Thread: Another new guy here to bug you all and ask silly questions! (CJR)

Bike
    2015, Yamaha R3

Another new guy here to bug you all and ask silly questions! (CJR)

Hi everyone!

Name is Chris, I'm in Christchurch.

Licence: Full Car, Learners Motocycle
    Bike: Don't have one yet, looking at a new Ninja 300

I used to ride a Suzuki A50 to school every day when I was younger, had that thing for probably five years. Then, as I lived in Blenheim I sold it and put the funds towards a car so I cold exit Blenheim. Basically had cars ever since. I woke up about a month ago and thought, "Why don't I ride anymore?!" that day I booked in my BHS with the Dan Ornsby fellas and bought some gear (Alpine Stars two-piece textile), a few days later I showed up at Ruapuna looking like a noob in my new two-piece and sweating like a fat kid trying to deny he ate the last cookie on what appeared to be a track day. So as I showed up a good 30 minutes early, I made my way to the pit-wall and watched some more experienced riders tackle the track my grin getting bigger and cheesier each lap they passed in-front of me. Way out of my current ability, but inspiring none-the-less!

I booked in for two hours as I hadn't been on a bike for 10+ years, it took me about five minutes to get comfortable with the bike and time flew by. I didn't drop the bike or break anything and ended up passing with just three errors. Honestly can't recommend Dan Ornsbys outfit enough. It was Peter that I dealt with and his communication, time management and ability to pass-on some of his experience was top notch.

Sat the 35 questions after waiting in line at AA for about 106 hours, and passed happily. To celebrate I headed down to a local bike shop to size-up a Ninja 300 (online reviews of the Ninjas-past had me worried that I might look like a dork on one at over six foot in height) and was pleasantly surprised to find the bike was bigger than I had actually expected. After sitting on it for a few minutes I think I'm sold on it as a first bike. I also bought a helmet while I was there, with brief sizing advice I found a good fit in a style and colour I liked.

Then I went home, looked my truck (a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT) that I've had on TradeMe for awhile with no bites and dropped the price a bit hoping it'd provide the funds I need (hasn't sold yet, anyone want to buy it?) to get that bike!

Since then I've been reading forum posts, watching youtube videos, and waiting patiently for my 'first ride day' to come. Honestly cannot wait to get back onto two wheels, I'll mainly be commuting (a short 3km ride) six days a week and hopefully heading out for longer rides on Sundays or Evenings.

Look forward to meeting some of you out there!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Welcome.

That Peter guy is dodgy. He will pass anybody with doughnuts.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Welcome to the forum!

The Ninja 300 is a great little learner bike. But the LAMS scheme gives you a lot of options, if you can, test ride (or at least sit) a few others, don't get fixated on one before you've shopped around a bit.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Welcome Chris...going to see Dan and the Do-nut connoisseur is probably the best start you could make in your new adventure...

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Cool

The 300 Ninja is learner focused & a good starter for the price. The Yamaha R3 is probably the closest alternative in that size & price range but also has a gear indicator.

You can also get a 650 Ninja detuned for LAMS approval if you wanted something bigger, however it does cost a few thousand more.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Welcome to the forum fellow churchur citizen! Pete is a great guy, very well known around here too.

Welcome!

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2015, Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

The Ninja 300 is a great little learner bike. But the LAMS scheme gives you a lot of options, if you can, test ride (or at least sit) a few others, don't get fixated on one before you've shopped around a bit.
    I've been and sat on an R3 (2015) and a CBR500 (2013, I think) since then and I'm still leaning towards the Ninja. I've always liked Kawasaki and buying new (while many suggest it's cheaper/better to go used as a learner) is just something I prefer, plus colour-matching gear, ya`know.

Bike
    Welcome Chris... Dan and Pete are always keen on helping I've got my license last month and they always do some 4 hr to 8 hr cruise rides which is a great opportunity to polish your skills...
    Go cheap if it's just 3Km ride. You can't go wrong with them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thread Information