Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: NOT GOOD, Worst deaths in 19 years

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Maybe a lot of guys have given up group riding because of the associated pressure to "keep up"
    No ... it's more a self preservation thing.The ability (read desire) of some to "Keep up" is only one factor in group rides .. the plain lack of ability of some is evident when they attempt to emulate the faster/skilled riders. And a desire to be (among) the first "there" usually overrides commonsense and consideration for the other riders. Poor overtaking and cornering skills often lead to collisions or rapid evasive outmaneuvers by some innocent (and often less skilled) members of the group. Following too closely is another common issue of some.

Many will not ride in groups unless they know and trust the other riders.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    As I have said before with the accidents I have been in caused by others ...
    By "caused by others" do you mean you were in the right or had right of way .. and thus free of danger. So you could then relax and enjoy your ride .. ???

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    As I have said before with the accidents I have been in caused by others there has not been any time to brake or swerve or suss out an "escape" either to use your terminology. Maybe they need to offer an incentive like 1/2 price registration to get people like me motivated but I have read they are not interested in offering riding school incentives because going to a riding school can make you "over confident".
    ACC pay the bulk of Ride Forever fees. We pay pay $50 for a whole day, Bronze, the first level is $25. Go on, be a devil. Take advantage of it, do a day with them and give us some honest, I mean honest, feed back.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Maybe they need to offer an incentive like 1/2 price registration to get people like me motivated but I have read they are not interested in offering riding school incentives because going to a riding school can make you "over confident".
    Your past record of crashes should be motivation enough to look for courses that could help you I would have thought. Not just rider skills training, but discussion on what happened .. and what you could have done/seen prior that ... that might have made it a non event.

Somebody else's fault mentality is head in the sand thinking.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Head in the sand thinking is believing there will always be time to avoid another motorists screw up. Believe that at your peril.
    So with the amount of crashes you have had, you still don't think you have a problem?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    . I often wonder why those who do not like my posts waste their time responding.
    because you are a FUCKING IDIOT and letting your horseshit stand unchallenged, in a public forum where new or inexperienced riders might not be able to determine it for what it is, is frankly dangerous, and a disservice to road safety (=point of thread)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    But I do wonder how many road victims thought processes don't get to enage that far, just fear and panic braking only.....road....
    target fixation. and shit. and it's why we now have ABS... apparently teaching people to drive was never going to happen so they just make the vehicles m0ar id10t proof.

fucking queer feeling, having a brake pedal not connected to anything other than a computer to decide how much braking i want... icky.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    But earlier posts I was rubbished for not keeping an eye out for potential dangerous situations and now I have given an example of keeping an eye on a hazard I still get rubbished.
    errrr. perhaps because when you identified the hazard (miracles do happen!) you did possibly the exact wrong thing?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Head in the sand thinking is believing there will always be time to avoid another motorists screw up. Believe that at your peril.
    With the "contacts" I've had in the past with other vehicles ... I have afterwards surmised that I should have taken different actions prior to said "contacts ... but made decisions I thought were appropriate. In hindsight they were not.

In such circumstances ... knowing all your options is beneficial in making the correct decision. Many training courses include classroom type training explaining the "what if" situations that riders can find themselves in. This includes things as simple as watching the roadside verges for stray sheep (or dogs) ... not taking right hand blind bends close to (or over) the center line. Even to imagining what the worst thing any vehicle you can see will do ... because as some stage (maybe) they will.

Often by simply increasing the following distance of other vehicles by another second ... can give you more time to react to an issue. Any vehicle within 50 meters ahead or behind you and getting closer can be a threat to you. At some stage ... one of those vehicles will do something stupid/unexpected.

I admit that enough time to avoid ALL contacts is not always possible ... but reducing the damage (or probability) can only help.

Bike
    A
    The more positive approach might be to at least try to evade someone else's screw up which requires a bit of training might also require an admission that one might not already know it all

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    because you are a FUCKING IDIOT and letting your horseshit stand unchallenged, in a public forum where new or inexperienced riders might not be able to determine it for what it is, is frankly dangerous, and a disservice to road safety (=point of thread)
    Damn you Akz,thank you for pointing out the blindinglybloody obvious.
    This is why even with cassina on ignore I follow what is said in threads where he/she is.
    To make absolutely sure there is someone there who DOES challenge their warped and dangerous advice to anyone ( let alone new riders) who might by äccident"(see what I did there?) think he/she could possibly be right.
    Agian I see, no time. make it!
    Again I see, "someone else's fault"'. No, yours for not keping eyes and ears open! You'd rather be right and DEAD. Than do something pro active that you shouldn't have to do and be ALIVE. fool.
    Again I see, "Fear"" yours not anyone elses!
    For Gods sake people. See this person for what they are.
    Incompetence, offering unacceptably bad advice to new riders and going unchallenged/questioned here in KB is tantamount to allowing people to go out and get killed on the roads, because we didn't bring this idiot to bear.
    cassina, do one of two things.

