Thread: Clutch slip.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..

Clutch slip.

Me an' Chrissy Bimbo went on a can ride on the Battlestar Galactica (The Ultra-glide) which involved a lot of stop-start and 1st gear stuff, constantly on the clutch.

After about an hour I had a chance to get into 2nd gear and open the throttle.

Result was a bit of clutch slip for 20 metres or so and then I backed off a little.

later after being parked for an hour or so I gave the bike a bit of throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear and all was well.

Is it normal for this type of bike to get some clutch slip under those circumstances.?? (hot and slow riding, two-up and clutch getting used lots.)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Is it normal for this type of bike to get some clutch slip under those circumstances.??
    Fat rider, lose some weight
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Me an' Chrissy Bimbo went on a can ride on the Battlestar Galactica (The Ultra-glide) which involved a lot of stop-start and 1st gear stuff, constantly on the clutch.

Result was a bit of clutch slip for 20 metres or so and then I backed off a little.

later after being parked for an hour or so I gave the bike a bit of throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear and all was well.

Is it normal for this type of bike to get some clutch slip under those circumstances.?? (hot and slow riding, two-up and clutch getting used lots.)
    I wouldn't expect so.

Perhaps a little adjustment is in order. Ive only ever had clutch slip when the clutch was out of adjustment, or on it's way out. Unless you are at the drag strip, launching hard, I would say that clutch slip means some attention is required.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Fat rider, lose some weight

Get fucked porky!!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    I wouldn't expect so.

Perhaps a little adjustment is in order. Ive only ever had clutch slip when the clutch was out of adjustment, or on it's way out. Unless you are at the drag strip, launching hard, I would say that clutch slip means some attention is required.
    I hear you Tim- just that (a) I haven't ridden a bike in those coditions and (b) the bike has never done that before - or
    since.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Maybe the oil had had enough?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    90% of Harleys ever made are still on the road.

The rest made it home.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    90% of Harleys ever made are still on the road.

The rest made it home.

THAT really helped!

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Check the rear wheel - probably just doing mean as skids bro....

Seriously....

Have you recently changed the oil? Even if its a trusted brand you might have ended up with friction modifiers in the chain case... Not good... Alternately clutches do wear out so might be time for a strip and inspect with either new springs OR new plates or both...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Christ guys. The clutch got a tad hot, when it cooled down the problem went away.

Happens lots, don't worry about it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It has happened to me on a few of the bikes I've had over the years (including the FJ) ... usually 1st gear stop/start stuff when there is little opportunity for constant forward movement. It's a bit like brake pads after a long steep downhill run.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Christ guys. The clutch got a tad hot, when it cooled down the problem went away.

Happens lots, don't worry about it.
    Nail-Head. Carry on.

Thread Information