Thread: fuel tank liner POR15 tech advice needed!!

Bike
    1974 kawasaki h1

fuel tank liner POR15 tech advice needed!!

I have had a tank lined with por 15 about 2 years ago which has done its job so far.I now have minor leaks at the bottom welded seam.I could have them welded up but would probably lift the liner.Can I apply another coat of por onto the previous coating??I realise the rust is in between the welded seams and may come back to bite me but apart from cutting out the bottom of the tank and rewelding I was hoping recoating would do for a few years.So has anyone out there applied por on top of previous por coating??

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    just stab some holes in it with a No.2 philips

Yes, done it before, one years ago and still good, another just recently.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Solder it.

Use a rotary wire brush to clean the shit out of the seam, then sweat some solder into it..

Habitually put a bit of 2T oil in the tank, & leave the tank full between rides - to help prevent rust forming..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by guy.w View Post
    I have had a tank lined with por 15 about 2 years ago which has done its job so far.I now have minor leaks at the bottom welded seam.I could have them welded up but would probably lift the liner.Can I apply another coat of por onto the previous coating??I realise the rust is in between the welded seams and may come back to bite me but apart from cutting out the bottom of the tank and rewelding I was hoping recoating would do for a few years.So has anyone out there applied por on top of previous por coating??
    how are you expecting the new por15 to key into the existing stuff?, if it's failed, it'll just fail again, bite the bullet, remove the old por15 and get the tank repaired proper like.

Bike
    1974 kawasaki h1

Question

thanks all for info
    question to moto;applying por on top of por,just clean out tank,make sure its dry and apply por??as pointed out by jellyw will it stick,does it need a key process??
    ideally a new tank would be the order of the day but you try finding 1 for an lc,and no I wouldn't buy that shit from india!!second hand tanks in good nick are rare,mine was dipped and stripped and pressure tested and deemed good to go originally
    alternatively I could cut out the bottom seam completely and reweld in new but looking at other options before getting drastic.
    when leak first appeared I had it pressure tested which showed no leak,was advised to put in anti freeze which in a couple of days did show up leak,i learnt something then
    next question:how the hell do you remove por ???

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Try MEK - it's nasty shit though. Problem will be getting all the old liner out chemicals might soften and dissolve it but you probably still need to scrape it off - without cutting off the bottom of the tank. I know cutting the tank means repainting and job creep but sometimes it's better to bite the bullet- it might be preferable than waiting for the rust to get worse.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by guy.w View Post
    no I wouldn't buy that shit from india!!
    next question:how the hell do you remove por ???
    and exactly what is wrong with the tanks from india? we have lost a lot of trades abilities here as it's not economical to repair, whereas maybe it's the opposite over there, there time is very cheap, and they can't afford genuine yamaha prices so have the skills to copy them. not all tradesmen have the same ability, providing the steel they have used is of a good thickness and the shape is ok one of them may be ten times betterer than your fucked old one that's just getting worse....
    i'd take a gamble, what's the worse that can happen compared with yours?

why ask here about the por removal, por will tell you the antidote and how to do it, it's not dead easyu, i've done it before, certainally better than throwing more of the shit in there.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    and exactly what is wrong with the tanks from india? we have lost a lot of trades abilities here as it's not economical to repair, whereas maybe it's the opposite over there, there time is very cheap, and they can't afford genuine yamaha prices so have the skills to copy them. not all tradesmen have the same ability, providing the steel they have used is of a good thickness and the shape is ok one of them may be ten times betterer than your fucked old one that's just getting worse....
    i'd take a gamble, what's the worse that can happen compared with yours?

why ask here about the por removal, por will tell you the antidote and how to do it, it's not dead easyu, i've done it before, certainally better than throwing more of the shit in there.
    I once opened up a genuine Japanese Honda fuel tank for some serious remedial work. Inside, you could clearly make out a surface irregularity in the shape of the word ESSO. Exactly the same word found painted on a large number of the world's 44 gallon drums.

Also, I hear rumors that teh Post Office is sending container loads of CT110's to China for repair. Sounds unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past them.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post

Also, I hear rumors that teh Post Office is sending container loads of CT110's to China for repair. Sounds unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past them.
    unlikely indeed. they're more likely to bring container loads of chineses over here...

Thread Information