Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're a dirty bunch

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

We're a dirty bunch

Took the opportunity with few days off work to give my bike jacket it's annual wash. For shits and giggles I captured the wash water as it exited the washing machine. The photo is what a year of road dirt and exhaust fumes looks like on a 'ride to work every day' biker.
    I guess we really are a dirty bunch...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4888.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	677.7 KB 
ID:	327372  
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    A
    That clean jacket will be a touch lighter to wear now I bet...

Yes I must admit I'm often surprised at how much crap comes off a set of bike gear, even when I've spent days on end in the rain...I mean that's like a natural wash'n'rinse cycle isn't it??

Bike
    gsx250
    Did you do a gentle wash or normal? I should probably wash mine for the first time in years. Might hand wash and see where that gets me.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    Did you do a gentle wash or normal? I should probably wash mine for the first time in years. Might hand wash and see where that gets me.

I used to hand wash as we had a top loader machine until a few months ago when we bought a front loader (Front loaders are better cleaners and more gentle ... no agitator). The wash cycle on the Samsung front loader was 'Outdoor Care' which is designed for mountain clothes, ski wear and sports wear.

Important to use the right detergent for the product. I use NikWax TechWash (for waterproof textiles). http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/nikwax-tech-wash.html I get mine from a local bike spares shop but you can pick it up from outdoors shops too like Kathmandu.

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I used to hand wash as we had a top loader machine until a few months ago when we bought a front loader (Front loaders are better cleaners and more gentle ... no agitator). The wash cycle on the Samsung front loader was 'Outdoor Care' which is designed for mountain clothes, ski wear and sports wear.

Important to use the right detergent for the product. I use NikWax TechWash (for waterproof textiles). http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/nikwax-tech-wash.html I get mine from a local bike spares shop but you can pick it up from outdoors shops too like Kathmandu.
    Thanks. We have an old as top loader where I'm living so hand washing it is. I'll get the detergent too. I was originally going to use ordinary washing powder.

Bike
    Thanks. We have an old as top loader where I'm living so hand washing it is. I'll get the detergent too. I was originally going to use ordinary washing powder.

If your jacket has it, don't forget to take your liner and any armour out befiore washing.

Bike
    gsx250
    That's a good point. I was just going to chuck it all in the sink and wash it

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    That's a good point. I was just going to chuck it all in the sink and wash it
    If you can use a bath even better - warm water and leave the jacket to soak for a while then rinse...

and you might need to clean the bath after as well.

Bike
    Took the opportunity with few days off work to give my bike jacket it's annual wash. For shits and giggles I captured the wash water as it exited the washing machine. The photo is what a year of road dirt and exhaust fumes looks like on a 'ride to work every day' biker.
    I guess we really are a dirty bunch...
    Just think about what the nasal hairs catch...

Bike
    gsx250
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    If you can use a bath even better - warm water and leave the jacket to soak for a while then rinse...

and you might need to clean the bath after as well.
    I have a bath. I never use it so it'll be the first time it's been cleaned thoroughly in a long time

Bike
    If you can use a bath even better - warm water and leave the jacket to soak for a while then rinse... l.
    Good idea! ... but yes, a severe cleaning of the bath would probably be required later

Just think about what the nasal hairs catch...
    Yeah, been trying not to think how much of that has made it's way to my lungs.

Bike
    I have a bath. I never use it so it'll be the first time it's been cleaned thoroughly in a long time.
    Last time I did my jacket I gently pummeled the jacket in the water first and then left it to soak for a while then a bit more of a pummel and shake about in the water... pulled the plug and let the tar coloured water go down the drain, used the hand shower thing to rinse the jacket and then repeated the process. Took a full day to dry properly, especially the permanent lining...

Yeah, been trying not to think how much of that has made it's way to my lungs.
    Good bushy nasal hairs solve that problem...

Bike
    Yo momma
    A laundry thread...Is this the future of KB???

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    A laundry thread...Is this the future of KB???
    Actually, a thread for old men discussing over exuberant nasal hair - of course, all in code...

wanna join?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I wear my bike gear for work, so it's maybe 35 hours a week.

What stops me washing it more often is the pain in the arse getting the knee armour in and out.

Great gear, but a pita to wash.

Thread Information