Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collarbone planes & screws

Bike
    bike

Collarbone planes & screws

I broke my collarbone recently and had a hardware plate and some screws put in. It's now healed and I am able to surgically remove the items if I want to.

They are usually removed if causing discomfort or pain, but if I'm prone to breaking the same bone again, should I; to be on the safe side, get it removed? So they don't twist around during another collarbone brake and damage some nerves or something. (removing them may also damage some things (uncommon))

Bike
    Exercycle
    My limited understanding of it is that if you break the bone again while the hardware is still attatched, worse damage can be expected.

I'd have it removed - and look at shoulder armour for your leathers.

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Riding motorbikes I always get the plate/screws removed (on my 3rd broken collarbone at the moment). The plate is a lot stronger than the bone so if you have an accident the plate comes away relatively fine, but the bone at the ends of the plate it turns into a nightmare. The worst possible place to break a clavicle is at the outer end, near or in the joint, which is pretty much where the end of the plate is. If it breaks too near the joint they can't fix it surgically and you just have to put up with months as an invalid.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Various things
    Yeah get 'em out. The only screws I left in are in my right ankle. About to have this done to me shoulder too. Race bikes they said, it'll be fun they said! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latarjet.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	335199

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Race bikes they said, it'll be fun they said! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latarjet.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	335199
    Yep it's a mugs game...

and a shit load of fun if you don't fuck yourself up too badly.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    My limited understanding of it is that if you break the bone again while the hardware is still attatched, worse damage can be expected.

I'd have it removed - and look at shoulder armour for your leathers.
    What he said. Horhay broke his and had it plated (Assen) rode, rode the next meeting and banged it up again.....I believe it was not so funny the next time....

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Get the metalware removed there's lots of scenarios of what can happen if it's left in place and most don't have pleasant results and the cure for these can be a lot worse for your body
    In short get it out of there to save any possible hassles down the track

Slighty different to a collar bone but:

That broke and started to work loose and as a side benefit started to poison me & meant a whole shitload of harsh medicines to remedy the situation

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    If it' a hook plate I.e. at the end, you'll know about it and the relief when it' gone is like a dull ache gone and you can sleep on that side. Bliss.

But yeah the screw holes are still holes. That part is still weak. Once gone they will fill in over a few months apparently. I asked if they could wrap the structure in carbon sheet but blah blah, details,
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    If it' a hook plate I.e. at the end, you'll know about it and the relief when it' gone is like a dull ache gone and you can sleep on that side. Bliss.

But yeah the screw holes are still holes. That part is still weak. Once gone they will fill in over a few months apparently. I asked if they could wrap the structure in carbon sheet but blah blah, details,
    Back when I was a kid and fiberglass was new to the market, we as a family were into boatbuilding....A mate of the old man's was a leading orthopod in ChCh and got interested in using 'glass as bone reinforcing. Once he realised just how toxic the resins were he backed away quickly.
    I've read that there is still research going on to find a resin the body will tolerate. One day....

Bike
    Yo momma
    One day....
    Roger Fitch, ONE DAY!!!!!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Roger Fitch, ONE DAY!!!!!
    Of all the memories to cling to when you moved.......

Bike
    Yo momma
    Of all the memories to cling to when you moved.......
    Sad innit...

Bike
    R1200GSA
    a very good mate of mine is an orthopaedic surgeon, apparently ceramics are a point of interest for them uns in that field, more so for joint replacement at this point. Very spendy as well, when a surgeon says that you know its serious!

On a slightly different tack, he was commenting recently on the number of motorcyclists he sees as part of his practice who are very fucked up because they didn't wear proper gear, some were just there for his bone mending skills but mostly the unfortunates were also looking at skin grafts and procedures trying to do something about all the soft tissue loss (muscle mass etc). Nothing makes you bullet proof but if the repair man says good gear gives you more of a chance, who am I to argue?
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by kawa64 View Post
    I broke my collarbone recently and had a hardware plate and some screws put in. It's now healed and I am able to surgically remove the items if I want to.

They are usually removed if causing discomfort or pain, but if I'm prone to breaking the same bone again, should I; to be on the safe side, get it removed? So they don't twist around during another collarbone brake and damage some nerves or something. (removing them may also damage some things (uncommon))
    That's fantastic news hearing that you are all healed and fixed up. My missus is a nurse and says: If you an oldie and going to take care of yourself, the plates add strength to the joint and will help.

However if you are still doing what originally caused the injury and there is a reasonable chance it might happen again; get the plates taken out, so that your body can cope as best as it can, naturally. The plate will almost guarantee additional damage, which is best avoided.

Bike
    bike
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Get the metalware removed there's lots of scenarios of what can happen if it's left in place and most don't have pleasant results and the cure for these can be a lot worse for your body
    In short get it out of there to save any possible hassles down the track

Slighty different to a collar bone but:

That broke and started to work loose and as a side benefit started to poison me & meant a whole shitload of harsh medicines to remedy the situation

Damn that looks horrific, what caused it? Also you had the hardware removed after healed?

Thread Information