Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarification on bike setup rules?

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    As for if the bike is race ready well, its a bit rough in some places. And I didnt get any history or anything with it, apart from the fact it has number 98 painted on it (white background, black numbers) and that it came from up north somewhere, maybe rotorua?
    Should be the other way round for a 400, black background, white numbers.

What I did was go to a shop that does labeling for cars and bought a bit square of black sticker stuff, cut out some number sized sections then went to Budget MC spares to get the white numbers at the very reasonable fee of $1 each.

Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    Join CAMS, we are relaxed, very safety conscious and fun oriented. Looking after members fun and safety is paramount without being too anal. We will look after you
    +1, I started out racing with CAMS, great bunch (except for Ellipsis who's a degenerate hell bent on rooting everyone's Missus). Considering you have a pre '89 bike they're a good start.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Yep, join the local club and have a wander around the next race meeting in your 'hood. get there early and watch what everyone is doing etc. Sign on, gear check and bike check. You may well find someone you know there too.

Lock wire and lock wire pliers are available from www.torpedo7.co.nz or go see Dennis C at Budget M/C spares if you are in Chch.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post

Lock wire and lock wire pliers are available from www.torpedo7.co.nz or go see Dennis C at Budget M/C spares if you are in Chch.

...it's been one of the must haves that I haven't ever had in the last thirty years of wanting some...any twists seemed to be sorted by someone who has a pair of them appearing out of left field and saying, 'here, use these'...or just the old set of pliers...must get some...

Bike
    Yo momma
    , I dont have any mates that race bikes,
    That won't last. Some of the best mates I have are from motorbike racing.

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30
    There is no belly pan rule in Chapter 10 (Motorcycles technical and stuff that applies to all classes) or Chapter 17 (Post classics). There is for Appendix A Superlite.
    This was my understanding as well
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Interesting malcy, I take it.that means I dont need a belly pan if I do only pre 89?
    Could be smart to stick to that class only till I get the feel for it, and save spending coin on fairings for a while.
    Make one, it's not that hard. Use cardboard, tape and bog to get the shape then a couple of layers of glass and you're golden.

I highly recommend using an enclosed belly pan. It stopped me being that guy one year at Paeroa when a conrod and a whole lot of oil exited the block on the fastest part of the hacksaw circuit. Without the belly pan the meeting would've been stopped for a long time.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    yeah i dont wanna be the guy that dumps oil everywhere!

I looked on torpedo7, and found these https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/...FY8IKgoduCoA8Q but they are instore only at 3 north island locations.

Id rather buy in NZ but fuckall places have them advertised. anywhere else NZ based that sells 'em online? or a supplier in Dunedin?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post

I highly recommend using an enclosed belly pan. It stopped me being that guy one year at Paeroa when a conrod and a whole lot of oil exited the block on the fastest part of the hacksaw circuit. Without the belly pan the meeting would've been stopped for a long time.
    ...I have been an advocate for classics to use belly pans for a while...I have one hanging under my Velocette even though some 'purists', have commented that I have detracted from the aesthetics of the era...so what, it stops the inevitable drips or with some classics , deluge of oil on the track...I would be super fucked off if I was to be the cause of an off in another race...seems to fall on deaf ears though...I did notice a lot of foam wired to the bottom rails of the frame on some classics recently, but why not go the whole hog and put a pan there instead...mine is detached in less than a minute if need be...

Bike
    yeah i dont wanna be the guy that dumps oil everywhere!

I looked on torpedo7, and found these https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/...FY8IKgoduCoA8Q but they are instore only at 3 north island locations.

Id rather buy in NZ but fuckall places have them advertised. anywhere else NZ based that sells 'em online? or a supplier in Dunedin?
    Err, they ARE an NZ based ONLINE and retail company, based in Hamilton. They are in fact mostly or fully owned by the Warehouse. Bizarre they don't mail order that item. Wonder if they only have store stock. Ring one of the stores and see if they mail order it to you.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...I have been an advocate for classics to use belly pans for a while...I have one hanging under my Velocette even though some 'purists', have commented that I have detracted from the aesthetics of the era...so what, it stops the inevitable drips or with some classics , deluge of oil on the track...I would be super fucked off if I was to be the cause of an off in another race...seems to fall on deaf ears though...I did notice a lot of foam wired to the bottom rails of the frame on some classics recently, but why not go the whole hog and put a pan there instead...mine is detached in less than a minute if need be...
    yeah, looked at doing an undertray on a couple of big posties. Difficult with the sheer area to cover plus a pipe running through there too.
    Won't do it until the rules compel me to.

My last manx - MANY years back - had a 3 piece fairing which clipped onto the front downtubes and under the engine too.
    Simple to cut a piece of inch foam and run it from the front lower crosstube to under the gearbox, using the fairing and some wire to hold it in place.
    Probably tidied the aero up a bit too.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Err, they ARE an NZ based ONLINE and retail company, based in Hamilton. They are in fact mostly or fully owned by the Warehouse. Bizarre they don't mail order that item. Wonder if they only have store stock. Ring one of the stores and see if they mail order it to you.
    Yep, I realise they are in NZ, but being in the lower south, its a long way to drive to pickup from the store, and ive tried a few shops that do tools, and nobody else seems to carry them.

I might call them tomorrow and see if they can work something out.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Most you find are bigger and made for other applications, but those small ones are perfect for a bike. I've got those exact ones and quite a few people have asked where I got them.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    Most you find are bigger and made for other applications, but those small ones are perfect for a bike. I've got those exact ones and quite a few people have asked where I got them.
    after having called 3 different stores who were no help at all, the K road store was able to sort out an order over the phone to post directly to me, in about 3 minutes flat.
    I guess you just have to get a person who cares about doing their job eh?.

Should have them in a day or two.

Bike
    after having called 3 different stores who were no help at all, the K road store was able to sort out an order over the phone to post directly to me, in about 3 minutes flat.
    I guess you just have to get a person who cares about doing their job eh?.

Should have them in a day or two.
    Christ that's "service" for you! Good job you stuck it out - one of my all time favourite tools.

Thread Information