Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmet mounted cameras

Bike
    2009 Honda CB600 Hornet

Helmet mounted cameras

Hey team

I'm looking at buying a camera for mounting to my helmet whilst riding, and occasionally on the dash board of the car.
    I got a free GoPro styled camera that had terrible resolution even when viewed on a laptop screen, and when mounted to my helmet it provided huge resistance at open road/mway speeds. It wasn't worth the effort so I biffed that one.
    I have been looking at the Contour Roam 3 camera, as it has a much better shape for aerodynamics, also it's about half the price of a GoPro.
    Does anyone own one of these, or do you own anything similar? I'm not looking at editing or doing anything fancy, I guess it is more for insurance purposes whilst commuting etc.

Any suggestions?
    Cheers.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Go for a chest-mounted Go Pro Hero4 silver.

GoPro 1080p/60 will capture a lot of detail and the higher frame rate is good for slow-motion and catching split-second movements. Chest-mounts can work, the obvious benefit is no drag on your head, they're also less conspicuous. Chin-mounts are probably the second choice.

Bike
    Or the camera mounts that put it on/below your chin.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    "Helmet mounted cameras"... are gay as shit. dont be a faggot,

and stop contributing your shit (and everyone elses) to the mass-surveillance overlords.

for fucks sakes. i might swerve my truck at the next motorcyclist i see videoing shit that nobody, but nobody, will ever give a fuck about.

Bike
    2008 BMW K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Go for a chest-mounted Go Pro Hero4 silver.
    I mounted my 5 to my bike and it fell offCurrently looking at putting it somewhere else. FYI the 5 takes a good hammering as mine hit the road at 140 and still works, but with some damage. The hard wasn't available for them at that stage. I have one now and a replacement lens as that got smashed as it slid down the road. The footage is pretty cool as it came off while I was overtaking a couple of cars.

Bike
    1982 Honda CX500
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    "Helmet mounted cameras"... are gay as shit. dont be a faggot,

and stop contributing your shit (and everyone elses) to the mass-surveillance overlords.

for fucks sakes. i might swerve my truck at the next motorcyclist i see videoing shit that nobody, but nobody, will ever give a fuck about.
    Hell I love internet tough guys!

Your probably some 5ft nothing 60kg office worker who rides a vespa and drives a Prius.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
    Hell I love internet tough guys!

Your probably some 5ft nothing 60kg office worker who rides a vespa and drives a Prius.
    You are giving him far too much credit.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2008 BMW K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I tried a chest mount and it was not that good as it just showed the tank and instrument panel mostly in the video. While I have yet to try it a mount on the front guard would look the best and being lower down will give a rollercaster ride look on the hills.
    yeah on the Akaroa GP! I looked at that on my bike, but the shape of my guard doesn't really fit the sticky mounts. Need to be careful not to mount too far back for obvious reasons

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    I've got a couple of GoPros that hardly ever get used. Honestly if you're just interested in filming yourself riding, I'd say give it a miss. 99.99% of your footage will be too boring to use, unless you want to be one of those boring bastards that are so popular vlogging on youtube right now.

Even mounting my cameras on my helmet and bike in various configurations around the track made for boring footage - it's just not that interesting. Add to that, editing is a pain in the balls.

My best videos have been holiday snaps. Take loads of short clips (< 10 seconds) and edit together a holiday memento with some good music.

Bike
    1982 Honda CX500
    Mikes right, hours of footage for a few minutes actually worth sharing. And the editing is a major time consuming PITA.
    The guys who do ok on YouTube either live in busy places and have a job that allows them to record a few hours a day eg RJ and Walterriffic. Or act like knob jockeys to create stuff that would probably get you arrested here. And rightly so.
    But if you have different reasons for it, then why not? It is your time after all. The Contour style on the helmet is the way to go. Camera points where you look. And the round low profile doesn't look as silly as a Gopro.
    Also as mentioned if you want clarity to pick up number plates at 100k, then you will need 1080p at 60fps capability.
    Also if you want good sound, you need a decent stand alone microphone. The built in ones are awful and do nothing but pick up wind noise

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
    akzle's right, that's gay shit and no cunt is ever going to watch it.
    . .

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    Mate just bought a tomtom camera and mounts after research. It's used only for training purposes.
    Others have bought cheap units and keep posting endless videos no one want to watch on U tube.
    So, if you're serious, check out tomtom units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    he's said its just for insurance purposes not for posting on youtube.

I have an old go pro and a Contour HD. GoPRo goes on the rear and the contour on the bikini fairing. I wouldnt waste money on a new one, I'd just get a secondhand one. The quality is good enough if you DO get some good footage (I got some awesome footage going over the hills at Piha with the Ocean appearing in the distance), but its fine for insurance.

I prefer the contour myself, but they are both ok
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Oh good times, put up recordings of you riding down a road.

That will be interesting.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I use a Replay XD. Very easy to fit, lots of video options, full HD - pretty good overall.

Coupla negatives include 4:3 format - no 16:9. And .mov files which are fine in themselves but are a bit of a bugger if you use a windows computer.

Fact of the matter is that although I bought it for bike vids, I found very quickly that such vids are really fucking boring. So I rarely use it any more.

You can set it to do time lapse though. Quite good to see which of the neighbourhood brats is the one pinching my fucking strawberries while I am out.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Thread Information