Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on bike setup rules?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

Clarification on bike setup rules?

Hey folks. Ive just gone and bought myself a race bike to give this thing a go, and before I turn up to a track, witha shiny new licence in hand, Id like to make extra sure, I turn up with a machine that meets the requirements.

Ive had a bit of a read though the documents on MNZ's website for bikes. Mine is a 1989 cbr 400, and Im thinking about cross entering superlite, and Pre '89 F3 to increase the amount of time I get out there.

Ive had a few people on another american based site see photos of my bike, and ask about belly pans - over there it seems that all bikes must have a belly pan that os fully enclosed at the bottom - I couldn't see that explicitly mentioned anywhere, an I wondered if I have missed it? or are fluid spill related concerns covered by the regulations around a catch can, that all overflow hoses etc must be directed into?

Also, it looks like superlite and pre '89 F3 have different tyre rules - if one was racing both classes, I assume I would need to run two sets of rims, and switch rims with the appropriate tyres between class races?

with modifications, I assume I would need to refer to the more stringent ruleset relating to pre '89 F3 regarding modifications, if I wanted to stay eligible for both? I just want to clarify - it seems like modifications are fine, as long as they are period correct - e.g., I could put the forks and brakes off a 1989 cbr 600 on my bike if I wanted to, bot not the forks and brakes off a 1990 cbr600. (im not planning any big mods or anything, just seek clarification here)

one last one for now - my biek came with slicks on it. Im used to road tyres having stuff like 120 / 70 / 17 or whatever, I noticed these slicks have 155 / 635 / 18, and 125 / 600 / 17. - does the 600 and the 635 refer to compound? I thought the second number related to the height of a tyre, for road tyres at least?

Im sure I will come up with a bunch of other retarded questions, but these few should do for now.

Appreciate any advice I can get, Id hate to turn up and get told to fuck off because I rocked up with a death trap!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

Also, it looks like superlite and pre '89 F3 have different tyre rules - if one was racing both classes, I assume I would need to run two sets of rims, and switch rims with the appropriate tyres between class races?

!
    should be same slicks for both classes?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    JW - i just looked again, looks like you might be right?

Also looks like there is mention of a belly pan with a capacity of 3.5 litres for 4 strokes.
    Well thats a fuckin pain, I hadn't anticipated having to buy a whole set of fairings!

Bike
    ZXR400 race bike #20, KTM sx-f250
    Yep, slicks fine for both. You basically have the gist of the pre 89 rules also. As for the belly pan - if you don't wanna buy new fairings then just tape some cardboard in there, fiberglass over it then remove.
    Kindly sponsored by:

CCL Communications[CENTER]
    Cycletreads

divide interior design

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Why not head over to the MNZ site where the rules are made,might save you a lot of time.
    You have decided on a class to have a go in and probably you have that right ? You can't go far wrong in F3 or pro twin or whatever.

Bike prep used to be (old days here) wire a few things and safety wise, wof standard.But like everything, shit like belly pans is in there now.

Might save a bit of skin and heartache if you just thro on Supercorsas to start,probably won't get anywhere near the limits of them anyway.
    I went out after a 15 year break to have a go again in a local winter series in 2006 and found so much had changed (tyres mainly). I used sport road tyres lol.
    My advice just get out there and get the VISA ready ,you'll need it.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Tiger 1050/ Racing Sidecar/KX450F

one last one for now - my biek came with slicks on it. Im used to road tyres having stuff like 120 / 70 / 17 or whatever, I noticed these slicks have 155 / 635 / 18, and 125 / 600 / 17. - does the 600 and the 635 refer to compound? I thought the second number related to the height of a tyre, for road tyres at least?
    the 600 & 635 refer to the rolling diameter of the tyre rather than the height like road tyres.
    No Bull Sheds F1 Sidecar Team - Proudly supported by:

No Bull Sheds - Putoline Oils - Shoei Helmets - Raecin Motorsport - Mad Graphics

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I'd be more inclined to join the club your going to race in and ask them.
    When I was building my bike for Classic Racing I probably overthought it.
    I've yet to see anyone make a big deal out of things like " you've got a later part on your bike" ( maybe because I'm at the back of the field ) might be different at the sharp end.
    Have fun.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Hey folks. Ive just gone and bought myself a race bike to give this thing a go, and before I turn up to a track, witha shiny new licence in hand, Id like to make extra sure, I turn up with a machine that meets the requirements.

Ive had a bit of a read though the documents on MNZ's website for bikes. Mine is a 1989 cbr 400, and Im thinking about cross entering superlite, and Pre '89 F3 to increase the amount of time I get out there.

