Thread: In the deep end (lukefrompalmy)

Bike
    yamaha srv250 1992

In the deep end (lukefrompalmy)

Hey guys, Ive been lurking on the forum for a month or so now so i thought i might as well actually participate by asking blindingly obvious questions that i cant find the answer for in the interwebs. Ive been toying around with the idea of getting a bike for the last few years (ive even read the rode code twice on two separate occasions and had a lesson) but never committed. now im going to uni next year and decided i need something to wizz around town and that i can take from Palmy back home to Masterton so I found my self a cheap project bike a 1992 SRV250 which has been in storage for over a year but the owner assured me that it runs, i just have to out it together. We will see! anyway be gentle on my cluelessness. Ill look everywhere else before posting my elementary questions on here! Its nice to find a community like this in NZ! oh and ill post photos if i can figure out how!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1481772196989.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	327007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1481773076272.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	327008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-12-01-09-31-11.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	327009  

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Don't be shy, ask away, you will get some Nongs give you shit, but perserver and you will get where you want to go. Looks like an interesting ride and it looks Ok form this angle.
    Enjoy the riding and the doing, welcome.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Its a Boat
    You'll get the odd (and I mean odd) appendage (sorry I mean ''member'') telling you to use the search function. Fact is though, it is best to have your own thread on questions for ease of reference. If you do use the search function, chances are the thread will be 3-4 years old and you'll get the same appendage (sorry, again I mean ''member'') have a crack for thread dredging.

Welcome to KB, where everyone gets a fair go.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Don't be shy, ask away, you will get some Nongs give you shit.
    That will never happen.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    I did wonder whether we might have seen that bike before
    In the optimistic sellers thread!..

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Hello. Welcome.

Unless the previous owner pays you to take that pile of shit away from his house don't buy it is my advice.

What you have to ask yourself is: "Do I want to be a rider, or a part time motorcycle mechanic?"

If you buy that collection of bits, it doesnt matter what the PO has told you, a private sale is one of the last unvarnished vestiges of "Caveat Emptor" - let the buyer beware. Unless you see and hear the thing running, you must assume it is not now and will never run again without a full rebuild.

Bear in mind too, that (and someone will correct me if I am wrong) the sort of licence Her Majesty the Queen will award you for your course of diligent study is a learner, then restricted, then full licence. You must have a LAMS compliant motorcycle. Any modified motorcycle is NOT LAMS compliant.

So, you have to get that POS, then put it together in stock form, then ride it and be disappointed, then fix it when it inevitably shits itself. My brother in law had one of those as a first bike. It was awful. Minimally less awful than a GN250 but still awful.

Don't go there girlfriend.

So, what should you do?

1. Decide how much money you want to spend.

2. Add fifty percent to that amount.

3. Go and price or buy all the OTHER shit you need to buy to be a motorcyclist. A decent helmet. full face. Two visors (one clear, one tinted). A proper motorcycle riding jacket. Some riding pants. BOOTS. ALWAYS WEAR BOOTS. and gloves. Always wear gloves. There are as many opinions on gear as there are arseholes. sometimes more. Personally, I always wear a leather jacket, helmet, gloves and boots but will quite often ride in jeans or riding jeans because comfort when I get where I am going. I also own a two piece set of zip together leathers, a fully mesh cordura summer jacket with zipout lining, and a set of race leathers. Gear you wear is pretty much always a trade off for function and safety against comfort. Obvs the "best" gear is a one piece Dainese or Alpinestars fully armoured race suit with D- Air and chest and back protection. Except if you have to do anything other than lap Philip Island as fast as you can go. For example: race suits don't have pockets and are hideously uncomfortable to walk in (they are cut to be comfortable in the "monkey humping a football" racing crouch). So yeah - gear - get some. Also think about if you need other shit like waterproof bags and stuff for commuting.

4. Look at a ton of bikes. Be wary buying second hand privately. See above. You have ZERO comeback if it turns out to be a complete pile of shit or it craps itself 50 metres down the road. Become familiar with the LAMS list. Decide how much money you want to spend. You can buy an $18k Ducati that is learner legal (one of the sprots bikes). Or a Harley ($12k out the door). Or a Triumph 660 Street Triple.

5. Decide what style of bike you want and your budget. (sports, naked*, ADV, cruiser).

6. Invest in some training if at all possible. Seriously cannot overstate this. I have been riding for 30+years and am still paying people to train me. I am still terrible but maybe better than I would be otherwise.

7. Buy a bike.

8. Welcome to a world of poverty and bullshit.

Put up some choices for us to pick holes in. Generally we wiull be nice.

