Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: L plate/beginer/slow pace/no pressure meet up and chat

Bike
    S1000RR
    Great idea. I would support it if I was in Auckland.

I used to organise a few 250s rides every now and then... Good times!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Oh come now Akzle, you know you want some free candy......
    You better cut out the offers of candy, you're starting to sound like Husa!

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    We had just the one incident when doing our learner rides, said ride had read/heard some where that slalom riding bullshit to warm your tyres while trailing the front brake was a good idea = wrong. 200 mts after lunch his bike was on it's side in the middle of the road. He taught himself a lesson that day. You attended one or two of our rides?

I fully support Pounds idea.
    Doing a slalom weave on the road isn't a very effective way to warm tires, and front brake trail braking while doing it doesn't sound like a good combo. One way is to accelerate hard and brake hard (with no traffic behind you).

Anyway, nice laxed rides can be good for the n00bs to get some group riding experience. Just make sure they know to watch out for each other and watch their following distances.

Those RJ's mango and white chocolate logs are delish.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Doing a slalom weave on the road won't warm tires, and trail braking will just warm his brakes for no reason. One way is to accelerate hard and brake hard (with no traffic behind you).
    Really? Oh I didn't know. Thanks for the tip.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Essentially it's about making the carcass of the tyre flex. Flex = friction in rubber = heat in tyres. Sport touring tyres with more grooves means the tread region has more ability to flex/move (to a point obviously, as too much heat = wear), a slick has no grooves hence using tyre warmers.

Re the ride, I ran a few learner rides, ran groups of 6, experienced leader, 4 newbies, experienced tail to observe the newbies. You definitely don't want a higher ratio than that. Other riders along for the ride were told to stay at the back or go out front, don't mess with the groups or don't bother being on the ride (in so far as you can with public roads).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Doing a slalom weave on the road isn't a very effective way to warm tires, and front brake trail braking while doing it doesn't sound like a good combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Essentially it's about making the carcass of the tyre flex. Flex = friction in rubber = heat in tyres. Sport touring tyres with more grooves means the tread region has more ability to flex/move (to a point obviously, as too much heat = wear), a slick has no grooves hence using tyre warmers.
    Damn I think my sarcasm-meter was set too high. I'll lower it for next time.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    So you won't be joining the L Plate/beginner/Slow pace meet up?

Bike
    S1000RR
    So you won't be joining the L Plate/beginner/Slow pace meet up?
    That I would if I could (honestly). Back in the days I used to participate WNR (now they call it NASS) and met lots of good people and couple of idiots. So yes, I very much support the idea of learners ride. Just sayin I'm not a nay sayer, its all.

Bike
    A
    Nope, some of us got it...

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Admire your intent, never mind the haters.

Hey thanks caspernz

Even if this doesn't eventuate to much, it's good to open a discussion about it all the same.

To be honest, I couldn't organize a good booze up in a brewery!

I mainly started this thread to see if there were any like minded individuals, and if there was enough interest, I was going to hand the reigns over to somebody responsible with good organizational skills to arrange a very casual meet up/ride for the learners/ L platers/ non confident/ or those who just want a slower paced ride.

And of course, I would be there to dispense the said complementary free drinks and sweets/snacks

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I think the term EJ is....WOOOOOOOOSH!

Bike
    2019 Ninja
    As per the intital post haha, I could be keen. My vote for starting is South Auckland....... No particular reason and mid morning (gotta sleep in right)
    I think I fit into all categories, learner, slow, lack confidence and wanting to discuss (maybe they are linked duh). *Checking something* But not a lady. 3 out of 4 aint bad.

Ok maybe its because the offer of free candies was so enticing.... Are they located in a van by anychance?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Yes I do remember that one. Guy on a blue GSX250. Good lunch though at the pub
    I recall that the young chap had been riding for only four months at the time and had dropped his bike four times, he also didn't know the way back to West Auckland from Kaukapakapa. We rode with him to Helensville... all of 12 kms where he needed a rest, I suppose he was a bit stunned by what had happens back at Kaukapakapa.

Bike
    2007 kawasaki gpx250
    I'm keen on this idea

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Hey thanks caspernz

Even if this doesn't eventuate to much, it's good to open a discussion about it all the same.

To be honest, I couldn't organize a good booze up in a brewery!

I mainly started this thread to see if there were any like minded individuals, and if there was enough interest, I was going to hand the reigns over to somebody responsible with good organizational skills to arrange a very casual meet up/ride for the learners/ L platers/ non confident/ or those who just want a slower paced ride.

And of course, I would be there to dispense the said complementary free drinks and sweets/snacks
    Its a hard slog running a weekly ride, maybe make it a once a month thing. Make sure who you get advice from knows what they are talking about, not just somebody that got a bike licence 20 years ago.

Think about risk and where you ride. L platers can struggle to keep a safe speed on the open road so other road users become frustrated and do stupid things. A slower pace ride can be a lot more dangerous than a pace ride. Take lots of breaks so the riders dont get overwhelmed.

Thread Information