Ive had a few people on another american based site see photos of my bike, and ask about belly pans - over there it seems that all bikes must have a belly pan that os fully enclosed at the bottom - I couldn't see that explicitly mentioned anywhere, an I wondered if I have missed it? or are fluid spill related concerns covered by the regulations around a catch can, that all overflow hoses etc must be directed into?

with modifications, I assume I would need to refer to the more stringent ruleset relating to pre '89 F3 regarding modifications, if I wanted to stay eligible for both? I just want to clarify - it seems like modifications are fine, as long as they are period correct - e.g., I could put the forks and brakes off a 1989 cbr 600 on my bike if I wanted to, bot not the forks and brakes off a 1990 cbr600. (im not planning any big mods or anything, just seek clarification here)

Im sure I will come up with a bunch of other retarded questions, but these few should do for now.

Appreciate any advice I can get, Id hate to turn up and get told to fuck off because I rocked up with a death trap!
    As Roogazza says, have a good read on the MNZ website of the FULL rule Book. I had a guy a while back who copped a lot of heat, because of what he was trying to do was well buggered up, but by his own admission he only read the stuff he thought he needed to read....and missed a lot of important stuff. He still couldn't work out his error when it was pointed out that the whole MNZ rule book applies, not just the sections he decided to read...

There are varying rules on belly pans between different classes, but if there is a class it is not required for and you do use one, it's a good thing.

Those tyres will be Bridgestones and the 600 or 635 are not a aspect ratio number like a 60 or 70, I think more a rolling dia number. Most tyre charts will have a rolling dia measurement for their tyres so easy to match off.

There are no tyre differences Pre 89 and Superlite both allow slicks, wets etc. But do think about what tyres will be best for YOU. DOT treads may be far more useful and more confidence inspiring in terms of feel and feedback. There are limited options for 18 inch race tyres these days. Alpha 13 dunlops http://www.forbesanddavies.co.nz/pro...0s-superbikes/
    there is a 150/60HR18 rear and Bridgestone do a BT090 I think. Otherwise you may need to go 17 and fix ride height.

Watch out for the Postie rules - for obvious reasons, they are aged based so you can't just sling on the latest shiny shit where major components are concerned (including radial mastercylinders, calipers etc). Again, read the rule book and ask in doubt. yes you can swap major components for other pre 89 bike parts (ie forks as you mentioned, except for ZXR400 USD forks can only be used on a ZXR) or other generic period go fast items

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    The best part about the MNZ rule book are the spelling mistakes that make some fairly key rules complete gibberish.

It'll bite MNZ in the ass someday, but until then everyone is suppose to just 'know what they mean'.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Yea I had a hunt around online but can only find new fibreglass fairings for the nc23. If anyone knows of any second han ones, id love to know . . .

If I join, say cams, am I limited to racing at only.events they run, or can I.enter whatever I want as long.as I.have the appropriate mnz kicence and a membership with a club?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Overthinking the process is quite natural, it's part of the trepidation and excitement of joining in the funnest and best sport to be involved in. Any belly pan that 'fits', can be adapted to the requirements. The club you join will be very helpful I bet. Good luck, and joyful racing.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Yea I had a hunt around online but can only find new fibreglass fairings for the nc23. If anyone knows of any second han ones, id love to know . . .

If I join, say cams, am I limited to racing at only.events they run, or can I.enter whatever I want as long.as I.have the appropriate mnz kicence and a membership with a club?
    You can race with any club and the clubs don't punish you with higher entry fees for being a member of another club.

I have some fairings for a CBR250 at a mates house in Auckland. They're a bit rough but MAY fit, anyone know?

I also felt as you do when I first started racing (it's quite daunting), it becomes easy after a few meets, make sure you start with the simple stuff like doing the lockwire, shark fin etc. If it's already running slicks it's probably ready to race already anyways but check everything. Bleed the brakes with new fluid and check that they release properly, had massive issues with my NC24 dragging the front brake in my first few meetings, cocked me up big time.

I think the belly pan rule only came in recently for pre '89, definitely worth sorting out though as that kind of stuff is important to event organisers.

New Fibreglass fairings will be the go, problem is you're going to bin it a few time as you learn so no doubt don't want to get some sexy fairings only to munt them. Simple fact is racing costs money, you'll end up sinking lots into it but it is SO worth it!

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    I think the belly pan rule only came in recently for pre '89, definitely worth sorting out though as that kind of stuff is important to event organisers.
    There is no belly pan rule in Chapter 10 (Motorcycles technical and stuff that applies to all classes) or Chapter 17 (Post classics). There is for Appendix A Superlite.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Interesting malcy, I take it.that means I dont need a belly pan if I do only pre 89?
    Could be smart to stick to that class only till I get the feel for it, and save spending coin on fairings for a while.

Yes it certainly is daunting, I dont have any mates that race bikes,.and theres no really good write ups I can find,.about how to do it all, seems like you just have to hunt oit the info and muddle through on your own.

As for if the bike is race ready well, its a bit rough in some places. And I didnt get any history or anything with it, apart from the fact it has number 98 painted on it (white background, black numbers) and that it came from up north somewhere, maybe rotorua?

Im hunting now for.someone that sells lockwire pliers as I will redo all that stuff myself to get more acquainted with the bike

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Join CAMS, we are relaxed, very safety conscious and fun oriented. Looking after members fun and safety is paramount without being too anal. We will look after you

Thread Information