*not what you'e thinking.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    You'll get the odd (and I mean odd) appendage (sorry I mean ''member'') telling you to use the search function. Fact is though, it is best to have your own thread on questions for ease of reference. If you do use the search function, chances are the thread will be 3-4 years old and you'll get the same appendage (sorry, again I mean ''member'') have a crack for thread dredging.

Welcome to KB, where everyone gets a fair go.
    I've seen your appendage. You should continue using the ointment till the rash disappears..
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Hello. Welcome.

Unless the previous owner pays you to take that pile of shit away from his house don't buy it is my advice.

What you have to ask yourself is: "Do I want to be a rider, or a part time motorcycle mechanic?"

If you buy that collection of bits, it doesnt matter what the PO has told you, a private sale is one of the last unvarnished vestiges of "Caveat Emptor" - let the buyer beware. Unless you see and hear the thing running, you must assume it is not now and will never run again without a full rebuild.

Bear in mind too, that (and someone will correct me if I am wrong) the sort of licence Her Majesty the Queen will award you for your course of diligent study is a learner, then restricted, then full licence. You must have a LAMS compliant motorcycle. Any modified motorcycle is NOT LAMS compliant.

So, you have to get that POS, then put it together in stock form, then ride it and be disappointed, then fix it when it inevitably shits itself. My brother in law had one of those as a first bike. It was awful. Minimally less awful than a GN250 but still awful.

Don't go there girlfriend.

So, what should you do?

1. Decide how much money you want to spend.

2. Add fifty percent to that amount.

3. Go and price or buy all the OTHER shit you need to buy to be a motorcyclist. A decent helmet. full face. Two visors (one clear, one tinted). A proper motorcycle riding jacket. Some riding pants. BOOTS. ALWAYS WEAR BOOTS. and gloves. Always wear gloves. There are as many opinions on gear as there are arseholes. sometimes more. Personally, I always wear a leather jacket, helmet, gloves and boots but will quite often ride in jeans or riding jeans because comfort when I get where I am going. I also own a two piece set of zip together leathers, a fully mesh cordura summer jacket with zipout lining, and a set of race leathers. Gear you wear is pretty much always a trade off for function and safety against comfort. Obvs the "best" gear is a one piece Dainese or Alpinestars fully armoured race suit with D- Air and chest and back protection. Except if you have to do anything other than lap Philip Island as fast as you can go. For example: race suits don't have pockets and are hideously uncomfortable to walk in (they are cut to be comfortable in the "monkey humping a football" racing crouch). So yeah - gear - get some. Also think about if you need other shit like waterproof bags and stuff for commuting.

4. Look at a ton of bikes. Be wary buying second hand privately. See above. You have ZERO comeback if it turns out to be a complete pile of shit or it craps itself 50 metres down the road. Become familiar with the LAMS list. Decide how much money you want to spend. You can buy an $18k Ducati that is learner legal (one of the sprots bikes). Or a Harley ($12k out the door). Or a Triumph 660 Street Triple.

5. Decide what style of bike you want and your budget. (sports, naked*, ADV, cruiser).

6. Invest in some training if at all possible. Seriously cannot overstate this. I have been riding for 30+years and am still paying people to train me. I am still terrible but maybe better than I would be otherwise.

7. Buy a bike.

8. Welcome to a world of poverty and bullshit.

Put up some choices for us to pick holes in. Generally we wiull be nice.

*not what you'e thinking.
    this....so much this....

unless you are already a qualified motorcycle mechanic with lots of spare time follow this gentleman's advice.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    this....so much this....

unless you are already a qualified motorcycle mechanic with lots of spare time follow this gentleman's advice.
    I also agree.

Bike
    wr450f
    unless you are already a qualified motorcycle mechanic with lots of spare time
    Those two things are mutually exclusive..
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    this....so much this....

Im thinking he has already bought it.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lukefrompalmy View Post
    Hey guys, Ive been lurking on the forum for a month or so now so i thought i might as well actually participate by asking blindingly obvious questions that i cant find the answer for in the interwebs. Ive been toying around with the idea of getting a bike for the last few years (ive even read the rode code twice on two separate occasions and had a lesson) but never committed. now im going to uni next year and decided i need something to wizz around town and that i can take from Palmy back home to Masterton so I found my self a cheap project bike a 1992 SRV250 which has been in storage for over a year but the owner assured me that it runs, i just have to out it together. We will see! anyway be gentle on my cluelessness. Ill look everywhere else before posting my elementary questions on here! Its nice to find a community like this in NZ! oh and ill post photos if i can figure out how!
    shit's fokken sikk cunt. good on you for not being a cock rash and rashing up the internet.

"project" bikes are not good first bikes.
    i think HDC touched on this but fucked if i can be bothered reading anyone elses shit.

asides from that,welsome to the world of 2 wheels. dont forget to pull fokken sikk wheelies.

Thread Information