Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Textile jackets with removable panels for summer riding

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I've worn BMW suits for some years.

Best venting suit I have is an Airflow 2. As much warmth as Margaret Thatcher.

I have 4 different suits, and what I wear depends on the variety of weather apps I use.

Love the suits. But the weakness is the zips and zip pulls. Bloody hopeless.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Like any brand, it depends on the model within the brand (yeah, it shouldn't, but it does). The cheap stuff in any brand is not worth looking at (unless the brand only makes expensive stuff, in which case their "cheap" isn't).

I've been using Revit for years, probably since 2008 ish (or perhaps earlier). 2 pairs of pants (Proton and Sand), 3 jackets (Expedition, Off Track, Defender GTX). I loved the Off Track jacket, that did have the removable side panels, tough material, took a couple of hard hits and is still good (not waterproof). I didn't bother using the rain liner for that purpose (mainly colder weather) as having the outside wet made the jacket colder and heavier, so instead use a rain jacket over the top (which is also easily replaceable when it wears out).

I tried upgrading my country jacket to the Defender, made of lighter weight fabric and has goretex, but it doesn't vent as well during summer but is brilliant in wet weather. With the lighter thinner fabric it also didn't take hits very well, and putting one elbow into stones and gravel ripped a 3 sided flap on the forearm.

Pros and cons and probably going to stick to their Sand adventure range, not cheap, but has thicker fabric etc. Want to see if there is a Sand 3 soon...
    Which is a fair call, guess I cheaped out on it but the 3 pieces of revit clothing has fallen apart in one way or another. My track gloves are fine though.

Then again, Goretex....

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Like any brand, it depends on the model within the brand (yeah, it shouldn't, but it does). The cheap stuff in any brand is not worth looking at (unless the brand only makes expensive stuff, in which case their "cheap" isn't).
    I didn't bother using the rain liner for that purpose (mainly colder weather) as having the outside wet made the jacket colder and heavier, so instead use a rain jacket over the top (which is also easily replaceable when it wears out).
    your right about cheap - need to look at the product not just the name.

If you ride a lot (everyday) then the wear and tear on buttons and zips will be higher-so better gear suited to what you plan is best as usual.

Velcro - the finer stuff does not seem to last but when it works is good, but made to be replaced esp around cuffs.

Domes at the neck closure seem to be a problem because of the way I undo it compared to the other domes.

I agree a wet outer jacket doesn't make for a pleasant ride, even with a liner. But if the weather is fickle - showers/sun/shower my gear tends to dry out in the wind reasonably fast as long as it isn't soaked.

I found a rain jacket really helps as long as it can breathe, so it isn't raining on the inside.

I would go with textiles with panels that you can fold down openings or zipped openings in arms and a decent vent at the back, this will let the jacket breathe.
    removeable panels would be a pain, you got to store them and find them again when you need them.
    AKL weather is so changeable its handy just to pop a couple of domes/zips and get the jacket to breathe and then reverse once it becomes chilly again.
    Back protectors and different liners should also be factored into what you are buying, some breathe some don't.
    Not all liners are the same.
    Go and look at whats available if you can, try them on, if there is a wide range to look at, you will see the difference and its better than just web pictures.
    for the long haul get a jacket that allows you to put another layer on underneath, not just a Tee shirt eh Caseye

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Which is a fair call, guess I cheaped out on it but the 3 pieces of revit clothing has fallen apart in one way or another. My track gloves are fine though.

Then again, Goretex....
    you do more riding than most, so some wear and tear is only to be expected.
    they are replaceable items.

Goretex can also make boots into buckets once the water comes over the top.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    you do more riding than most, so some wear and tear is only to be expected.
    they are replaceable items.
    That's also true. When I was clocking up the distance everything starts becoming consumable. Tyres last a few months, helmets/gloves etc wear out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Hey Gremlin.

What have you found to be the best long life gear? My BMW stuff is good, but as I mentioned, the zips and zip pulls are average at best.

I have a couple of 7 year old jackets, with a ton of miles in them. I think that's not bad.

Pants wear out heaps quicker, crotch rot etc.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I'm not doing the k's I used to, now only about 20-30k a year across both bikes. I would say if you're doing a lot (or get paid to do it eh eh) then look for Klim/Rukka and suchlike with a 5+ year warranty (and often the Goretex on the expensive stuff is saying lifetime). Go hard, it fails, you warranty replace. I also have multiple sets of gear, with commuting separate to country etc.

I have a Rukka suit, but it hasn't seen a lot of use as it's middle of winter type gear and I don't use it adventure riding. Got a pile of Revit for that. I think their gear has come along well. The Expedition jacket wasn't great, with pocket stitching ripping etc (which isn't hard use) but then the Off Track took a direct hit in the shoulder and held together with a few weaves pulled and moved around. I've never used BMW gear so can't comment, haven't had zip failure on the Revit.

