Thread: travel in south island

Bike
    2005 BMW f650gs Dakar

travel in south island

Hi guys,
    sorry if I m posting in the wrong forum, please let me know if I should post it some where else.

So I would like to ask youre advice about my plans, I came to New Zealand as a backpacker a few months ago and traveled around with a campervan but after few months I know that I need a motorbike even if that will be less comfortable I can't be without a motorbike for so long.
    I did my driving test and now I have my learner driving license.
    Now I need to buy a motorbike and the best option that I thought about from the LAMS approved motorbike is the BMW f650gs, I would really like to know what you guys think about it? and if you think any other motorbikes would be more sutable for me.
    The main purpose of the bike will be traveling around the south island by road but i would like to drive off road as much as possible.
    I looked online for some general advice and a travel route(map) and didn't find any so if you can help me with that it will be really helpful.
    One last thing is finding travel mates for parts of the trip or all of it, do any of you have any idea where I should look for mates?

thanks a lot and have a nice weekend, Itamar

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by itamar View Post
    do any of you have any idea where I should look for mates?
    grinder.com

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    grinder.com
    seems it worked for you

Bike
    Katana GS650 1983
    YOU ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!! ENJOY LIFE WHILE YOU HAVE IT!!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    seems it worked for you
    still sore I swiped left on you eh. iykwim.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Hi Mate, the BMW 650GS is a nice touring machine, very comfortable, fuel efficient, fine on gravel roads, but very heavy for a 650. If you want to take it more offroad you need to be a big strong guy with good offroad skills. If you are not that guy I would recommend a Suzuki DR650 as they are lighter, cheaper, easier to maintain & common in NZ.

Also check out the FAQ's in the NZ section of ADV for route ideas & NZ riding info.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    2005 BMW f650gs Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Hi Mate, the BMW 650GS is a nice touring machine, very comfortable, fuel efficient, fine on gravel roads, but very heavy for a 650. If you want to take it more offroad you need to be a big strong guy with good offroad skills. If you are not that guy I would recommend a Suzuki DR650 as they are lighter, cheaper, easier to maintain & common in NZ.

Also check out the FAQ's in the NZ section of ADV for route ideas & NZ riding info.

Cheers
    Clint
    Hi clint,
    thanks for the advise,
    I use to ride the KLX650 witch is also not that light, do you think the BMW would be harder to handle on off road?

cheers
    Itamar

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Hi clint,
    thanks for the advise,
    I use to ride the KLX650 witch is also not that light, do you think the BMW would be harder to handle on off road?

cheers
    Itamar
    Definitely. The BMW weighs 50kg+ more than a KLX650, has more breakable plastic & more basic suspension. Plus if we are talking about the basic F650GS (not the Dakar/Sertao version) then you have a 19" front wheel vs the proper dirt size 21" of the KLX650. The KLX650 would be among the most offroad focused 650cc bikes ever made, whereas the F650GS is one of the most road oriented 650cc Adv bikes.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Definitely. The BMW weighs 50kg+ more than a KLX650, has more breakable plastic & more basic suspension. Plus if we are talking about the basic F650GS (not the Dakar/Sertao version) then you have a 19" front wheel vs the proper dirt size 21" of the KLX650. The KLX650 would be among the most offroad focused 650cc bikes ever made, whereas the F650GS is one of the most road oriented 650cc Adv bikes.

Cheers
    Clint
    My thoughts exactly. I'd take the KLX650 if given the choice of those two (BMW vs KLX) or a KLR650 (what I thought you were refering to originally), otherwise DR650 set up with ADV mods. hand guards, big tank, bash plate little screen and an airhawk pillow
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Finding people to ride with.... used to be here on Kiwibiker was the place to be, now sadly I would suggest Face Book.... www.facebook.com/groups/AdventureRidinginNZ
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Have demoed the F650 GS and found it a bit gutless but I am used to more powerful bikes. I would recomend you try the Suzuki 650 VStrom adventure bike which happens to be a popular bike that tour companies hire out in NZ. The Suzuki DR and Kawasaki 650 recommended by the others are quite tall bikes to sit on which may be an issue. .
    Really? The V-Strom 650 is probably the only 650cc adv machine that is heavier & more road biased than an F650, great for some no doubt but remember the OP stated: "i would like to drive off road as much as possible"

I would not call a DR650 'quite tall' in it's class. They are much lower than a KLX650 & can be lowered further with basic tools. Being relatively narrow makes it easier to get a foot down too.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    I looked online for some general advice and a travel route(map) and didn't find any so if you can help me with that it will be really helpful.
    Hi Itamar

You may like to have a look at the Mototokens. I am getting an increasing number of emails from adventure riders saying how they are an excellent tool for planning a trip around the South Island and including all the must-see attractions. The Mototokens are free to use, plus you can partake in the social side of Mototoken claiming. It's good fun!

You can check them out here: http://www.remotemoto.com/mototokens/

Best of luck Itamar

Josh
    Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The DR has a very uncomfortable seat too. As we dont know how tall poster 1 is, the DR or KL could possibly be too tall for them for all you know. The BMW is not so tall from memory. With long distance touring I feel the VStrom would be the most comfortable.
    Do you understand the differences between a KLX650 and a KLR650?

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    I'd choose a KLR over a GS because they are more user friendly especially on gravel. The GS is heavy, underpowered, undersprung, less reliable and generally more expensive to buy and maintain than the Kwaka. I'd prefer a well setup DR650 over both but they need lots of add-ons to make them distance friendly whereas the KLR is pretty solid right off the bat....and there's loads to choose from.
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    F800GS
    I just spent a bit of time with Itamar over the weekend. He can handle the Dakar pretty well, even though its over loaded and under powered.
    If you see him round say g'day and point him to the gnarliest tracks you can find, he prefers "off road"

Thread Information