Thread: GSXR750 rear sprocket carrier info? 2004 ish

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

GSXR750 rear sprocket carrier info? 2004 ish

Hi there, if anyone has one in bits or has the specs, I am after the overall length of the sprocket carrier retainer, that is the stepped bushing that goes between the sprocket carrier bearing and wheel bearing and seats into the wheel bearing seal. Mine is 33.5mm but seems a bit short for the job. Mine had been installed totally wrong, ie, the retainer was on the outside of the carrier instead of inside and the outer bearing seal spacer was put under the carrier where it was effectively doing nothing? Fucking weird!
    The part no is relevant for a few years after that and is the same for all gsxr1000 s as well, thanks.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Some of the gixxer models have a shit load of space in the swingarm and the axle pulls it all up. Like, 3 or 4mm. Is that why you reckon the spacer is too short?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Some of the gixxer models have a shit load of space in the swingarm and the axle pulls it all up. Like, 3 or 4mm. Is that why you reckon the spacer is too short?
    No the space seems to be between the inner spacer and wheel bearing. It was assembled out of order when I bought it and so the assembly was not even tight! As in, it should be a metal to metal contact all the way along the axle but there must have been a 3 mm space in there. It still rode ok so fucked if I know how it got left like that.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Right so all sorted now, after putting the spacers on the correct sides, the sprocket carrier retainer spacer was binding on the bearing oil seal, which although the kit supplies you two, you only fit the disc brake side! My mistake.
    So Drew, is it good practice to shim out the play in the axle so you don't have to wind in the swingarm so much? Seems to me that cast aluminium hates being placed under tension if avoidable?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Right so all sorted now, after putting the spacers on the correct sides, the sprocket carrier retainer spacer was binding on the bearing oil seal, which although the kit supplies you two, you only fit the disc brake side! My mistake.
    So Drew, is it good practice to shim out the play in the axle so you don't have to wind in the swingarm so much? Seems to me that cast aluminium hates being placed under tension if avoidable?
    Nope, just run it as is. Makes life easy for changing wheels in all.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    We can start a Gixxer lyfe club and ride with no gear.

Well for 30 mins then i will need to stop to stretch my back.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Nope, just run it as is. Makes life easy for changing wheels in all.
    Thanks, Yeah they are not the easiest to do anyway, well compard to my other bikes lately!
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    We can start a Gixxer lyfe club and ride with no gear.

Well for 30 mins then i will need to stop to stretch my back.
    You ride naked?
    I had Tourin bars on already when I bought, I fitted them for my neighbour and then ended up buying it off him. To be honest it is only comfortable above 90 kmh IMO.

Thread Information