when I'm ready to overtake someone, cop hiding behind the bushes a bit further down the road.
    That's the situation when they're invaluable. My V1 has been working well for about 12 yrs.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I had two small speeding tickets in quick succession. The money was a minor annoyance, the demerit points were a different matter. I needed my licence for work, so I invested in a detector.

To the OP, Generally people who say you don't need a detector have never had one. The TPX bike specific radar is popular and can be used with bluetooth, but when discussing this recently I was told that if you are listening to the phone, or to the Missus talking, or whatever, that will over ride the radar warning. That's not ideal.

The detectors are not great at picking up camera cars. The camera car radar is weak and is pointing across the road rather than along the road toward you. Also they operate on the band that has your detector warning you of every gas station and supermarket etc. So I turned that band off and just rely on my eyes for camera cars.
    I keep meaning to turn it on for cross country trips of several hours duration but can never remember.

I didn't understand your comment about the Police not needing a photo to prosecute a speeding ticket. They had the photo, all that was missing was a number plate. The operator wrote that down. That would be rare though, it is more likely the operator would be asleep.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I had two small speeding tickets in quick succession. The money was a minor annoyance, the demerit points were a different matter. I needed my licence for work, so I invested in a detector.

To the OP, Generally people who say you don't need a detector have never had one. The TPX bike specific radar is popular and can be used with bluetooth, but when discussing this recently I was told that if you are listening to the phone, or to the Missus talking, or whatever, that will over ride the radar warning. That's not ideal.

The detectors are not great at picking up camera cars. The camera car radar is weak and is pointing across the road rather than along the road toward you. Also they operate on the band that has your detector warning you of every gas station and supermarket etc. So I turned that band off and just rely on my eyes for camera cars.
    I keep meaning to turn it on for cross country trips of several hours duration but can never remember.

I didn't understand your comment about the Police not needing a photo to prosecute a speeding ticket. They had the photo, all that was missing was a number plate. The operator wrote that down. That would be rare though, it is more likely the operator would be asleep.
    I guess I meant, if they didn't have yr number on the pic then it's your word against a bored/sleepy guy. I mean you could have been anywhere with dozens of witnesses. Not that I'd start crying about it, just seems a bit wrong

I got pinged 139 on the mangakino road back when I had my last bike, didn't enjoy that so if there's anything I can do to improve my chances, I'm in...

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I bought the TPX today. I would have rather saved the money for beer or something more enjoyable. But it seems our Police state enrichment officers are multiplying at a rate I can no longer afford to stop for a roadside chat with each and every one of them. If they all looked up their ancestry online would they all turn out to be descendants of Dick Turpin?

Well it seems they all want to stop me for a chat about this and that. Demerits are piling up. Who knew that our government apparently imposed a set of maximum speed limits for NZ roads. First I've every fucking heard of this stupid idea. That line doesn't get you off a ticket by the way, in case any of you try it as an excuse.

The handy thing with the TPX is how easy I can swap it to the car. I haven't sorted the bike mount yet, none in stock for a week or so.

QUESTION:
    To those using the TPX do you find the Detector's internal speaker is enough to hear while riding. I'm hoping this and the flashy mounted light thingy will be enough. Can't be stuffed farting around with additional in-helmet speakers or lights. Did that years ago with the V1 and it damn near burns your retina to dust after a few alerts.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Predator
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I bought the TPX today. I would have rather saved the money for beer or something more enjoyable. But it seems our Police state enrichment officers are multiplying at a rate I can no longer afford to stop for a roadside chat with each and every one of them. If they all looked up their ancestry online would they all turn out to be descendants of Dick Turpin?

Well it seems they all want to stop me for a chat about this and that. Demerits are piling up. Who knew that our government apparently imposed a set of maximum speed limits for NZ roads. First I've every fucking heard of this stupid idea. That line doesn't get you off a ticket by the way, in case any of you try it as an excuse.

The handy thing with the TPX is how easy I can swap it to the car. I haven't sorted the bike mount yet, none in stock for a week or so.

QUESTION:
    To those using the TPX do you find the Detector's internal speaker is enough to hear while riding. I'm hoping this and the flashy mounted light thingy will be enough. Can't be stuffed farting around with additional in-helmet speakers or lights. Did that years ago with the V1 and it damn near burns your retina to dust after a few alerts.
    I've found that the in-helmet earpiece is necessary. Stock up on cheap batteries from Aliexpress for when you forget to turn it off, or the button gets bumped when the helmet is stored.

The internal speaker of the TPX is near useless at speeds above walking pace. The flash mounted thing is only good if you can get it right up into your field of vision - difficult on a naked bike given little or no screen and an upright position. Might be OK on sports or touring bikes where the top of the screen is closer to where you're looking most.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

QUESTION:
    slow down rossi.

also, why do you stop??

Bike
    Ktm sd gt
    Yip you'll need an ear piece.

Had mine a month or so and saved me a couple of times already, and helps me concentrate on the road rather than trying to spot cops hiding in bushes

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

QUESTION:

I would not be without the in-helmet speaker. The unit itself you would not hear at any speed above about 50k. Having said that, you don't always hear the in helmet earphone either, especially if you use ear plugs like I do. Which is why I also have the LED mounted up. Between the two of them you have a chance of being alerted in time.

Nothing can make up for a pair of alert eyes though. A detector is an aid, and is not infallible.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Nothing can make up for a pair of alert eyes though. A detector is an aid, and is not infallible.
    Thanks for the info Guys. After my V1 got nicked I felt a careful set of eyes was enough and that's worked for some years. But I've been caught out twice now by cops hiding amongst a line of oncoming cars, too hard to spot until too late.
    I'll see how well the lights work first.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Thanks for the info Guys. After my V1 got nicked I felt a careful set of eyes was enough and that's worked for some years. But I've been caught out twice now by cops hiding amongst a line of oncoming cars, too hard to spot until too late.
    I'll see how well the lights work first.
    The lights don't work we well on my gixxer as they did on an SV. Mainly because it is harder to mount the light where it is in the line of sight on the gixxer. Careful placement, if possible, helps a lot.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Thread Information