Thread: I thought I had got the biking bug out of my system (mcshaz)

Bike
    Honda cb600 Hornet

I thought I had got the biking bug out of my system (mcshaz)

7 years ago I left Oz for NZ, and I sold a '06 Honda CB600R (hornet) to come over the ditch. My better half pushed out 2 little kiwis, I have flicked over to the wrong side of 40 (with the associated loss of youthful reflexes).

Seeing a mate's Harley the other week has lead to a creeping, gnawing, unstoppable itch that it is time to get another bike, and I am personally not even interested in cruisers (all due respect etc etc).

previous bikes have been a Honda XR250, '77 Triumph Boneville T140J (Silver Jubilee). the hornet was my favourite bike - rarely got it out of 3rd & had a fantastic ride to work.

I am not even sure where to begin, but might put thoughts down to organise my current dilemmas

1. I want something that will get me through Auckland traffic.
    2. should also be fun going out to the bach at Kare Kare.
    3. Some skills will have deteriorated in 7 years off a bike. Even though I can probably afford something quite nice, I would probably be best off with something I am happy to lay on its side at rider training - it is always the slow speed stuff that made me the most nervous. I have put bikes on their side twice, both while doing tight manoeuvres with loose asphalt (a better rider would have kept the bike upright).
    4. I need to keep my licence - loosing it I would be unable to keep my job, and I need to keep it (too much investment of time and effort to get here). Accelerate up fast to the speed limit, hold speed in the corners, but I really can't afford the license points of breaking the speed limit. I also have 2 girls I need to stay alive for.
    5. I have an inner hoon like, I suspect, most people on this forum - used to go through a new rear tire on the hornet every 5 to 6000 clicks, and removing chicken strips quickly is a matter of principle.
    6. Having never ridden a bike with a fairing, maybe it is time to give one a go - ducking under the wind cover in the rain, or not hanging on so hard at 100kph must be nice. I do prefer the look of nakeds, but sometimes function is more important than form.
    7. I have always had a thing for BMWs and boxer engines, lusting after the GS series since I was about 17. Interestingly now I don't fancy the adventure tourers (if I had time to ride around NZ over a few months, that would change my mind), but still am smitten by what I have seen of the modern BMW techno-wizardry. Of course no modern BMW is in any way compatible with point 3 (the price means a drop would be accompanied with tears and the weight of a 1000-1200cc seems intimidating). the S1000 series look amazing, but are in no way compatible with point 4, and would be well outside my skill level.
    8. I am not even sure of the number of cylinders. I wonder what peple mean when they say 4s have no character - if you stay in the top end, they have plenty of character for me (although they do make a fairly obtrusive noise for other motorists on the daily commute when you spend most of the time on the bike in that range)

Having put these meandering ramblings down I guess I have 2 questions:
    • Any recomendations for a training course for an average rider getting back into things
    • Any thoughts about dealers in Auckland. I have always bought and sold privately, but am now pretty time poor

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by mcshaz View Post
    I want something that will get me through Auckland traffic.
    I want to win Lotto.

DR650, FTW!

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    I want to win Lotto.

DR650, FTW!
    +1 for Dr650. Nice road tyres a little fettling it will do all you all above and more... still up to you to keep it the right side of legal but.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Search out a well looked after Hornet 900. Physical size is pretty much the same as the 600 Hornet you had - it will feel familiar and assist in 'getting back' - plus the 900 engine is a good torquey motor so you should adapt quickly then let the upper end rip when feeling confident.

Trade it in when you are confident again and looking for the dream ride.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Ride Forever courses seem the way to go as they are mad keen to get returning riders on them. The fact you are thinking about revising your skills is a good sign. Too many thinking a gap of years is not going to blunt their skills. Check out the Ride Forever website for providers in your area.

I don't really know the dealers in Auckland but have visited Colemans and they were receptive enough to new customers. A visit to Barrys Point Road seems to be a good way to see a lot in a short space of time.

An R850R ticks some of the boxes you describe. Once happy on 2 wheels again you could look a fresher 1200R/RS/GS/RT
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Rideforever Silver

You could do some CBTA training (no assessment), but at the moment you can do the Ride Forever courses for free *cough*ACC budget surplus*cough*Spring16*cough* if you book before 18 December but the course can be after that date.

It seems you want lots of bikes in one. Had you been riding the Horne้ 600 long? I'd say a close match would be the Yammie MT-07 or maybe the Honda CB500FA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_MT-07A_MS1_AU_1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	326767Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB500FA-Side.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	326766
    as for BMW, I forgot to mention the F800 which looks quite fun if this video is anything to go by: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXhLnj4Cvw

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm a biased towards the CB919 having done 110-120k on one, but they are older and there are plenty of newer options available. They are indeed torquey while still having higher end punch if you want it. Being older, the gas consumption isn't that good compared to the newer bikes.

Newer, even just amongst the Hondas, the CB500 range (road bike, naked and adventure style), the CB650F (road bike), also the NC700 and newer NC750 (very economical but low revving) and the luggage compartment in the usual fuel tank spot is quite handy.

Ride Forever courses are an excellent suggestion and you can go through from Bronze to Silver and onto Gold as you feel comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Agree with the rest, returning riders seem to get hurt a lot.

For you i would look at a Street triple. Fun, and light.

Bike
    Honda cb600 Hornet
    thanks for all the input! In reply to the question about how much I had ridden the hornet, I put 10-20 k on each of the bikes I have owned.

They look like some great suggestions - i'll get onto trademe. probably go ABS, as although I have never locked a front wheel, I must have come pretty close & I have certainly screeched the rear on heavy braking.

So many choices & quite exciting. I did love the hornet, but I loved the rush of the top end a little too much!

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    The ride forever courses are fantastic, just done bronze and (finally) sorting my license this weekend.

Have got myself a drz400sm for hoolaganisim, its fantastic in Auckland commute but absolute shyte if sitting at 100 for anything over about 10 mins.

Hace recently acquired a fz6r (xj600) which is a retuned r6 in a "sports tourer" frame. Good fun in the twisty stuff but also more thhappy doing long distance (nelson to auckland in one weekend, and I could still walk happily)

In all honesty, shop around. Lots of bikes, really spoiled for choice.

The south Auckland Street skills (Sass) is a good bunch of buggers to catch up with on a Tuesday evening, and are definately aimed at getting in some good habbits. Most of the stuff covered in the bronze ride forever course was reinforcing things I learned just starting out with the Sass riders, and now my tuesdays are mine again i'll be there a bit more often

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Well I'm a biased towards the CB919 having done 110-120k on one, but they are older and there are plenty of newer options available. They are indeed torquey while still having higher end punch if you want it. Being older, the gas consumption isn't that good compared to the newer bikes.

Newer, even just amongst the Hondas, the CB500 range (road bike, naked and adventure style), the CB650F (road bike), also the NC700 and newer NC750 (very economical but low revving) and the luggage compartment in the usual fuel tank spot is quite handy.

Ride Forever courses are an excellent suggestion and you can go through from Bronze to Silver and onto Gold as you feel comfortable.
    This.^

I loved my 919 but was going to suggest one of the CB500 range or the 650 which would be most similar the OPs Hornet. He should also consider investing in a radar detector. My job too was conditional on having a licence which was a powerful incentive to acquire a detector.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information