Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big dude

Bike
    none
    Really appreciate all the insight here. I super expected to get flamed outta the forum, but thanks heaps for not killing me.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I'm about your weight (not your height though) - I started on a 250 Hornet - which was fine, except for uphills on the motorway where it struggled, I then got a GSX650FU - which was fantastic, plenty of torque low down.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    I'm about your weight (not your height though) - I started on a 250 Hornet - which was fine, except for uphills on the motorway where it struggled, I then got a GSX650FU - which was fantastic, plenty of torque low down.
    Thanks for that. That was my worry with my size. Hills on the motorway!

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryFits View Post
    Pretty much the reply of the month right here. The 250 commuted you around solid enough? Didn't thrash the bike to the point it spent more time in the shop than it did under your ass?
    For commuting and learning to ride, it was fine. Size wise it was just right, but it was heavy when compared to the Japanese equivalents. I did end up blowing it up, but that was my own stupid fault. And a replacement engine only cost $500 and an afternoon to put it in.

It's all budget dependant. if you want something cheap, for 18 months or so while you learn, a Hyo is fine.
    "It would be spiteful, to put jellyfish in a trifle."
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Not a complete Lardo, if that's what yer askin. I'm more of a heavy lifting, dead lifting, active all day at work kind of Lardo. I'm big, but a solid portion of it is muscle. The other portion of it is in fact pies. And pizza and whole chickens, a few babies and a bunny here or there. Not worried about the physicality of riding in the slightest.
    Ok magilla - sweet as. Welcome aboard. I cant help as i fit a very different profile however hope you find what your looking for and enjoy it.

Bike
    CB1300
    Biking can be a little challenging for those who are not little.
    Not at all aided by the number of importers who won't bring in gear that fits those of us with generous proportions.

Yeah, yeah I need to lose weight... but even at ideal weight I am still difficult to buy gear or bikes for.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Biking can be a little challenging for those who are not little.
    Not at all aided by the number of importers who won't bring in gear that fits those of us with generous proportions.

Yeah, yeah I need to lose weight... but even at ideal weight I am still difficult to buy gear or bikes for.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    I feel your pain. I'm just one of those naturally big guys, though I have packed on more poundage after leaving the military and moving to nz where I discovered meat pies, I try to justify that by calling it power. Even in the military, my uniforms were bigger than the norm.

Can't wait to see what kind of nightmare i face getting gear.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Not quite your size and haven't been confined to a learner bike for some time, but my thoughts on the suggestions above: I doubt a motard would be comfortable enough for that long commute. A 250 could probably do the job, but you'll most likely be maxing out the suspension and you'll need to ring it's neck quite a bit. A mid size bike will rev a lot lower than a 250 at highway speeds. While LAMS limits horsepower, the bigger engine is going to have a broader spread of torque throughout the rev range. It'll just be easier and more comfortable to ride on a longer commute. It depends on your budget, but if it were me I'd be looking to the new breed of larger LAMS bikes, MT-07, Street triple etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB1300
    I feel your pain. I'm just one of those naturally big guys, though I have packed on more poundage after leaving the military and moving to nz where I discovered meat pies, I try to justify that by calling it power. Even in the military, my uniforms were bigger than the norm.

Can't wait to see what kind of nightmare i face getting gear.
    Unless your budget stretches to fancier gear you might want to check out:
    www.1tonne.co.nz who stock larger sizes. Send them your measurements and their recommendations are pretty accurate.
    www.msw.co.nz who make tailor made gear or can tailor something to fit.

Technics used to be my go to brand but sizing can be a little weird and can be hard to get.

Neo are ugly but have good quality... but only a very limited amount of the big sizes available.

Helmets are another challenge if your head is in proportion.
    If you can't find anything big enough try to find an HJC CLSP.
    There are other options but not many.

Feet are in proportion too? Look for some Gaerne ones. Only ones I know that go up to a size 13w (euro 48) unless you like cruiser boots like Johnny Rebs. Other brands claim to do 48s but then the neck is the same size as the 45s so you can't get them on.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    +1 for HJC and Gaerne. Both came in a a good price, and fit well for my keg-head and flipper feet.
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    +1 for HJC and Gaerne. Both came in a a good price, and fit well for my keg-head and flipper feet.
    Thanks for that info, Big Dog and Gubb. I do have a melon, plus my beard adds another dimension to it.

Thanks everyone for your insight. Very much appreciated!

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    This thread: Motorcycle Gear Online Shops might be worth having a look at.

You'd probably get a better range available overseas, thinking the US, and motorcycle gear may still be duty free... used to be if it was "motorcycle safety gear".

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    Once you get sorted with a bike and gear, gimme a buzz, and we can go for a ride.
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    No one has suggested the Yamaha XT660X motard or XT660R enduro or XT660Z tenere. The X and R can be found at very reasonable prices. The engine is bullet proof and reliable. It's a big single and has great torque and 47 hp. Also injected. It'll do 100km plus all day long even up decent hills. They are comfortable and roomier than heaps of others. Worth checking out.
    flashg

Bike
    ES XTZ
    ^^^^^^^ What Flash said , ive followed him when he had one and they certainly go well, and would be almost perfect sizing.

Thread Information