Thread: A Dutchie's three month tour througout New Zealand

Bike
    1988 Honda Magna VF750C

A Dutchie's three month tour throughout New Zealand

Fellow bikers,

I have already read some threads but I thought making one of my own wouldn't hurt.
    I am a 25 year old Dutchman that will arrive in Auckland, NZ on December 11th.
    My plan is to do a 3 month tour throughout both the north and south islands.
    Obviously I want to to this by motorcycle since it ought to be one of the most beautiful countries to ride in.
    I have looked at various rental companies but they all charge way too much to do a 3 month trip so my initial plan is to buy one (or is there a better way?).
    My steed of choice would be a cruiser-type, like Honda Magna vf750c, Honda Shadow 750, Suzuki Intruder or Kawasaki Vulcan. I don't really care if it older or looks a bit run down as long as it runs without problems for 3 months, since I am no mechanic!!
    My max. budget would be around $4.500

- Many people suggest trademe.co.nz, can these listings be trusted, or do I need to look for some things in specific?
    - Does any of you know dealers that sell second- or third-hand bikes in my category in the Auckland region? Or perhaps anyone has an acquaintances that has one of these listed?
    - Any tips/tricks for my three month backpack tour or suggestions for roads/routes are welcome!

Thank you for your help!
    Alex

Bike
    CB1300
    I wouldn't put too much stock in a trade me ad.
    Get the bike looked over, a genuine seller won't mind an inspection by a mechanic.
    Even. If they assure you it was just serviced do a service after the first thousand, you don't know how long it has sat.

Get something with luggage, or at least a rack. Most things can be had here but take a long time to organise compared to stories of other countries.

Be prepared for sudden weather changes. It rains often, but rarely for long.

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side...
    Damn song stuck in my head.
    I assume Holland is the same but don't forget to keep left and keep posting updates so we can all live vicariously.
    Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Ps bump the thread in about 6 hours, ideally with some pictures of bikes, places or something interesting... Most of us are asleep.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Ps bump the thread in about 6 hours, ideally with some pictures of bikes, places or something interesting... Most of us are asleep.
    sleep is for pussies. real winners smoke crack.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post

Be prepared for sudden weather changes. It rains often, but *rarely for long*. .
    never been to the long island, huh?

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never been to the long island, huh?
    Astute observation...

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    1988 Honda Magna VF750C
    Anyone else that can help me out?
    Especially about dealers etc. would be a big help!

My current bike:

Bike
    searching for bike
    Been on NZ for six months now, and what I can tell you about buying a motorcycle is that you need to wait for the rightone. Lot of hem just camping on trademe waiting for a deer to come.
    Good bike for right amount of money goes away really fast.
    Even smaller bikes keep prices up because learners and restricted drivers.
    Wish you happy hunting

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    Hey dutchie there are plenty of usable bikes in that price range. Keep you mind open as to what though, small place means small market and its best just to get the best bike there at the time that can do the job. Lots of Japanese standards around some of which might gene have some luggage on board, cruisers less likely to have panniers.
    Look for good clean bike with history and records, an owner who seems to care and is happy to discuss with you etc,. I sold a cheapie to a Pom Como g over n bases that it sits in my gag are untill he gets here and if it's not as I said he'd walk away and be mighty pissed off. Virtual handshake based on lots of emails.
    It was an old scruffy BMW boxer with luggage. Something worth you looking at maybe? They retain value and can be sold again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1207657281.htm

Re cruisers, expect very very different riding conditions and roads here, maybe something better geared to touring NZ ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
    1988 Honda Magna VF750C
    Thanks for your reply Tamarillo.
    Just a few more days.. I will look it up when I am in NZ.
    Guess I have to get a bit lucky to find a good one in the 1,5/2 weeks I am in Auckland.
    Don't want to wait any longer.

Cheers!

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    If you're going to spend 3 months here on a bike, you'd be missing out on a lot of great gravel roads if you buy a cruiser.
    You'd be better off getting an "adventure" bike that can ride gravel roads and even 4 wheel drive tracks. Many of these bikes will come with second hand with panniers, etc.

Thread Information