Hi all, as I have gone through the pain of getting a KDX 200 on the road I thought I would post what you need to do to achieve this.

A word of warning, this will cost a lot of money, it cost me north of $2000 to get the KDX on the road all said and done, and this was done as cheaply as possible, it is a LOT easier getting a pre registered bike back on the road, so would probably save you money selling your bike and getting a DRZ 400 that is or has been registered.

Step 1: Check if your bike is in the NZTA system with a PDI (Pre delivery inspection) being completed. This is important without this it will be very hard to get your bike on the road, and possibly quite costly despite having all the correct gear, not impossible however. To find out if your bike is in the NZTA system with a PDI ring up NZTA as they are the only ones who can check, you will need to give them your VIN.

Step 2: Source all parts, ideally e-marked (this makes your life a whole lot easier). You will need head lights (don't need high beam), Indicators, Brake light (including brake switches), Tail light, Number plate light, rear reflector, number plate holder, mirror (only 1 required), Speedometer(Bike one fine and doesn't need to read that high either, I got one for $6 from Ali Express) and horn. If you don't have a PDI you will need to ensure your brake lines, pads, discs are all e marked too.

Step 3: Draw a circuit diagram and figure out your handlebar switches, this is where a voltmeter comes in real handy, you can measure the resistance.

Step 4: Wire up everything, for this I recommend getting some 5 core trailer wire and possibly a large capacity lithium battery, I used a 12.6V 10Ah. You will need quite a lot of wire and lots of different colours.

Step 5: Make everything fit and tidy up, then test once completed then test again for good measure.

Step 6: Get a Brake Declaration done

Step 7: (If no PDI): This is where it gets tricky, some mechanics may do a retrospective PDI for you, however if they won't you will need to get a LVC (Low Volume Certification), the LVC can be quite pricey as there isn't much competition. The LVC will go over everything on your bike with a fine tooth comb, if anything is slightly wrong it will fail, this is where having e marked everything is helpful, right down to the brake lines!

Step 8: Take your bike to a sympathetic VTNZ or AA branch, this is important, if your bike was never intended for road use a testing officer can outright refuse to register your bike even with the paperwork. The rules can be quite subjective here so having someone who wants to help rather than get on a power trip can be very useful.

With Step 8 you will be required to sign a declaration of ownership that needs to be also signed by a JP or Police Officer, this will probably slow you up a bit as they aren't likely to have a JP on hand at your local VTNZ.