Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting up GSXR750 for track days

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Be sure to upgrade the side stand spring.
    Its a Gixxer, its already Unobtanium.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Thats a tool I dont have, will be picking one up.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Be sure to upgrade the side stand spring.
    This is sound advice, more to do with the k6/7, the spring allows the side stand to bounce over bumps, leading to the interlock switch causing the motor to cut momentarily.......

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Finding tons of info online about em. Seems the odd person has raced this model.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Seems the odd person has raced this model.
    Could possibly be the perfect track bike for you then.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Not a lot until you really find what is a problem.

Do some basic stuff:
    * hoseclamp around the spin on oil filter and wire to something.
    * suspension you have under control
    * tank grip is awesome
    * make EVERYTHING work as well as it could. Lube cables, suspension links etc, good pads, steering head bearings etc.

* Tyres. match your tyres to your skill set. Most track day riders DON'T need slicks. Great for the ego, but if you can't keep them at a temp that makes them work properly, more than your ego will take a dent. I did LOTS of miles on Q2 Dunlops at track days - never an issue for grip, lasted well. There are lots of options, between tour and race that work well, but be truthful to yourself!

Don't suffer magpie disease (Be attracted to shiny shit). Well ridden, well set up stock stuff is better than every bit of badly set up and badly ridden shiny shit!

Goodish riding gear that fits well....the difference can be amazing. Flashy paint jobs on helmets can be cool, but plain colours are cheaper....for the same helmet.

Spend money on your head (ie learning) and don't just continue to make the same mistakes by just doing the same thing more or fasterer, if it is wrong.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    This is really solid advice.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post

Do some basic stuff:
    * hoseclamp around the spin on oil filter and wire to something.
    * suspension you have under control
    * tank grip is awesome
    * make EVERYTHING work as well as it could. Lube cables, suspension links etc, good pads, steering head bearings etc.

* Tyres. match your tyres to your skill set. Most track day riders DON'T need slicks. Great for the ego, but if you can't keep them at a temp that makes them work properly, more than your ego will take a dent. I did LOTS of miles on Q2 Dunlops at track days - never an issue for grip, lasted well. There are lots of options, between tour and race that work well, but be truthful to yourself!

Don't suffer magpie disease (Be attracted to shiny shit). Well ridden, well set up stock stuff is better than every bit of badly set up and badly ridden shiny shit!

Goodish riding gear that fits well....the difference can be amazing. Flashy paint jobs on helmets can be cool, but plain colours are cheaper....for the same helmet.

Spend money on your head (ie learning) and don't just continue to make the same mistakes by just doing the same thing more or fasterer, if it is wrong.
    Cheers, stuff Im getting is crash protection and quickshift. Im leaving the stock exhaust on etc. more power wont be needed to start with.

I have leathers that seem to work for me as in I dont notice them when on track. Also have a decent helmet for track thats not the best colour in the world but figured when I go for a slide an amazing graphic is the least of my problems.

The bike is coming with new PP3s which will do for a start.

Suspension looks to be ok spring rates for starting but just happen to have 2 rates up in springs in the shed and found a guy selling 1 rate up in fork springs cheap on TM so grabbed them. But for the first time out will ride it stock set up the best I can and just learn the bike.

I will be doing the ART days but will probably do superbike school.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I will be doing the ART days but will probably do superbike school.
    Awesome, good plan.

ART days are a good start point (I help out there), but I'm a big fan of the superbike school. While CSS does cost, there is a lot more detail and structure - have done all 4 levels.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Awesome, good plan.

ART days are a good start point (I help out there), but I'm a big fan of the superbike school. While CSS does cost, there is a lot more detail and structure - have done all 4 levels.
    Oh, I thought super bike school was CSS. lol. Better check that before I book.

Last ART I did was almost 2 years ago. Was one of the faster in G2. So will stay back in G2 until my speed comes back. Had some trouble with getting dizzy under braking but think I can work through that now. I just wont use the brakes. ......

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    This.

Basically you need to get out and ride the thing to see how it suits you. Might be worth setting the static sag on it considering the bike has the adjustment to do so already.

Some cheap race fairings would be a go too as the whole world cries when a beautiful gixxer gets scuffed (did it myself to an immaculate K5).

Braided brake lines are the tits, I hate that squishy feel but some riders don't mind it.

Other shit to consider is what to bring to the track WITH you:
    A good tyre pressure gauge
    Tyre pump
    Some tools to remove the side stand
    Paddock stand (if you have one)
    Race tape to tape over the headlight and speedo
    Spare helmet, just in case... Try not to need it though.
    Banter, for in the pits have your banter on form as you will be talking a lot of shit between sessions.

Bike
    Awesome, good plan.

Superbike school = CSS!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    This.

A good tyre pressure gauge

Banter, for in the pits have your banter on form as you will be talking a lot of shit between sessions.
    Autech. yep, them too, good pick up. I tend to forget as they just go along for the rider every time I go to the circuit.

Banter may be the most important of all...always bring your A game.....and recall that one time you pass someone. Never mind they have ridden around you all day....!

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Banter may be the most important of all...always bring your A game.....and recall that one time you pass someone. Never mind they have ridden around you all day....!
    We recently did a car/bike day down here where the bikes had a massive break between races. Basically was a full 2 days talking shit with some racing (crashing on my part) thrown in between to break up the day. Much banter.
    Something has struck me though at race meets is that the bikers seem to be a lot more social than the car racers. Did a joint track day once and the guys on the cars looked like someone had died after every session (no wide grin) where as the bikers were giggling like school children.

Not sure if this is the case everywhere though, anyone done both types of racing care to comment?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Starting to get a handle on the thing. Lots of little things needed adjusting but rode it to and from work today and heaps better. Just set sags and set the adjusters to the factory settings. They were all over the place. Fork ones were different side to side. Think Im going to need a gripper seat cover.

Was a bit meh about its power as my gsx1250 would blitz it at lower speeds. But a wee blat today with a throttle that doesnt need half a turn to work showed its got some go.Will disable the O2 and SET valve tomorrow then go for a pootle to try to learn going round corners on it.

Thread Information