Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big dude

Bike
    none

Big dude

I'm looking at obtaining my learners license at the beginning of the year. I'm a big dude, 6'0 130kg (on a good day). I'd be commuting about 100kms a day and was wondering what a solid beginner bike would be for big guys.

I've read forums and it's usually unanimous that it all depends on the feel of the bike. How comfortable one is with a bike, what feels better when sitting on a bike, confidence and the rest.

I'm thinking with my size and distance I'd be travelling each day that a 250 is probably not gonna get the job done, am I right?

I've looked at bigger bikes but I really don't want to dump a lot of money into my beginner bike. I was looking at a couple of 650s, the Suzuki S40 mainly, the Hyosung gv650 as another. The problem is the s40 seems a bit small and the Hyosung is well, a Hyosung.

I apologize if these questions have been addressed elsewhere, but I really haven't had a chance to scour THESE forums and was hoping to find someone, a big someone, who might have some incite regarding my particular situation.

Oh, btw, I'm not opposed to 250s, I'd gladly rock a 250 if a 250 will have me, but I have a big ass and I'd need a bike that can appreciate a man bear.

Thanks in advance.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    I would say get a motard... but with the size of your backside you'd swallow the slim seat.

Go to a bike shop or 4 and try sitting on a bunch of bikes.

Bike
    none
    Pretty sure motard seat would feel like I'm wearing a thong. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it might not look pretty on the motorway.
    Last edited by TheAngryFits; 13th December 2016 at 15:28. Reason: Typo

Bike
    Ducatis
    Suzuki SV 650. (pretty sure they are LAMS??)
    BMW F650

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    I'm bit bigger than you, (6'3" - same weight) and started on a Hyosung 250 (This was before LAMS). Did plenty of long commutes and trips no worries at all. Thatbeingsaid, if I had to do it again, i'd be looking at a SV400/650 (Street Triple 660 if money allowed!) or CB500.
    "It would be spiteful, to put jellyfish in a trifle."
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    the best one
    KLR650 - cheap, good for taller people. Late models start around 6k used to ~9k new. Reliable - they are ok.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryFits View Post
    I'm a big dude

That's a nice euphemism.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Maybe a ER-6N or CB500F?

With LAMS bikes its's about Power to Weight ratios for most bikes over 250cc so take that into consideration when you look at 650s. 650cc LAMS bikes are usually restricted to about 45hp so even though a 600 may sound like a lot they can be heavier - and therefore slower - than something that's lighter and 400cc

Also, because you're a heavier person, remember to increase the preload on your suspension, most bikes are configured for 60kg asian riders.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    ER650N, SV650 or MT-07 would be reasonable options IMO.

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    Are you a 130 kgs of center (sic) linebacker or could you perhaps eat a few less pies between now and then and have a few more options.

Seriously, riding is hard work. You might find it easier if your more in shape...

Bike
    Kawasaki
    130kg plus the weight of your gear and anything else you want to take to work... yeah, you're the only person I'd reccommend get a 600-650 LAMS bike. I can't recommend any though.

I do the same distance commute on a 296cc bike, and during winter the bike sometimes carries over 120kg.

You'll be fine on a 600-650 LAMS, then upgrade when you can. You should be able to afford a better (second hand) bike with the money you scrape back from selling the LAMS bike.

Bike
    2014 Triumph America
    I am similar weight. started on a KLR650 but was uncomfortable on long rides. then got a Hyosung GV650 which is much more comfortable and powerful but very cheaply made. I would look at a new one and it should be good for couple of years. Now I'm riding a Triumph Bonneville which is an awesome commuter.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilia_RS250 View Post
    KLR650 - cheap, good for taller people. Late models start around 6k used to ~9k new. Reliable - they are ok.
    Klr650 may not gel well with his weight.
    I really wanted one until I sat on one.
    At 130 ish kgs I hit the stops just lowering myself onto the seat and that was not in my gear, just shorts t shirt etc.
    I didn't quite rest on them but pretty easy to see big coin going into suspension so I didn't bother.

My picks would be LAMS er650, MT, Honda forget the model but it is a 500cc version of the CB1300.
    DR650 if your up for riding a saw horse for 100kms a day and want something to explore gravel poor off-road.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post
    Are you a 130 kgs of center (sic) linebacker or could you perhaps eat a few less pies between now and then and have a few more options.

Seriously, riding is hard work. You might find it easier if your more in shape...

Not a complete Lardo, if that's what yer askin. I'm more of a heavy lifting, dead lifting, active all day at work kind of Lardo. I'm big, but a solid portion of it is muscle. The other portion of it is in fact pies. And pizza and whole chickens, a few babies and a bunny here or there. Not worried about the physicality of riding in the slightest.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    I'm bit bigger than you, (6'3" - same weight) and started on a Hyosung 250 (This was before LAMS). Did plenty of long commutes and trips no worries at all. Thatbeingsaid, if I had to do it again, i'd be looking at a SV400/650 (Street Triple 660 if money allowed!) or CB500.
    Pretty much the reply of the month right here. The 250 commuted you around solid enough? Didn't thrash the bike to the point it spent more time in the shop than it did under your ass?

Thread Information