Thread: Adventure riding both islands

Bike
    2005 BMW f650gs Dakar

Adventure riding both islands

Hi guys,
    I just bought a BMW f650gs Dakar and in two weeks I want to start travel all around the country, starting from Gisborne to north-land and then to the south island for another few weeks.
    I'm looking for people that would like to ride together for few hours or as much as they able to, or wouldn't care that I will join to your trip.
    I'm very flex able about my plans.
    I'm hold the learner driving license so I cant ride from 10pm to 5am, I prefer camping or backpackers, hostel would be too expensive for my budget.
    so if some one is interested you could comment here or to Itamarbareket@gmail.com.

If some one already done something like that and have any tracks or any thing to recommend that would be really helpful.

Thanks, Itamar.

Bike
    2/'79 XR500s, 04 KLX400, 1953CycleMotor
    Plenty to see and do in Nelson/Golden Bay,, sing out when you're gettin close!
    Helmet time is the best kind of time.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Skip the north island ... go south.

Highway one south to Christchurch ... is now the mother of all adventure roads. Go while you still have money and enthusiasm ...

The north island can wait ... nothing there to see (worth seeing) anyway ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by itamar View Post

If some one already done something like that and have any tracks or any thing to recommend that would be really helpful.

Thanks, Itamar.

Have you seen Josh or Eddie's sites...
    the best resorce for ADV riding in NZ....

http://www.remotemoto.com/

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Gisborne is good starting point....Never mind these ill informed southernerrs....

A good start would be to go to lake waikaremoana to dial yourself in, via wairoa. Easy daytrip, expensive fuel available at motorcamp if needed. The back way home (there are two ways to wairoa) via tiniroto is good road to as are the farm roads from tuai to tiniroto.

From Gisborne head to opotiki and turn off at matawhai to do the infamous Motu rd.

Also head north to the eastcape lighthouse.

'Right around the block', gisborne, Te araroa, Opotiki, Gisborne is great ride, road was closed at Te Kaha awhile ago so check that.
    Oh btw heding up the Cape the road is tarsealed but utterly shite condition, marked and unmarked steps and jumps in the road and loose gravel on seal. Just think earthquake damage but without earthquake.....

Ohh looks like your out of electric for couple days after plane crash tragedy, generators going in at couple of main service stations....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2005 BMW f650gs Dakar

thanks a lot all

thanks for helpful advice's.
    Now the power is back..
    So on www.remotemoto.com I can't see nothing without pay 100$ that i'll pay if there is no other option but first I thought may be you guys know some other way, and on adventureridingnz there is only few track.
    just another question for the riders that don't have a GPS device and use Android smartphone instead, what app do you use?
    or may be it is a bit old fashion but is it possible to use topographic maps?

Bike
    F800GS
    Hi Itamar. If you don't have a GPS get a decent up to date road atlas, the kiwimaps one I use is pretty good. Decide where you want to go while having breakfast, then go there via a route that eventually gets you there. Take your time and have a good poke around on the way, ya never know what you'll find.
    I also use an app called campermate to find some camping sites, if that's you thing.
    RemoteMoto is a great resource for planning trips, worth the coin IMHO.
    Flick me a pm when you hit the top of the south.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    We have an open source site with Garmin compatible maps of NZ: Downloads (use with likes of Mapsource): http://www.nzopengps.org/public/Late...exing_Mapsets/
    Direct img files you can load on GPS/mobile: http://www.nzopengps.org/public/Direct_gmapsupp/
    The forum for the maps: http://gwprojects.org/forum/index.php

I've also used OruxMaps on Android, but I don't think it does much route navigation (I mainly use for logging routes to alter the maps)

RemoteMoto is the best source simply because Josh has spent so much time mapping the back routes of the island and lives in the South Island. AdventureRiding is community developed (so a rider needs to go there, with the right technology to map, photograph etc) and the website developer lives in the North Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by itamar View Post
    thanks for helpful advice's.
    Now the power is back..
    So on www.remotemoto.com I can't see nothing without pay 100$ that i'll pay if there is no other option but first I thought may be you guys know some other way, and on adventureridingnz there is only few track.
    just another question for the riders that don't have a GPS device and use Android smartphone instead, what app do you use?
    or may be it is a bit old fashion but is it possible to use topographic maps?
    No need to pay $$$$. Good on RM for what he has built up if your into that but I learnt how to read real maps properly years ago and still prefer them along with other modern tools.
    A real adventure is picking somewhere new on a map and sussing it out, the anticipation is half the fun.

Topo maps can be downloaded here http://www.linz.govt.nz/land/maps/topographic-maps

planning a ride i'll typically google search area first, then google image search any potential scenic photo spots etc. Even use streetview to check for fuelstops in small towns.

Google maps before you go for a good overview, distance calculation and looking at alternate routes incase of detour.
    I travel with 4G smartphone but its backup in pocket or tankbag, not mounted on bike.
    Would like a nice GPS but very very very few instances where the cost is justified. for that I'll suck up the occasional wrong turn or delay in looking up a detour on phone.

Conservation dept camping http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...laces-to-stay/

Also google holiday parks nz and various operators have options all over country

Take note of the sun at certain times of the day for your compass points reference NSEW....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VUntitled-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	408.1 KB 
ID:	326801  
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere

Blah

Jeez r650r.......what a palava.....I find it easier to pay remotemoto and bypass all that time you ve spent looking at maps...googling....etc. I pays me money and its all at my fingertips at the press of a button. but each to his own

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    For paper maps the AA - Automobile Association - ones are good as they have most road names listed. I usually take these for an overview even though we have all the other gadgets & mapping resources also.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Where's the adventure in all that. I just ride until the tank is down to a third, then start looking for gas. With a 300km range, this gives me 100km to find a town.

I enjoy exploring and don't mind being lostish. It's pretty hard to get truly lost in NZ.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Thread Information