Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: L plate/beginer/slow pace/no pressure meet up and chat

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I'm not in favour of group learner rides, lot of peer pressure and the ride leader can't keep an eye on all of the participants.

I do like the idea of a group get together to chew the fat, pass on experiences. So do PM me Pound with lots of warning if this gets off the ground, I'd be keen on either West Gate or Albany (Albany better).

If a learner rider is going for a ride with another rider to improve their confidence then I think one on one is better.

While I've only been riding 8 years I've probably done at least 10,000 km per year, I'm a careful cruiser and have some adult training qualifications * However I don't think I yet meet the requirements for being a mentor, yet I'd like to put something back into an activity I do enjoy.

* When I told some teacher friends that I used questioning techniques in my adult training sessions they said, in a superior tone, "Oh, you mean the Aristotle method of teaching?"

Bike
    Its a Boat
    ''I'm not in favour of group learner rides, lot of peer pressure and the ride leader can't keep an eye on all of the participants''.
    Which is why properly run learner ride have both a RIC and a TEC..and a good mixture of experienced riders.

Group learner rides are easy when it has structure. On our larger group rides, we used to have no more than eight in a group and that included the TEC/RIC.
    They were never about mentoring.

Keeping instructions to a minimum is advised, to much information and they just don't hear what you're saying.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post

If a learner rider is going for a ride with another rider to improve their confidence then I think one on one is better.
    Yerp 100% with you on that one.

Bike
    Between Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Yerp 100% with you on that one.
    Yawn........

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FatMax View Post
    Yawn........
    You still here old fella? I thought you'd moved on from here?
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Between Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    You still here old fella? I thought you'd moved on from here?
    Nah mate always look in from time to time and see who is talking the most bollocks, see its the same old suspects

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    I'm not in favour of group learner rides, lot of peer pressure and the ride leader can't keep an eye on all of the participants.

I do like the idea of a group get together to chew the fat, pass on experiences. So do PM me Pound with lots of warning if this gets off the ground, I'd be keen on either West Gate or Albany (Albany better).

While I've only been riding 8 years I've probably done at least 10,000 km per year, I'm a careful cruiser and have some adult training qualifications * However I don't think I yet meet the requirements for being a mentor, yet I'd like to put something back into an activity I do enjoy.

* When I told some teacher friends that I used questioning techniques in my adult training sessions they said, in a superior tone, "Oh, you mean the Aristotle method of teaching?"
    Group rides encourage people to ride outside their capabilities and there is pressure to keep up with other riders that causes accidents. I thought everyone knew that...

Bike
    Well, I'm without a bike at the moment but would be happy to drive somewhere to have a chat - I've got a lot of recent experience in what happens when a taxi pulls across in front of you and Katman has passed on lots of 'constructive' comments about how I could have avoided the accident.

Also, a monthly get together like this would be a great way to meet other KBers.

I would suggest Albany, just closer for me, and instead of the Farmers Home Store carpark why not the Maccas around the corner? At least you could get a cuppa and sit down.

What about one of the weekends after Xmas, maybe set it for the first Sunday of every month at a certain time. That'd make it Sunday 1st January, 2017 next month.

Come back with time suggestions if interested (anything after 11.00 am for me )

Bike
    No takers? Too early in the year. Maybe see you next month.

Bike

1st Sunday of February, Maccas Albany, no pressure chat

Pound started this idea a couple of months ago, what about a monthly North Shore meeting for a cuppa and a chat, make your way home afterwards via the long way. Swap ideas, experiences and favourite roads and cafes.

Maccas, Albany, 11.00 am Sunday 5th February.

I'm away holidaying until the Saturday and won't be riding with my injured shoulder, but will try to drive the cage up to meet anyone else who turns up.

So, is it worth my while to get out of bed early that morning?

Thread Information