Go to as many riding coures as you can. and maybe, just maybe someone there might get you to understand how to do it all with confidnece and not crash.

Or and this is the option I prefer, just go away and never offer another poor sap bad advice that could and would get them killed on an open road if they followed your school of thought.

By the way a small group of friends, my wife and I have just completed over 1400K's in the last week in the lower North Island and enjoyed evey minute of it in each others company riding in all conditions, weather and traffic.
    We enjoyed the experience individually and as a group and I can tell you, we will do it again and we'll happily take anyone else who wants to come with us and as we always do, we'll allow a less confident rider the option to ride in front of our TEC at their comfortable speed, whatever that is, we also quietly offer advice and talk at length about different scenarios we have encountered in a days ride, this occurs in all group rides that I've ever been involved with.
    There were 3 Litre plus bikes a 650 an 800 and a 250cc machine and we all had a bloody good time, this is what motorcycling is actually about, riding confidently, carefully,acquiring experience and applying that to your situation, getting to your destination and telling huge bullshits about what you did all day with your mates.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Good post caseye
    Look, I try to stay out of these threads, as my own riding skill/level is average IMO.
    But I did ride my bro i laws crusier today, after doing a bit of work on it for him.

My first reaction/comment to myself was that cruisers don,t respond as quickly to your input/thought approach as I would like.

Which got me thinking, (a rarity I know), What % of accidents involving road registered bikes are actually cruisers.
    I'm not slagging the bikes, or those who choose to ride them, just interested.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    My first reaction/comment to myself was that cruisers don,t respond as quickly to your input/thought approach as I would like.
    couple that with ageing riders who don't respond as quickly.........

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Damn you Akz,thank you for pointing out the blindinglybloody obvious.
    This is why even with cassina on ignore I follow what is said in threads where he/she is.
    To make absolutely sure there is someone there who DOES challenge their warped and dangerous advice to anyone ( let alone new riders) who might by äccident"(see what I did there?) think he/she could possibly be right.
    Agian I see, no time. make it!
    Again I see, "someone else's fault"'. No, yours for not keping eyes and ears open! You'd rather be right and DEAD. Than do something pro active that you shouldn't have to do and be ALIVE. fool.
    Again I see, "Fear"" yours not anyone elses!
    For Gods sake people. See this person for what they are.
    Incompetence, offering unacceptably bad advice to new riders and going unchallenged/questioned here in KB is tantamount to allowing people to go out and get killed on the roads, because we didn't bring this idiot to bear.
    cassina, do one of two things.

Go to as many riding coures as you can. and maybe, just maybe someone there might get you to understand how to do it all with confidnece and not crash.

Or and this is the option I prefer, just go away and never offer another poor sap bad advice that could and would get them killed on an open road if they followed your school of thought.

By the way a small group of friends, my wife and I have just completed over 1400K's in the last week in the lower North Island and enjoyed evey minute of it in each others company riding in all conditions, weather and traffic.
    We enjoyed the experience individually and as a group and I can tell you, we will do it again and we'll happily take anyone else who wants to come with us and as we always do, we'll allow a less confident rider the option to ride in front of our TEC at their comfortable speed, whatever that is, we also quietly offer advice and talk at length about different scenarios we have encountered in a days ride, this occurs in all group rides that I've ever been involved with.
    There were 3 Litre plus bikes a 650 an 800 and a 250cc machine and we all had a bloody good time, this is what motorcycling is actually about, riding confidently, carefully,acquiring experience and applying that to your situation, getting to your destination and telling huge bullshits about what you did all day with your mates.
    Photos or it didnt happen.

And you are right.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    couple that with ageing riders who don't respond as quickly.........
    Which is why I joined IAM in my early 60's to extend my safe riding career and get rid of the inevitable slide in standards . Something never regretted: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...ills-some.html . (Mentioned with extreme reluctance as it will start cassina off again).

He probably won't thank me for it but seeing as it's in the public domain, fellow KiwiBiker member caspernz has written a brilliant blog about his journey to upskill from the viewpoint of an already experienced motorcyclist and what he has got from it. This is his first post: http://robvpnz.blogspot.co.nz/2015/1...roach-for.html . Just click on NEWER POST at the bottom of each page for newer posts. I think it clearly illustrates no matter how experienced we are, there is always something new to learn.

Thread Information