Thread: The Dash- the pure joy of riding

Bike
    Indian Scout

The Dash- the pure joy of riding

Tonight is the eve of my 15th dash. For the first time in, well over 25 years it's not a dash to the bottom of the South Island that these blokes do. This year we're staying put on the somewhat stable North Island. I met these guys nigh on 16 years ago. Heard about their annual rather fast bike tour around the Sth Island. The general ideal was to get as far south as quickly as possible .I've clocked up 14 Dashes with them and a few other awesome rides on south and north islands tours.

Most of us are pushing 50s and 60s now so the group has sadly diminished from about 13 riders when I joined in to, well last year 9. With the earthquake shit down south we decided to skip it and only a few are in this year for a North Island ride instead. Life is just too short to drink the house wine. We must embrace ever moment above ground. Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination.

Today was the first day of summer and I had the day off work - brilliant ideal that was! Bloody awesome day.
    The bike is polished beyond human comprehension. Ready for tomorrow, 5 or 6 days of riding our stunning country.

The whole reason I'm posting this dribble is - I fucking love riding motorcycles. I love it . The Dash. A bunch of guys who hardly see each other during the year, come together on the Picton Ferry and spend 5 days bonding, riding, eating, drinking and then...Well just depart the ferry and go home until next December. It amazes me. It works. I love it.

The lovely Wife and I chatted tonight about out mortality and pushing through our 50s to ..damn it 60s coming up fast. We're both happy that we have lived a full life, no regrets. We have dear friends and relatives that died way too soon. Every day that we have lived beyond their lives is a gift, a bonus, to be thankful for.

What I'm pondering tonight, after a few beersies I will admit, is I feel I was born to ride bikes. We just gel. They may one day kill me. I have accepted that since the day I first fired up my kick start XL100. But for 41 years they have given me so much joy, so much exhilaration, so much excitement, thrills, scares, yes broken bones but always left me fulfilled with life.

I wonder what would have filled the void over the last 41 years if I hadn't discovered the joy of motorcycling?
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    me too .

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    me too .
    So, without a bike you are in the perfect position to answer the question ...

What does fill the void?
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post

What does fill the void?
    Goats, if the banter is correct

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post

What does fill the void?
    alcoholism, coke, and whores.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    alcoholism, coke, and whores.
    Leave your family out of it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by md View Post
    tonight is the eve of my 15th dash. For the first time in, well over 25 years it's not a dash to the bottom of the south island that these blokes do. This year we're staying put on the somewhat stable north island. I met these guys nigh on 16 years ago. Heard about their annual rather fast bike tour around the sth island. The general ideal was to get as far south as quickly as possible .i've clocked up 14 dashes with them and a few other awesome rides on south and north islands tours.

Most of us are pushing 50s and 60s now so the group has sadly diminished from about 13 riders when i joined in to, well last year 9. With the earthquake shit down south we decided to skip it and only a few are in this year for a north island ride instead. Life is just too short to drink the house wine. We must embrace ever moment above ground. Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination.

Today was the first day of summer and i had the day off work - brilliant ideal that was! Bloody awesome day.
    The bike is polished beyond human comprehension. Ready for tomorrow, 5 or 6 days of riding our stunning country.

The whole reason i'm posting this dribble is - i fucking love riding motorcycles. I love it . The dash. A bunch of guys who hardly see each other during the year, come together on the picton ferry and spend 5 days bonding, riding, eating, drinking and then...well just depart the ferry and go home until next december. It amazes me. It works. I love it.

The lovely wife and i chatted tonight about out mortality and pushing through our 50s to ..damn it 60s coming up fast. We're both happy that we have lived a full life, no regrets. We have dear friends and relatives that died way too soon. Every day that we have lived beyond their lives is a gift, a bonus, to be thankful for.

What i'm pondering tonight, after a few beersies i will admit, is i feel i was born to ride bikes. We just gel. They may one day kill me. I have accepted that since the day i first fired up my kick start xl100. But for 41 years they have given me so much joy, so much exhilaration, so much excitement, thrills, scares, yes broken bones but always left me fulfilled with life.

I wonder what would have filled the void over the last 41 years if i hadn't discovered the joy of motorcycling?
    Amen Brother !! A weekend or 2 ago I had this urge to ride to Wellywood so I departed from home at midnight rode there & back arriving home @ 1pm, I did this mainly because I COULD. As you mention, life is worth Living so JUST DO IT
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Sounds like the Latte tour

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Well I'm home and we needed that reminder that the North Island really does have some great bike roads. We based ourselves at one of the Guys Taupo lake house, so no ferry costs this year, no motels. Weather stayed OK. No incidents, so all in all a beaut get-a-away and much cheaper this year.

We did the gentle Annie (Taihape-Napier) with the intention of then heading up to Gisborne and maybe to Coromandel. But after that awesome road. 140odd km of none stop twisties, sweepers and curves. More curves than a Barbie doll convention. It was such a rush we all decided to skip Gizzy and tear back over the Gentle Annie- nothing gentle about that stretch of road. Riding bliss.

We also did the Forgotten Highway. 20-30 minutes of annoying gravel but well worth it. Then up the New Plymouth Coast to Hammytown. That's a beautiful Naki coastline, similar to the upper West Coast.

Yeah, lots of latte stops, well more flat whites really.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161203_104702.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	813.3 KB 
ID:	326629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161203_143652.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	845.0 KB 
ID:	326630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161204_122051.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	805.8 KB 
ID:	326631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161204_130756.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	741.5 KB 
ID:	326632  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information