Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your advice please

Bike
    Nothing yet

Your advice please

Hey guys n gals
    I'm new to buying/owning bikes so am after some advice please......I know my way around cars no problems but very green when it comes to bikes. I'm looking at a V-Strom on trade me, listing number 1216088606

https://preview.trademe.co.nz/motors...kes/1216088606

Has anyone had experience with this model? Is 55k high milage for this type of bike? What sort of servicing or repair costs should I expect in the near future.
    This will be my first bike purchase. I am wanting something to commute from Hamilton to Tauranga at least 3 times a week for most of next year, so will be going over the Kaimai's a fair bit. I've been looking at and keen on either a V-Strom 650 or 1000, Versey 650 or 1000, or a vfr800x Cross Runner.
    I'm 6'3, 90 odd kilos so taller bikes aren't an issue for me. If you have any recommendations or advice that would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers in advance.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Soooo....what experience do you have with motorcycles?

Bike
    A
    And apart from lack of experience, what is the licence situation?

Bike
    z800
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    And apart from lack of experience, what is the licence situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Soooo....what experience do you have with motorcycles?
    whose mummy and whose daddy???

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifsn8u View Post
    whose mummy and whose daddy???
    Very witty. However I'm not so keen on recommending a bike to someone who it appears doesn't have much experience on bikes, or at least has made it look that way.

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Haha my apologies. I have a full licence. I'm early forties paying for my own bike. No mummy or daddys not paying for it 😂😂😂😂😂😂.
    Only real riding I've done is town riding but that was years ago and only on 250cc road bike with a couple a rides out of town with said bike with mates.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I will assume you have a sense of caution commensurate with your age. The bike you are interested in is a sensible choice, assuming experience and ability are appropriate. That's a lot of assumptions. Make haste slowly.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    Haha my apologies. I have a full licence. I'm early forties paying for my own bike. No mummy or daddys not paying for it 😂😂😂😂😂😂.
    Only real riding I've done is town riding but that was years ago and only on 250cc road bike with a couple a rides out of town with said bike with mates.
    First thing your going to want to do with that type of bike is get some lessons. Only ridden a 250 and not ridden for years is a recipe for disaster if you try to much too soon.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    CB1300
    Stroms of either capacity have good reputations for reliability and 55 isn't massive kms, just keep in mind if you plan to put 30,000 pa on it you will pass 100,000 well under 2 years ownership.

Google is your friend, look up a service manual for the bike you are looking at, what needs doing when?
    Some models you'll find lots of examples of about the same kms just before a big service where everything is due.

Get the bike inspected.
    X2 if you don't know much about bikes.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    z800
    Very witty. However I'm not so keen on recommending a bike to someone who it appears doesn't have much experience on bikes, or at least has made it look that way.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

But you both raise valid points

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

They should totally get a BMW S1000RR

hahaha

No seriously, Versys 650 is an economical commuter, unless you're into more serious adventure biking then in that case I'd say look at a Triumph Tiger *800* or KTM 690.

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Thanks for all your recommendation. There ideas is to be sensible and that's why I've gone with the up right riding style bikes. My old back wouldn't be up to a sports bike anyway so yeah just trying to be sensible. Just forked out $1600 at the local dealership for some half decent riding gear etc so looking forward to getting out on some different bikes and see what I like. Unfortunately I'm out of the country for 3 weeks on Friday so will go shopping for a bike on my return the 2nd week of Jan

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    First thing your going to want to do with that type of bike is get some lessons. Only ridden a 250 and not ridden for years is a recipe for disaster if you try to much too soon.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    So you think I should stick with the 650 then??

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post

Sent from Tapa

No seriously, Versys 650 is an economical commuter,.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    I'm only gonna ride on the road at this stage. Maybe down the track I might do some bumpy stuff but that's a maybe at this stage

Bike
    Nothing yet
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I will assume you have a sense of caution commensurate with your age. 😂😂😂😂😂 I hope so??

The bike you are interested in is a sensible choice, assuming experience and ability are appropriate.

"I will take that into consideration"

That's a lot of assumptions. 😳☺️☺️😳

Make haste slowly.
    Thanks again for your words

Thread Information