I was lucky with Revit Sand pants. The liner failed (nice contrast in a thunderstorm with a goretex jacket) but Revit Europe was able to source me another brand new liner for a discontinued item... Pretty awesome I thought and will give more life, but now I'm really tempted to get in early with Sand 3 (normally I wait for closeouts, specials etc).

I want a lot from my gear, breathing well during summer (so effectively mesh type jackets) for adventure riding and tough for the drops etc and then warm and dry in winter. Still think a rain jacket over textile jacket works best, but you get a lot of condensation inside the rain jacket. If I was strictly road riding (like on an RT) I think Goretex jackets would work well, lighter weight etc.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Yes, I'm a specials/closeout fan. I haven't paid retail for anything in years.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    It's hard to get the perfect suit that will last for ever. Had a fantastic run out of BMW Savana 2 suit
    When the plastic zip broke after many years I replaced it with a YKK steal zip. Had to patch the Goretex liner seams up with glue , they don't stay waterproof for life any more.
    Not a great winter suit but with a BMW Kilmakomfort over suit it's great .

Spent up large on a Klim Badlands Pro suit a year or so ago and it's great no more stopping to put liners in ,just pull up the zips . Just layer up with Marino base layer and BMW undersuit in winter. The Klim gear is Bombproof and very well made, leaves the BMW gear way behind.
    If I was wanting a lighter weight suit for riding the RT. I would look at the new Klim Latitude suit.
    Not as Expensive as the Badlands.
    My Winter suit on the RT is BMW Streetguard 3 never lets in any water and don't get cold at all.
    But very disappointing for fading and wear , had no zip problems yet, but the seal on the zip is starting to come away, and this was the warranty replacement for the Streetguard2 that got replaced as well. BMW only has 2 years warranty and they say they don't have warranty on warranty. If You want a suit that lasts for ever go with leather.
    If You did not know I have a gear addiction problem greater than Gremlim's.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i have a technics freeway textile jacket.Has big zips in the foremarms and chest for venting and a zip in the back.Has a thermal liner,the outer is waterproof.have ridden in hard rain ,but not for huge length sof time. didnt leak.Feels bombproof fabric,well made you must try a jacket for size sitting on a bike.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    I have a technics freeway textile jacket.Has big zips in the forearms and chest for venting and a zip in the back.Has a thermal liner,the outer is waterproof.have ridden in hard rain ,but not for huge lengths of time: didn't leak. Feels bombproof fabric, well made you must try a jacket for size sitting on a bike.
    If you particularly like that Teknic's jacket it might be worthwhile keeping an eye on TradeMe because Teknic no longer exist and you might be lucky to pick up one that is old-new-stock. I have their Stinger jacket and am very pleased with it - the Stinger is the next level down from the Freeway model.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    The major reason I Got it was it was the pefect length

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGSER View Post
    It's hard to get the perfect suit that will last for ever. Had a fantastic run out of BMW Savana 2 suit
    When the plastic zip broke after many years I replaced it with a YKK steal zip. Had to patch the Goretex liner seams up with glue , they don't stay waterproof for life any more.
    Not a great winter suit but with a BMW Kilmakomfort over suit it's great .

Spent up large on a Klim Badlands Pro suit a year or so ago and it's great no more stopping to put liners in ,just pull up the zips . Just layer up with Marino base layer and BMW undersuit in winter. The Klim gear is Bombproof and very well made, leaves the BMW gear way behind.
    If I was wanting a lighter weight suit for riding the RT. I would look at the new Klim Latitude suit.
    Not as Expensive as the Badlands.
    My Winter suit on the RT is BMW Streetguard 3 never lets in any water and don't get cold at all.
    But very disappointing for fading and wear , had no zip problems yet, but the seal on the zip is starting to come away, and this was the warranty replacement for the Streetguard2 that got replaced as well. BMW only has 2 years warranty and they say they don't have warranty on warranty. If You want a suit that lasts for ever go with leather.
    If You did not know I have a gear addiction problem greater than Gremlim's.
    I just might consider a Klim suit in future. Once I wear out all 4 of my current suits.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I just might consider a Klim suit in future. Once I wear out all 4 of my current suits.
    Or just buy it now and have 4 suits to fall back on?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have a BMW touring suit and if it looks like it'll rain that's the first choice. The other jackets are all Spidi: two textile, one leather. Little niggles with the design of both the textile jackets, I'd expect better in that price range. The leather jacket is partly perforated and does the job well.

The bastards all shrunk though.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information