Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bus lanes

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Well now you see there is no consensus. No authority can make up it's mind either. However, I don't believe council can pass any local laws in contradiction to NZ law, except council also has permission to set bylaws (so things like alcohol free areas spring to mind).

Motorway bus lanes are a totally different beast to everything else and while some cops seem to have said that yes, you can use those, I don't think you legally can (some areas are simply the hard shoulder). Then again, it's like anything, if a cop thinks you've broken the law they can fine you, even if they're wrong. Then you have to defend it and prove them wrong. Of course, all this takes up your time, you have to take time off work blah blah blah oh look, I have better things to do than be the test case. Likely you'll go up against a Justice of the Peace (or two) which I have no respect for, you'd likely lose and have to take it to district court to get it overturned (JPs take the police side the vast majority of the time even against evidence).

Basically, for those "bus only may proceed from left lane" I wouldn't be using them. Not from a legal perspective, but from a safety one. Cars will not be expecting a motorcycle there, you're not the size of a bus (cars don't see trains OK?) so why you'd increase the risk I don't know... The specific ones like Gossamer are not bus lanes, so bus lane law may not apply (I haven't read the legislation). Ti Rakau/Springs and Ti Rakau/Pakuranga Rd are a bus lanes, controlled with additional light etc.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what an authority website says. If legislation allows it, then the authority doesn't have a leg to stand on if it says something contradictory. Again, you get to argue that (and lawyers get paid a lot of money to argue these very points, intent, purpose etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Another View

There's an elephant in the room.

It's been an interesting discussion so far, but so far we have avoided the big challenge.

Two to three times each week in Christchurch a car turns right through a line of vehicles and cleans up a bicycle or motorcycle coming down the outside of those stationary vehicles.

The driver of the turning car is unlikely to be expecting a bike to come down the outside, much less looking for one to do it. When he turns he is more focused on his own mission of turning.

Whether the rider is riding legally or illegally in a cycle lane, bus lane, hard shoulder, parking area, clearway, wherever, the car driver is likely to SMIDSY them.

When the rider (cyclist or motorcyclist) is lying in the back of an ambulance with a broken arm, broken leg and ruptured spleen, the discussion of whether the lane was legally used or not is fairly academic. On the up side, you'll have plenty of time on your hands to research your crash. In hospital.

Each of us has a mindset that it won't happen to us. But each week, it happens, on average, to two or three riders. It happens. I don't expect it'll be much different elsewhere.

When transiting down that left hand side, pay particular attention at junctions (driveways too), and look for gaps in the line of cars.

The left hand side of a line of vehicles, legally or illegally, is a minefield.

Donuts.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by hokckeyholic View Post
    The bit about those r would specific intersections
    Google maps and streetview...

Pakuranga Rd streetview clearly shows that it is a left turn only lane... ignore the sign because you are not a bus.

Ti Rakau Drive shows the bus lane marked and the B light to the left of the traffic light...

As Gremlin says, if you want to try the Pakuranga Rd one, or any others like that, be prepared to be caught and ticketed, but more likely to be abused and endangered by other vehicles as the drivers are not expecting you to do that and are focused on the "traffic light standing start grandprix".

Also, as Rastuscat and the AT website say - be very aware of other traffic turning across, into, merging, stopping, etc when you are riding in a bus lane and the main traffic flow is either stationary or moving very slowly.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Nice easy guide - can't be any clearer than that...

even if it could be argued that the "Bus Only" lane is ride-able as the m/c has not been excluded.
    Last edited by Moi; 30th November 2016 at 12:53. Reason: Must do better with proof reading skills...

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    There's an elephant in the room.

It's been an interesting discussion so far, but so far we have avoided the big challenge.

Two to three times each week in Christchurch a car turns right through a line of vehicles and cleans up a bicycle or motorcycle coming down the outside of those stationary vehicles.

The left hand side of a line of vehicles, legally or illegally, is a minefield.

Donuts.

Passing on the left is called under taking for more then 1 reason....
    Growing old takes more then good luck alone. ...
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Passing on the left is called under taking for more then 1 reason....
    Growing old takes more then good luck alone. ...
    Under taking is passing on the left sharing the same lane.

Personally I wont filter unless its stationary traffic at lights. To much risk involved and im not riding the bike to work so not on any time schedule when im on the bike.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information