Thread: What's considered legal and what's not?

Bike
    2008 C50T Boulevard

What's considered legal and what's not?

So I've recently picked up a '08 C50T Boulevard and looking to change exhausts for something louder. Been looking and quite like the Morton Violators for both style and sound. My question is: After reading a few posts has anyone ever fitted these and can anyone tell me if they violate (pun not intended, well maybe) nz's noise restrictions?

So far I've looked at HK's, Cobra, V&H, Highway Hawkes, Violators.

Cheers.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Fuck it. Just install the noise makers. It's a C50, you won't be revving its tits off everywhere

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Max legal for motorcycles is 100db at the correct testing method. Your bike will have a sticker on the frame or stamped on the pipes as to the stock reading.

Wanker loud is a problem, meaty tends to be fine. A lot depends on how YOU are riding it - noise control is on the right handlebar.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ve...y-vehicle.html

Bike
    So old you won't care
    As a matter of priciple - I just couldnt fit an exhaust called a violator.... Its just wrong...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    just stab some holes in it with a No.2 philips

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Max legal for motorcycles is 100db at the correct testing method. Your bike will have a sticker on the frame or stamped on the pipes as to the stock reading.

Wanker loud is a problem, meaty tends to be fine. A lot depends on how YOU are riding it - noise control is on the right handlebar.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ve...y-vehicle.html
    That ^ and getting ther next WOF at your local bike shop instead of taking your chances at VTNZ.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I have four 12 mm holes drilled ina cross in the end plate of each muffler of my M50, the previous owner did it. It makes the sound deeper and being a cruiser the revs aren't that high. There's a HD with modified pipes goes passed our house and I swear my wife is going to throw a brick at him one day, but she doesn't mind the sound of my bike.

I haven't had trouble getting WOFs, at Browns Bay VTNZ I get asked to ride it through the test and do the braking down the side of the building myself.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    What?

Did you say something?

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    I have four 12 mm holes drilled ina cross in the end plate of each muffler of my M50, the previous owner did it. It makes the sound deeper and being a cruiser the revs aren't that high. There's a HD with modified pipes goes passed our house and I swear my wife is going to throw a brick at him one day, but she doesn't mind the sound of my bike.

I haven't had trouble getting WOFs, at Browns Bay VTNZ I get asked to ride it through the test and do the braking down the side of the building myself.

Some bikes seem to have a very deep rumble, similar to some stereos Bass which can invade your space from a distance (ie home) without appearing to be overly loud when you get a bit closer to the source.

Thread Information