Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki SV650 vs SV1000s handling?

Bike
    Several old ones

Suzuki SV650 vs SV1000s handling?

I owned a SV1000s a few years back and found it to be a great bike but found the handlebars to low and the pegs a bit high. Like after 2hrs riding and I wanted to hop off.
    I was wondering about buying a SV650 or SV1000 (note not S) models.
    These are the unfaired models and seating is more upright,
    I was wanting comments on what riders thought of the comparison and also how the 650 handles compared to the 1000?

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Had an 07 N this is what you need by the sounds of it, handles ok i thought , def comfy.
    Never rode a 650.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    This what I had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140507_142310.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	780.0 KB 
ID:	326800  

Bike
    2006 Suzuki SV1000S
    I've got an 06 SV1000s so that's sort of my preference. My ex had a S model that had been converted to high bars. Personally I thought it was awful, the front felt really vague but then it wasn't the naked one to begin with so maybe the suspension wasn't suited to the new position?

One of my mates recently did some work on his naked 1000, Nitron rear shock, new progressive front springs and oil and he said it made a big difference.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I had an SV650 and it was .... OK

front forks too soft. Needed better brake lines and pads. Had to cut the pipe to fit an end can. Desperately needed a better shock. When I added up how much I would have to spend on it to make it into the bike I wanted I sold it and bought a Honda Hornet 919...

My mate had an SV1000S. I rode it a bit and was frankly underwhelmed by it... not that quick, not that nimble, and not that nice a place to sit.

We both ended up on triumphs: Street triple for me and Speed Triple for him
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I had a ride on a SV1000s tonight that had tourin bars, zx10 rear shock and has had the forks set up at some stage, I think by Robert Taylor. I really enjoyed it, mostly because of the big twin bellow and noise, but it was actually nice and easy to ride at a good pace. The weak point is the terrible front brakes.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    I test rode the 650 before I bought the 1000. Couldn't tell much difference in handling comparing the two. Engine is good, suspension needs work on both. As expected, the 1000 is a tad heavier.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I had a 650S. Handling was average at best, despite me installing Cartridge Emulators in the front end. The seat was kind of like a board of unplaned wood. Most uncomfortable bike seat I ever sat on. I struggled to ride more than two hours at a time.

Current bike much more comfortable and stable.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I had a K5 SV 650s. They are a budget parts bin bike that work. I loved mine, but the limitations are huge. Poor shock, soft and basic forks, poor brakes etc etc. just add $$$. I then had an SV1000s. Never gelled with it. (Slightly) better spec but serious limitations in the suspension area
    And the motor is nowhere as sweet as the 650 unit. I hanker after a new SV 650 but it would cost thousands to make it the bike I would want it to be. Mulletman is the experienced one re an SV1000 naked, he had his one for quite a while.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    They're both I'll handling bits of shit.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    I owned a SV1000s a few years back and found it to be a great bike but found the handlebars to low and the pegs a bit high. Like after 2hrs riding and I wanted to hop off.
    I was wondering about buying a SV650 or SV1000 (note not S) models.
    These are the unfaired models and seating is more upright,
    I was wanting comments on what riders thought of the comparison and also how the 650 handles compared to the 1000?
    There is a lot of info out there - Look on the SV forum.
    I have an 07 Sv1000 from new. The are a budget bike, but when I bought it, it was a new bike within the budget and the savings were enough against the other options to allow for some upgrades over the following years.
    I replaced the stock bars that I found low and at the wrong angle with new bars from F1 Engineering (http://rapidartnz.com/catagories.htm#highrise). Made a huge difference. First thing I did - I tried one with these bars on it before I bought it so I bought it knowing this was a necessity. There are other bar makers overseas (Helibar etc) but they are no cheaper.
    The stock front springs are soft and when you touch the brakes, the front dives through the floor and then is really harsh. New Racetec springs fixed that (and setup by Robert Taylor). Again a good difference.
    Back shock is so-so and soft for most heavy kiwis and shakes your kidneys. Setup helps (there are some online guies) and getting the front spring done makes the most difference so you can live with the back if you have to. Robert Taylor built an Ohlins for it. You can't get an off the shelf one - the tool box is in the way. Kind of OTT for the bike, but nice. There are cheaper replacements from other bikes or manufacturers, but Robert did a great job and worth the money. I have the shock dyno chart here somewhere - interesting to see the difference in the damping curves
    The stock seat has a certain firmness. I didn't find it to bad - able to do 500km days on it, but I got a second hand genuine Suzuki gel seat which is better. If I hadn't got the gel seat, I would have got a Corbin seat from Ebay. I had one on my BMW back in the day and it was really nice and well made.
    Carbon Yoshis sound good. I still have the baffles in them as I have neighbours...
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    SV1K
    I had a 08 SV650N and then went to a 05 SV1000N, both black frame. The 650 had about a grand spent on it with new springs and a ZX10 shock, so pretty well sorted, plus TRE and snorkel removed and a Yoshi. The 1000 was stock but without the snorkel and had yoshis and suspension adjusted as well as could be. The 650 was a better town bike for sure, smoother and less lumpy. On the open road the 650 steering was a bit average and at higher speeds got a bit of a shake. The 1000 felt more planted and solid in the wind and more solid in the steering at all speeds.

I loved both bikes for different reasons. The 650 felt more nimble and easier to throw around but so long as you are aggressive the 1000 can be thrown around too. The 1000 would always give me a smile just for the sound and the torque.

Both bikes for me do everything commute, tour and play. If I were to choose... the 1000N, but that's just me.
    I currently have a 1250 naked Bandit, with a few mods

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    My first big bike was a new SV650S, 2nd and 3rd bike was a GSXR750 and CB900 Hornet.

After a while I got to ride my old bike (SV650S) again because a friend had purchased it from the dealer.

Conclusion, I hurriedly swap bikes with my friend back to my CB900 Hornet. That is after I really really struggled to keep up and catch them first.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    XR650R

sv650 vs 1000

I had a 09 650, got it to ride to work in the next town, it was a brilliant commuter bike, plus it was fun on secondary roads after I derestricted , removed the secondary butterfly, opened up the snorkel, pplus I made a free flow header to go with the two bro,s muffler it came with.
    my brother has a 07sv1000, it had the f1 handlebar, and yoshi mufflers, he has just recently had Mr Taylor sort the suspension, revalve front, nitron shock- has made it more stable, I don't personally like the handling, it seems ponderous,
    doesn't like tipping in like the 650, but the mtr not bad, I'm making him a exhaust header , and a port clean up next, so once that's dyno tuned it should be more free revving.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I'm guessing he will have made a decision in the two years since he posted the question.

Thread Information